Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lazy Man Chicken Perfection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lazy Man Chicken Perfection

Ok, I’ll admit it. I’m lazy. But this "skill" has caused me to adapt. For years I had been trying to grill w my Primo based on the excellent advice on this forum. But, most of y’all have very different cookers. The fact is that a kamado just cooks differently. Of course you can cook directly but one of the greatest features of ceramic cookers is the radiant heat coming off the dome. Soooo, you don’t have to prep a chicken the day before or rub it w baking soda etc to crisp the skin. Just spatchcock the sucker and crank up the heat. Most of the time I cook a spatchcocked bird around 400. Tonight I channeled my inner Risky Business and decided, sometimes you’ve gotta say what the f&@k Joel, and cooked it at 500.

The prep: This was a bird that had no lengthy prep. I took it out of the sealed package tonight. Spatchcocked it, patted it dry, rubbed it w the juice of one lemon, salt and rosemary and then rubbed the bottom all over w a paste of garlic from a whole head of garlic.

Cooking: I used the deflector plates and cooked it at 500 for about 20 mins - skin side up. 500 is pretty hot, when you open up the kamado, flames are licking up around the deflector plates. I flipped the bird - skin side down- for about 10 minutes. The temp was about 150 so I flipped it back over and cooked it for a little longer. Crispy skin and charred all over. Super juicy. Amazing flavor.

Also, the smashed beets w goat cheese and salad were Devine.

Click image for larger version  Name:	3DFF63F1-949F-438A-B838-270C5E03F9CC.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	4.26 MB ID:	853889Click image for larger version  Name:	0B54612F-E759-4D74-9B56-EC5DD96274EF.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	5.20 MB ID:	853890Click image for larger version  Name:	137FEF28-EDAB-4433-9B2F-6E1AE5C55CCB.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	2.54 MB ID:	853888
    Last edited by JCBBQ; May 29, 2020, 07:51 PM.

You rocked it Erik. 👊👊
    And I bet you didn’t get nearly as sweaty as if you were rolling around on a mat with another sweaty individual. 😁😂😂😂

Comment

• JCBBQ
      JCBBQ commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm dreaming of getting that sweaty again.

• HouseHomey
      HouseHomey commented
      Editing a comment
      Hmmmm...🤔🤔

• JCBBQ
      JCBBQ commented
      Editing a comment
      HouseHomey 😂😂😂

Nice! I learned from using my vortex that the hotter the better for chicken, as long as your cooking indirect.

Comment

That there yardbird's a Slam Dunk 3-pointer, there, Dr. J!

Nice Job, Brother!

Comment

• JCBBQ
        JCBBQ commented
        Editing a comment
        Thnx Bones

That looks like a quick fix. I typically do mine at 375. I picked up a crispy skin tip that holds promise rather than air drying in the frig and coating with baking powder. Blow dry the skin with a hair dryer. So far so good.

Comment

• JCBBQ
        JCBBQ commented
        Editing a comment
        Lazy man says skip the blow dryer and try hotter - just for giggles

That chicken never knew what hit it.

K.

Comment

• JCBBQ
        JCBBQ commented
        Editing a comment
        Lol

Good job. I agree - hotter is better for chix.

Comment

That is a nice looking bird!!! I am going to give your method a try tomorrow.
        Here is another trick for crispy skin on a kamado that I learned from my JN neighbor while stationed in Japan.
        After all your prep is done and just before you put the chicken on the grill (now dont get a rope to string me up) boil a pan of water and quickly pour that over the chicken skin. The skin will shrivel up and shrink a bit and turn lighter or translucent. Then breakout a can of PAM or now that Duck Fat is prevalent and spray down the bird. In my Primo XL I cook the bird in the 330° to 350° range. I get a good crispy skin.
        or
        As you mentioned use the dome assist but use the extend a grids and put the spatched bird closer to the dome in the 400° to 425° range.

Comment

• JCBBQ
          JCBBQ commented
          Editing a comment
          My next cook I plan on cooking higher in the dome. I’ll report back.

Good gawd yes!!!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here