Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Primo XL pizza attachment or Ooni?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Primo XL pizza attachment or Ooni?

I currently own a Primo XL. I am considering the pizza accessory for it at approximately $350, or a separate pizza oven. I am favoring the pizza attachment for Primo right now, because of space on the deck. Has anyone used the pizza oven gizmo for the Primo?
    Primo’s Pizza oven accessory helps maintain cooking temperatures in the grill while cooking multiple pizzas. Eliminated is the need to open the entire grill when adding or removing pizzas.       WARNING: This product can expose you to chemicals known to the State of California to cause cancer. For more information, go

As a Primo XL owner with a gas fired pizza oven I greatly prefer the pizza oven. Pizza at my house is an easy and quick meal. I take some dough out in the morning. When I fire up the pizza oven, in the 10 minutes it takes to get to temperature, I make my pizza. The whole process takes about 15 minutes or so. If I were to use my Primo it would take much longer.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20221026_191816~2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.07 MB ID:	1327932
    Last edited by Attjack; November 16, 2022, 12:04 AM.

Comment

• hoovarmin
      hoovarmin commented
      Editing a comment
      This is not a healthy discussion for my MCS

• Attjack
      Attjack commented
      Editing a comment
      On the contrary, this is a very healthy MCS discussion regardless on where you stand on the options we're debating.

Click image for larger version  Name:	68F21DA5-7298-402B-B4D2-D9C5986CDF58.jpg Views:	9 Size:	3.13 MB ID:	1328038 I’m not familiar with Primo’s pizza attachment, but I much prefer my pizza oven to messing with a grill. It’s easier, more convenient, and my pizzas are more consistent, so I use it more often. I have the same issue with deck space, and I’d stick with the oven even if had to store it in the garage.

I love my Gozney Roccbox, which is currently 20% off, although there are lots of good choices out there.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	C0062244-A0B7-4360-B84A-626F2B8444E6.jpg Views:	9 Size:	1.81 MB ID:	1328037
    Last edited by Sid P; November 16, 2022, 09:15 AM.

Comment

I have the Primo XL pizza attachment and it works well, from what I have read/watched most experts say a pizza oven takes about 30 min until the stone is completely heated, so it does not matter what you use for a heat source. My primo with pizza attachment easily gets to 700F, I had trouble getting my Primo this hot before. I have a round Primo pizza stone and I usually put my pizza on parchment paper. The pizza should be rotated as it cooks.

Click image for larger version

Name:	CC34DD9A-87C0-4E3F-A3DB-60B9EA59267B.jpg
Views:	425
Size:	220.2 KB
ID:	1328046

Comment

• Attjack
        Attjack commented
        Editing a comment
        I can't speak for the Ooni but my Blackstone gets to temperature in 10 minutes. I just turned the dial, click the button, and walk away. Then I set a timer for 10 minutes and prep the pizza.

Name:	20180226_190610.jpg
Views:	403
Size:	75.2 KB
ID:	1328053

I top out around 900f.

Comment

Another thing I can do with my gas fired oven is to adjust temperature on the fly. Depending on the pizza, I will often launch the pizza with the oven on full blast and then turn it down for a bit. Sometimes I turn it back on high once again for the final seconds.

​​​​i also find this ability useful when I'm cooking other stuff in the oven like steak for instance.

Comment

• Attjack
          Attjack commented
          Editing a comment
          Sid P That picture up there makes me want to try making Detroit Style pizza.

• Sid P
          Sid P commented
          Editing a comment
          Attjack It’s our favorite kind.

• Attjack
          Attjack commented
          Editing a comment
          Sid P Can you tell me a little about it? Dough recipe? Technique?

As a Primo XL owner i'll make my recommendation. I mean, I make excellent pizza in the Primo without the attachment. I don't think you need that. Sooooo, if youre gonna buy something anyway, i'd say get the dedicated pizza oven.

Comment

Name:	B1769312-717F-4F2B-89E2-04DE9FAB9CCE.jpg
Views:	368
Size:	142.4 KB
ID:	1328769 Attjack This thread is great, and I use the dough recipe he describes on page 4, post 47: https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...zza-techniques

I use the sauce and cheese described in "The Pizza Bible", and I can get you that info if you don’t have the book.

I tried using cheap baking pans, and they don’t work at higher pizza oven temps. This one works perfectly: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Enjoy!
          Last edited by Sid P; November 16, 2022, 10:25 PM.

Comment

• Attjack
            Attjack commented
            Editing a comment
            Excellent, thanks!

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here