Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

FINALLY fired up the darn thing. Bout time!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You da man!

Comment

Break it in right. Teach it who's the BOSS.

Comment

Pork fat rules!!!

You da man!

Comment

I once cooked #40 pounds on my BGE and it took 22 hours. You might try running your dome temp to 300 before putting the diffuser and meat in. It is also possible your probe was too close to the meat. I believe the recommended distance in one inch.

Comment

• HouseHomey
            HouseHomey commented
            Editing a comment
            Dang! That’s a lot of pork.

• LA Pork Butt
            LA Pork Butt commented
            Editing a comment
            HouseHomey I was cooking for 75+.

• HouseHomey
            HouseHomey commented
            Editing a comment
            My kind of party.

Well, if nothing else you know that table is sturdy! That’s a lot of weight.
          Nicely done.

Comment

I'm assuming that Homey will be in a pork coma for the next 36 hours. I know I would be...

Comment

• HouseHomey
              HouseHomey commented
              Editing a comment
              I’m outta the first coma and in my second one. I think I might have been the Chips Ahoy cookies. Clarifying.... not the rack of ribs and countless pieces of pork butt with crunchy hot fat and soft meat. No, not that.

Did it mess with air flow much? I find most of my cookers cook better at it near Max capacity. Good looking cook. Next time see if you can fit a whole hot in there!

Comment

Awe man that looks excellent! No meat to be had in these parts now. It’s all horded away. Gonna eat me some cereal!

Comment

texastweeter I was too quick to load it up with cold meat after lighting it up from the cold. Once I had her going though it was solid until I started playing with the vents towards the end to see what it would do. Things a beast man. I love it.

I was surprised how well it responded being loaded and huge. But that was once she was going. I didn’t want to overshoot the temp so that caused me some delay when I should’ve brought it up hot and guided it through. I think that what LA Pork Butt basically was getting at, right?

FOGO is the Bomb!!

The flavor on those dreadful skinny (I was duped) "country ribs" was amazing!!! Had a spot of apple chunk in there too. I’m used to fat country ribs but at least these crisped up very well.

The graph was dreadful but I learned a lot on this cooker today.

I remember when I got my 83’ Buick La Sabre. I had the 8 track bumping and I got on the 55N at 4th street in Santa Ana. I hit the gas on that long freeway on ramp and I was flying.

then I hit one of those long smooth freeway bumps approaching the 22W and I swear I got air in that boat. As I’m trying to maintain control I also hit the curve of the 22w transition so I was swerving while bouncing up and down all while bumping my 8 track which was playing the grease soundtrack. Don’t ask.

What I’m trying to say is that’s what my graph reminded me of. My out of control Buick playing the 8track.

Man, I loved that car. Once you got her running she was solid.
                Last edited by HouseHomey; March 14, 2020, 09:00 PM.

Comment

• texastweeter
                  texastweeter commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I like the grand nationals myself. Should been playing ZZTop.

• jfmorris
                  jfmorris commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Grease is the word, or so I hear...

Go Cowboys!

and sweet set up!

Comment

• HouseHomey
                  HouseHomey commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Yeah baby!!

Go big or go home. Glad to see you went big with that first cook, HouseHomey . That delicious food won't last long, I'm guessing.

Congrats on taking that Primo on such a well-executed maiden voyage.

Kathryn

Comment

• HouseHomey
                  HouseHomey commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Can’t wait for my wet aged brisket. A couple weeks from now.

The Primo heat deflectors are very thick, and really do keep the heat down in the firebox. I was as surprised as you when I had to really open up the Primo Junior to get 250-275. I took mine out to get up to 450 for baking bread. I custom cut a pizza stone to fit. It was about 1/2 the thickness of the Primo heat deflectors. I have also used a metal heat deflector.

Is that a Primo XL?

Comment

• ComfortablyNumb
                  ComfortablyNumb commented
                  Editing a comment
                  HouseHomey I just pulled a chicken out of the freezer. Need to cook them up so I can try to get Mrs. CN bless the purchase of a flock of Cornish Game Hens.

• HouseHomey
                  HouseHomey commented
                  Editing a comment
                  ComfortablyNumb Do they lay eggs?? Little ones maybe? Or do they turn into regular chickens. Must have been hungover that day in culinary school.

• ComfortablyNumb
                  ComfortablyNumb commented
                  Editing a comment
                  HouseHomey In theory, yes they can lay eggs, In practice, no. They are hybridised to be a meat bird, and are meant to be butchered at 2.5 lbs live weight, so they are basically a one meal bird, per person! https://www.mcmurrayhatchery.com/cornish_game_hens.html

Nice!!! I went into a food coma just looking at it.

Comment

Make sure the unit is fully heat soaked before adding the meat. I let mine sit for about a half hour after it comes up to temp. This will help a lot and it will let the ceramic do the work.

Also, the thermo stem might be really close to the meat when you close the lid. That will effect it too. ()Although I know you were using the Thermoworks thermo too)

So I like to heat up the kamado, then add the heat deflector. Then let that soak, and allow it to come up too temp.

Comment

HouseHomey I used to use BGE charcoal in my primo and if I left both vents open I could easily get it screaming up to 600. I switched to FOGO and am thrilled with how big the pieces are but I to have struggles to get the temp control I want or need. Same as you it is too low with everything wide open. I am using the huge super premium chunks now...next bag may be one less than that with a bit smaller chunks, and see if that helps. Good luck with it!!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here