Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Reverse Sear Question(s)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reverse Sear Question(s)

I would love to know how everyone does a reverse sear on the primo......From what I read a reverse sear is done low and low up to temp below your final, then screaming hot till done to sear, easy enough to setup on the primo but I find the temp at low and slow, while perfect for this part of the cook is not hot enough when I move over to direct heat for the sear, I find I have to open up the dampers, and leave the lid open and wait a while for the coals to get screaming. So basically the meat "rests" during that time. Is this the same for all of you or am I missing something?

Thanks in advance.

That's the same for pretty much any cooker, except for probably a gasser. I do exactly the same on my Broil King Keg and my Napoleon kettle with the SnS when I do a reverse sear. Nothing wrong with a short rest. Low and slow to the IT you want, remove and loosely cover with foil, then reverse sear.

Comment

• pjlstrat
      pjlstrat commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you!!

• pjlstrat
      pjlstrat commented
      Editing a comment
      tiewunon Was thinking about getting the cast iron grates from BBQ guys that sit right down on the fire box, with no legs

• tiewunon
      tiewunon commented
      Editing a comment
      pjlstrat I have the cast iron grids somewhere. George (old owner of Primo) gave me a set when I picked up my Primo at the mother ship. Lot of work keeping then seasoned.

Don't be afraid to pull your steaks off and put them on a plate over there for a few minutes while the coals heat up. If you have a BBQ Dragon, (or hair dryer) they make quick work of that part.

Comment

• pjlstrat
      pjlstrat commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you

Let the steaks rest plenty of time in between the low n slow and the sear. This will let it cool so you don't over shoot it on the sear.

Comment

• pjlstrat
      pjlstrat commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you

Pretty much. Just like they said above.

They can "rest up" some clicks but it’s no big deal.

quality meat even above desired doneness is still tender. Quality meat is equally important.

I personally think too much attention is paid to the look of the meat (rare, mid rare, med etc..) rather than the doneness. Kinda like crispy chicken skin and crispy bacon..... It’s good but not a necessity.

I digress again...

Comment

• pjlstrat
      pjlstrat commented
      Editing a comment
      thank you

If you don't want to wait while the coals heat up, another option could be to light a chimney towards the end of the low-and-slow cook so you have a chimney of hot coals ready to add to the grill when you are ready for the sear.

Comment

• pjlstrat
      pjlstrat commented
      Editing a comment
      Great idea, thanks.

• pkadare
      pkadare commented
      Editing a comment
      Or put a grate on the chimney and sear them that way.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here