Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Another SnSK Question: Charcoal doesn't go out?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another SnSK Question: Charcoal doesn't go out?

So, I cooked some ribs last night low and slow with the SnS installed. When done I closed all of the vents. This afternoon (nearly 24 hours later) I opened the lid to clean and to add the KickAsh basket that arrived today. I noticed some warmth from the coals. I set the SnS onto the ground and, while I was cleaning the ash out of the kamado, the coals began to flare up - they never went out.

All vents were closed and appear to be sealed - no air gaps around the mountings, etc. The lid closes with the felt gasket making contact all around. I don't see an air leak anywhere. Has anyone else experienced this?

With my Cypress Grill the coals die completely when the vents are closed; and I KNOW it isn't completely air tight.

Some residual air is in there. Keeps it lit. Good or bad? Depends on how you look at it. Not surprised though. Not a big deal. Salvage or keep the charcoal… up to you

Comment

I actually had a lot more leaks than I originally expected with my kamado, which puzzled me. I noticed the leaks were mainly around the gasket. I went around and pinched all of the gasket to fluff it up a bit and it actually worked perfectly. I like free and simple tricks to fix stuff. Could help?

Comment

Air is getting in somewhere. Memory says that the instruction manual suggests closing the bottom vent first and leaving the top vent just ever so slightly cracked for a bit and then coming back later to close that down. Maybe check the manual and if I’m not making things up, try that? I can’t think of a reason why that would make a difference but maybe.

Comment

I have never noticed this with my SNS Kamado. It seems to snuff the coals fully after I close the vents. I've cleaned it the next morning anyway and not noticed any warmth or live coals. You might want to give the SNS Grills folks a call. Maybe the felt gasket down on the sliding bottom vent has a gap?
          Last edited by jfmorris; November 30, 2021, 07:16 PM.

Comment

• Oak Smoke
            Oak Smoke commented
            Editing a comment
            Feel the same way. Something is wrong. Both of my kamados snuff the coals out fairly quickly. I’m always amazed at how much charcoal is left when I open the top the next day.

Obviously something was ajar. The vents were tight when I checked them but I opened and closed them several times to be sure. I ran my hand over the gasket - no debris that I could feel. Just checked - everything is now cold so I must have taken care of whatever the cause was. Its pretty cool that the coals went for over 24 hours even though the internal temperature of the SNSK was only about 80-90 degrees (ambient here this evening was low 60s).

Comment

Drown with stir, drown stir again, Ops that is for a campfire.

Comment

• HawkerXP
              HawkerXP commented
              Editing a comment
              I thought you were talking PBR with a martini chaser!

Originally posted by 58limited View Post
            Obviously something was ajar. The vents were tight when I checked them but I opened and closed them several times to be sure. I ran my hand over the gasket - no debris that I could feel. Just checked - everything is now cold so I must have taken care of whatever the cause was. Its pretty cool that the coals went for over 24 hours even though the internal temperature of the SNSK was only about 80-90 degrees (ambient here this evening was low 60s).
            Glad you got this sorted because I was really scratching my head!

Comment

• 58limited
              58limited commented
              Editing a comment
              David Parrish Me too. I'm not new to kamados and haven't had this happen before. As I mentioned, my Cypress grill, before some refurbishing, had air leaks around both vents and a worn lid gasket and it still shut down when the vents were closed. This SnS Kamado is easy to use, really enjoying it. I'm going to break in the rotisserie with a free range chicken this weekend, weather permitting.
              Last edited by 58limited; December 1, 2021, 03:28 PM. Reason: words are hard, lemme alone

someone mentioned a gasket on the lower vent. I have a new sns kamado and have a serious air leak. my bottom ten does not have a gasket, so should it have come with one?

Comment

• jfmorris
              jfmorris commented
              Editing a comment
              The gasket I referred to on the lower vent is a little felt strip that is in the upper and lower track where the bottom vent slides. I think it is just to ensure a seal around the sliding vent cover. You should be able to see it just inside the bottom edge with the vent open - it's between the sliding part and the ceramic part, sandwiched in there.

If this is happening, you are not getting a tight seal somewhere, More than likely at the bottom or top damper.

The slides on my BGE are very tight. To the point where it does take a little bit of force to close them. This is exactly what I want.

If you have a cast iron chimney cap, this might be the issue. They tend not to seal completely. I use a Stainless cap from Ceramic Grill store. It seals very tight. I can go from 700 F in my BGE to an extinguished fire in no time. (Not that is has cooled to the touch, but the fire dies of starvation when I close everything)

Comment

Thanks guys for your replies. I tried some 3/8'' door weather stripping on the bottom vent and that worked very well. Just won't stay in place. I need to get some Nomex even thought the door weather stripping did not get hot. I emailed SNS 5 days ago but still have not heard from them. Bought a BBQ Guru DMX3 that worked very well. Still learning this pit and even with the issues I love it.

Comment

• jfmorris
                jfmorris commented
                Editing a comment
                The SNSK has. 5 year warranty on ‘all other parts’ which should include that bottom vent assembly. Longer on the stainless grates and ceramic parts. I think I would call them on Tuesday after the holiday. Or are they online only for support now?

I've tried a couple of times. Goes to voice mail then says send them a email. Very disappointing.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here