Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Uneven charcoal burn - new Primo XL owner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Uneven charcoal burn - new Primo XL owner

Quick question to you long-term XL owners. I'm now 5 cooks in, with 2 being slow pork butts (225-250 deg). My issue has been with the long cooks. At around the 10-12 hr mark, I start to lose grill temp and have had to wrap and finish the butts in the oven. After taking out the grates and plates, I notice the the charcoal has burned down the middle but not ignited either side. After shaking out the coals, this are plenty left. I lit in one spot on the left at the edge of the basket. Using a Kickash basket sitting on the stock charcoal plate. Am I doing something wrong, and any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

1st pic is immediately after cooldown and 2nd pic is the amount of coals left after shake down.

Click image for larger version

Name:	WIN_20201124_08_10_21_Pro.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	183.1 KB
ID:	944589Click image for larger version

Name:	WIN_20201124_08_13_11_Pro.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	184.8 KB
ID:	944590

I know everyone like to go low and slow but sometimes low is to low.
    Try upping your temps above 250.
    My BKK does the same thing from time to time, I take the meat and racks off stir up the coals/charcoal till it gets re-established, put it back together and let her rip again.
    Giant PITA but gets the job down.

Comment

I suspect you might be new to Kamado cooking. I do not have a KAB for my XL so want that to be known up front.
      - I light my lump centered on the bottom sliding damper in the middle of the lump pile each and every time.
      - I really never use any of my BGE's, Primo XL, or my Kikuya Hibatchi Pot for any cooking over 400°.

- How much lump did you start with? (This will be the common thread below)
      - Have you cleaned the ash out between cooks or at least once in the five cooks?
      - Did you remove the cast iron grate at bottom of firebox before installing KAB?

My longest Primo XL cook data logged with a controller (Smobot) is 31 hrs and 8 min on a full firebox of lump (mix of Rockwood and Royal Oak) doing 3 Boston Butts (avg 8.5lbs) on bottom grate with a temp set point of 225°F. I had approx 1/3+ of a firbox of lump left.
      Non controller longest cook in my cooking log for the Primo XL is 21 hrs 17 min at 250°. Timed with an el cheapo Timex. It was a Beef Shoulder Clod weighing approx 22lbs. Had a full firebox of Royal Oak lump and at conclusion of cook had beteeen 1/4 and 1/3 of a firebox left of lump.
      With my LBGE's with much smaller fireboxes I have had no issues with non controller cooks in the 12-20 hour range with full firebixes cooking in the 225°-275° range.
      I sure hope you get this figured out. You have a great cooker and should easily be able to cook through 12 hrs without losing temp.
      Last edited by tiewunon; November 24, 2020, 10:53 AM.

Comment

KAB filled to the top with lump and the basket was sitting on the stock cast-iron plate in the bottom of the firebox. I'll likely pull the plate for the next cook and see if that makes a difference.
        All the ash had been removed before the cook and I am new to kamado cooking.

Thanks for the replies!

Comment

• tiewunon
          tiewunon commented
          Editing a comment
          Wrone Take the cast iron grate out.
          Last edited by tiewunon; November 27, 2020, 03:36 PM.

I have a Kamado Joe big Joe, I usually light my fire right in the middle. I usually start my fire off hotter knowing it will drop off some overnight. Also get to know your vent settings. That will cone with time. For me I don't have a problem stoking the fire back up by opening up the vents, you have to be patient with kamado cooking.

Comment

Meathead suggests running a new cooker with out food to see how it operates, that is what I did with my Akron Kamado when I first bought it and I learned a lot. I have since upgraded to a Primo XL and I have no problems. I do not own a KAB as I feel they are over priced. I also calibrated my dome thermometer in boiling water after I purchased it.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here