Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you wrap wood in foil on Kamado?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do you wrap wood in foil on Kamado?

Hello Kamado users. I ran across this video from Primo. It is to setup for low and slow. If you watch he says to foil wrap the wood chunks and leave some openings or poke with a fork.

Has anyone ever done this? I usually add the chunks as is. If you do this, what are the advantages?

Thanks in advance

Never done it. Never will.

Comment

Not ever had a ceramic cooker, but jus might have burnt a chunk or two of smoker wood...

Perhaps a reflection of my lack of experience with these type of cookers, an General Ignorance, but I am failin to ascertain any kinda advantage that might be gained by foil pouchin, vs chunks in th coals...
      Last edited by Mr. Bones; July 25, 2020, 06:36 AM. Reason: Ficksed me sume tipoes lol... ;-)

Comment

• pjlstrat
        pjlstrat commented
        Editing a comment
        You and me both.....

Like scottranda says: Never done it. Never will. Sounds like a completely ass-backwards thing to do. Does not make sense.

Comment

• pjlstrat
        pjlstrat commented
        Editing a comment
        That is what I was thinking as well.

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        Henrik Nice thing to add to yer already burgeoning Redneck vocab:

'Bass-Ackwards'

When I was jus a Young Pup, this was one of many euphamisms used by th Ol Timers, when us young'uns was within earshot.
        Last edited by Mr. Bones; July 25, 2020, 06:42 AM.

• Henrik
        Henrik commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks Mr. Bones, I got ass-backwards bass-ackwards ;-) Now I know :-)

First thought - I wouldn't wrap until it has decent bark...

Comment

• pjlstrat
        pjlstrat commented
        Editing a comment
        I have doing a dry brine on my applewood chunks overnight.....maybe that is why I am not getting the bark on them that I want ;-)

• Steve R.
        Steve R. commented
        Editing a comment
        I came here to say the same thing, in case somebody hadn't already. LOL

• JCBBQ
        JCBBQ commented
        Editing a comment
        The real question is after you wrap your chunk of wood, do you put it bark side up or down????

Chips will burn up fairly quickly because of shape and size, so this might be a way to get more "smoke life". That being said just use chunk wood, unless you've got a huge supply left over from your days with an electric box smoker or someone giving away chips they'll never use.,

Comment

I've been using my old Kamado #9 for 15 years or so. I'm a heathen. Not only do I not foil-wrap my wood chunks, I also don't wrap my deflector (which is now a Baking Steel after several ceramic ones died). But even more than that, I NEVER sort my lump. I just open the bag and pour it in--on top of what was left when I extinguished the old fire. I just jab a couple of times with my grill brush to move the ash down into the bottom of the bowl below the intake vent. The guy in this video seems to me to have just a bit too much time on his hands.

Comment

• pjlstrat
          pjlstrat commented
          Editing a comment
          Amen to that!!!

• EdF
          EdF commented
          Editing a comment
          Same here. The beer always seemed to need more attention than the lump, so I prioritized like a good cooker captain.

• JCBBQ
          JCBBQ commented
          Editing a comment
          Haha Jim, you’re so right! Sorting lump...lol, so dumb.

Negatory in the wrapping in foil.
        Use both chips and chunks, really don’t see the benefit of wrapping unless it helps with ash clean up

Comment

• painter
          painter commented
          Editing a comment
          When I first got my primo I looked at the video and wrapped chunks--once. Even doing it one time I thought "this is ridiculous".

I've done It a couple times. Don't bother, it's a waste of time.
        Last edited by Mosca; July 25, 2020, 11:28 AM.

Comment

Never

Comment

Maybe they soak better that way.

Comment

I did it long ago with chips. The idea is to get them to smolder vs just burning up on the coals quickly. Chunks? No need.

Comment

• tiewunon
                tiewunon commented
                Editing a comment
                ^^^^^This^^^^^ the smoldering part and Derald said it in that video if I recollect.

• EdF
                EdF commented
                Editing a comment
                I guess when it's just chips that can make sense.

I used to wrap the wood chunks but then I tried not wrapping them. It works perfect without wrap. In fact after it's done smoking it just turns into lump charcoal and burns as such. Now if it were wood chips I would suggest wrapping them to keep them from catching on fire and burning up too quick. I use a Primo XL. LOVE IT! As much as I'd like to own other grills my Primo does it all so it has saved me a lot of money and grief from the wife. LOL SMOKE ON PILGRIMS!
              Attached Files

Comment

I did for a while but do not anymore.

Comment

Dang I wish I wasn't so lazy! (I didn't read all the reply's) I did go look at the video it was made in 2016. Before Franklin's told the world about the virtues of Butcher paper. Probably the reason, The video is old. Opps see Im so lazy I didn't finish the post. Nope don't wrap my wood dont soak them either. ok back to bed...
                  Last edited by GadjetGriller; April 2, 2021, 03:11 PM.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here