Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Suggestions for exploring features of the SnS Deluxe Kamado?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Suggestions for exploring features of the SnS Deluxe Kamado?

I am in the very lucky position of having just won the Grand Prize giveaway and selected the SnS Kamado. It arrives tomorrow afternoon! I'll probably inaugurate it with some reverse sear ribeyes because, as the current owner of a Weber with an Sns attachment, it's within my comfort zone, and I might as well kick things off with a win.

I know, however, that the Kamado, especially with all the SnS goodies that this comes with, can do a lot and that I will have a lot to learn and explore. What features/capabilities/set-ups have you found particularly useful/cool? I'm looking for next steps to expand my knowledge and skills to get the most out of this wonderful cooker. I'm looking forward to hearing your thoughts and, as I learn more, offering mine.

Congrats! That is the prize I would pick if I won.

Comment

I would start with a pork butt so you can see the difference in moisture content on a kamado and pork butt is super forgiving.

Then maybe do something like a pizza so you can see how it works at high temps.
      Last edited by STEbbq; May 9, 2021, 02:36 PM.

Comment

Try the fake Santa Maria setup for tri tip using the elevated grate over the sear section. Pizza at high temps in the top of the dome (heat diffuser on top grate). Turbo slow mode has gotten me better bark than setting it up like a kamado so I use that unless I need all of the grate space.

Comment

AdamG how are things going with that SNS Deluxe Kamado?

I've been using the heck out of mine since I won it in the January Great Giveaway. To be honest, I have found myself using it more in traditional kamado mode than I have used it with the SNS basket in place. I've used the SNS in it to be sure, just not as often. I love the extra real estate afforded by having the full 22" grate plus the elevated grate available when smoking (diffuser in place) or grilling (no diffuser).

Like jhapka mentions, I often use it with lump in the bottom, the stainless charcoal grate in place, and the elevated grate as well, and I can sear down in the bottom and cook on the 22 inch and elevated grates. I think I have direct grilled on the SNS Kamado more than I have direct grilled on my 22" Weber Performer in years.

I know many say you get better bark in "turbo slow" mode, but I'm getting great results even in kamado mode, but I am tending to run a little hotter (like 275) in kamado mode, versus 225. I think that leads to more airflow and better results.

Here are some pics of different setups I've done.

SNS (turbo slow) mode to do a pork brisket but with some beans on the elevated grate.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5204.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	3.71 MB ID:	1057182

Traditional kamado mode low and slow (275) to do a bunch of rib tips and skirt meat I had from trimming 4 racks of spares, and a 10 pound Boston butt for pulled pork. After the first few cooks and dirtying up the diffuser I decided to start wrapping it in foil. That makes it easy to pull off the dripping covered foil and toss it the next day after a cook.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5325.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	3.90 MB ID:	1057183

Traditional kamado mode but for pizza, it was pegged at 700 or more with all vents wide open, and I closed the bottom vent some to drop it to 600 for the pizza cook. I use a Lodge cast iron pizza pan instead of a ceramic pizza stone - I've broken those before and learned my lesson!

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5404 (1).jpeg Views:	0 Size:	3.21 MB ID:	1057184

SNS high temp mode for baking potatoes and grilling corn, and in this cased some front seared NY strips....

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5478.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	3.90 MB ID:	1057186

In SNS high temp mode again, this time to make chicken shawarma using the excellent recipe from the snsgrills.com website, along with some veggie kabobs...

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5489 (1).jpeg Views:	0 Size:	3.54 MB ID:	1057185

Here I used upside down grill grates (from my Weber kettle) to griddle fry potatoes and grill some fish... I just built a lump fire down in the bottom... probably would also be a good setup for the Drip 'N Griddle if you keep the heat down to around 350.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5112.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	3.67 MB ID:	1057187

And another time I did chicken shawarma and kabobs a different time with the fire in the bottom instead of in the SNS. For that cook I moved the chicken down to the charcoal grate temporarily to get a good sear, then added the kabobs on the main level while waiting on the chicken to hit 165...

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4871.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	3.02 MB ID:	1057188Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4872.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	3.17 MB ID:	1057189

I will close with what my 20-something kids all said was the best thing to ever come off the grill..... smoked Mac-n-cheese (and smoked baked beans)...

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5507 (1).jpeg
Views:	222
Size:	212.9 KB
ID:	1057190
          Last edited by jfmorris; July 8, 2021, 01:22 PM.

Comment

• jhapka
            jhapka commented
            Editing a comment
            Boy you’ve loaded that thing down

• Attjack
            Attjack commented
            Editing a comment
            *mic drop*

• jfmorris
            jfmorris commented
            Editing a comment
            jhapka Haha I suppose so, but you have to realize I am trying to use it as much as possible to replace both my Weber Performer (with SNS) and offset (which has a 24x36 cooking grate). I'm used to cooking lots at a time...

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here