Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lid bands. I don’t get it.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lid bands. I don’t get it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	03AF290C-3794-423C-B5CF-5B63CE71DB5E.jpeg
Views:	296
Size:	121.8 KB
ID:	904030

Name:	F38E1B8A-1E94-4649-AE8B-23E6827A1ABC.jpeg
Views:	279
Size:	144.4 KB
ID:	904031 We all know about and have seen the Primo XL lids go falling out of their expanded bands. We know about the vertical metal straps to fix it.

I have been told by helpful pit members mine was fine. I don’t get it. Please help me understand.

How does the vertical strap on the lower bowl portion of the cooker help the lid from falling out of an expanded lid band.

Thank you for your help.
    Sincerely,

Life Challenged in HB

Name:	FC8C0908-3AAF-494C-B4B6-0C6B817D9058.jpeg
Views:	276
Size:	128.6 KB
ID:	904032

Name:	BF68729B-26E8-4BF2-8354-78F88F6EF79B.jpeg
Views:	269
Size:	108.8 KB
ID:	904033

Name:	A642D0DF-3CD5-43A5-9347-75B7AB57AE14.jpeg
Views:	281
Size:	141.4 KB
ID:	904034

Name:	27BA406F-4A26-4292-BA11-1B7A45B290BA.jpeg
Views:	279
Size:	142.2 KB
ID:	904035

I've never even heard of the verticle metal strap nor do I have them...

IN

Comment

I'm guessing the lower band mounted on premod bowls could shift up and the top and lower band goes for a bad ride.

Comment

See you got the new band where you are not cranking down on bolts till they bend.
        The clip kit (Char Woody came up with the idea) intent is to keep the lower band in place vice slipping up over the top of the base and then letting the lid drop out of the band when open. That darn dome/lid is heavy. Many folks open it quickly and it would wobble/shake once opened causing that lower band to ride up the base.
        Still check tightness of band bolts periodically.

Comment

• HouseHomey
          HouseHomey commented
          Editing a comment
          Wasn’t figuring nor remember seeing the bottom band slip when viewing pics of failures and breakages. Thank you for this. I’m a dope for sure but I know it and asked.

I got all excited when I saw the title of this post. I thought we were going to be discussing paying musical groups with smokable green stuff.

Never mind.

Comment

• ofelles
          ofelles commented
          Editing a comment
          Some Screaming Yellow Zonkers also please.

• JimLinebarger
          JimLinebarger commented
          Editing a comment
          I think those would be called "Lit bands."

• crazytown3
          crazytown3 commented
          Editing a comment
          LOL this brought back some memories. Back in the day, I played in a "band", and we never made any money that I know of. We were paid in ummm "alternative means" haha.
          Last edited by crazytown3; September 1, 2020, 02:52 PM.

I personally think they put the band, I would call it strip so as not to confuse Ol Jim, on the bottom for assthetic reasons. Ya know, ya want the whole goods matchin like. How long did ya stay up at night figgiren & fretting why, why did they do that. An here’s the ringer, ya ask US why, like we’re supposed to know! Geez! Fire another one at us & see if we can help ya out.

Comment

• HouseHomey
          HouseHomey commented
          Editing a comment
          I’m absolutely LMFAO!

They could fix the issue at the factory by attaching a band strap on both the lid and the bowl. Or change the mold to add a lip for the bands to set into. Drilling a whole in ceramic seems to be just another potential failure point with the amount of expansion and contraction that goes on while in use.

Comment

• FireMan
          FireMan commented
          Editing a comment
          Eh HouseHomey , ya see what Jim did there? He didn’t call it a band so as not ton cause any confusion nor a strap but wormed his way with a band strap. Very clever. I was a little lost at the expansion & contraction thing though.

• ofelles
          ofelles commented
          Editing a comment
          right there with ya FireMan
          By the way who has my Screaming Yellow Zonkers!

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here