Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Primo XL and Table Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This should fit your bill.

https://www.coversandall.com/custom-...nd-
    square.html

They make whatever size and shape.
    Last edited by Steve B; December 9, 2020, 11:18 AM.

Comment

• xaugievike
      xaugievike commented
      Editing a comment
      very nice....and simple to customize as well. Thanks for that.

• Steve B
      Steve B commented
      Editing a comment
      Anytime.

Very cool. You are quite talented. After building one these myself in the spring, I know how tough it can be to make things level and fit together. Your design is more advanced than mine. I went with a pretty straight forward approach. This is going be amazing, I can tell already. That Primo is gonna be mighty happy.

As for the hole placement.......

I vote off to the side. You will want the table space. That is where I put mine and I am so glad i did. I even sunk a concrete paver into the table top so I could set hot stuff on the table top.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8066.jpeg
Views:	327
Size:	90.7 KB
ID:	953243

Comment

Looks awesome!

My 2 cents on hole placement, put it far enough forward that when the lid is open the chimney will not hit anything behind it. I have to roll my table out a little bit so it doesn't hit the wall when I open it all the way. Also, I vote offset too, wish I had more table space, like Spinaker said and did.

Comment

Alright gang - here she is.

I obviously settled on the center-cut hole. From the get go I had intended to build this with an offset. However after staring at the pictures I posted last night and thinking about it a bit more I kept coming back to the center cut. A couple reasons....

My original design was a couple inches wider than I ended up going with. A couple of other builds I've done, including my concrete table for my WSCG (Ill see if I can rustle up a picture of that beast) have tended to be a bit bigger than maybe I actually needed. So from the get go I was telling myself to keep this more modest, and so after looking at my original layout I thought I could get away with shaving it down a fuzz.

A second reasoning was I audibled on the top. I was going to go with a simpler "picnic table" design originally, but changed over to the picture frame. As such, the offset version I thought looked kind of stupid with what it did to what would have been very short planks at the edge that would have been hard to hold down and keep from twisting, etc. In hindsight had I run the planks front to back instead of side to side I probably could have pulled it off, but I wasnt going to rebuild it at this point.

However, once I typed it out loud last night Im filing away the granite option if this top doesnt hold up well. If I do that - 100% chance I go offset.

So I'll let the oil dry over night and probably have to wipe a bit more on tomorrow and then we can hopefully get to the fun stuff this weekend!

Thanks for following along so far!
        Attached Files
        Last edited by xaugievike; December 9, 2020, 07:46 PM. Reason: found a pic of the concrete monster

Comment

• Steve B
          Steve B commented
          Editing a comment
          Looks really sweet. Just curious about the staple marks mostly on the left side running front to back?

• xaugievike
          xaugievike commented
          Editing a comment
          nail holes. filler blended well before I oiled, may have to dig it out and go with a different shade.

• Spinaker
          Spinaker commented
          Editing a comment
          The table is gorgeous. And it will look even better with that Primo sitting in there.

Now it looks good!
        Attached Files

Comment

• Jfrosty27
          Jfrosty27 commented
          Editing a comment
          👏👏👏👏

• Troutman
          Troutman commented
          Editing a comment
          Now you're showing off !!!!

• xaugievike
          xaugievike commented
          Editing a comment
          I am guilty Troutman...I wont argue that.

Very nice. Great work and this has been fun thread to follow. Enjoy!

Comment

• xaugievike
          xaugievike commented
          Editing a comment
          thanks, it was a fun build.

1st cook happening now
        Attached Files

Comment

• Attjack
          Attjack commented
          Editing a comment
          I like to put foil on my deflector plates.

• xaugievike
          xaugievike commented
          Editing a comment
          I debated it attjack. but obviously decided to let it roll. there is a foil pan under there (kind of an optical illusion in the photo, but it's under there).

• Attjack
          Attjack commented
          Editing a comment
          It just makes cleanup a little easier. I wrap them and leave it on for several to many cooks until I end up with build up on them then I change the foil.

You have those nice SS grates. I'm jealous.

Forgot an important detail
        Attached Files

Comment

- Really nice table.
          - Glad to see that you have a good air gap around the cooker.
          - BTW if you have a Restaurant Depot near you they have short sided rectangle and oval disposable aluminum pans that work great on the XL. Pretty much providing full coverage under the cooking grates.
          - Again great job on the table.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here