Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What to use to re-finish a table

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It’s finally finished…for now.

A lot of sanding, some more pressure washing, a couple mistakes, and even a do-over or two (which caused more sanding and pressure washing…)

Fired it up and played with temperatures yesterday, then cooked burgers and hot dogs. They turned out fine.

I have a couple of beginner’s questions:

1). How high of temperatures can this handle? After cooking, I wanted to do a high-heat burn off. I opened the vents a little over halfway. Temps got to 650ish at grate level and were still climbing. I chickened out, closed the vents and shut it down.

2). Does anyone use a grate cleaner like the Grill Rescue brush on a ceramic grill? I have a cheap, generic one (to prove the benefits to SWMBO, to justify buying the original…) but worried that dripping air-temp (cool) water onto hot ceramic might be a bad idea.

Thanks for all the info. I don’t post a lot, mostly because I can find almost all the info I need in prior posts. You all are a huge, stress-removing (which is rare on the inter webs…) resource.

Click image for larger version

Name:	C48ABE82-0A70-4B64-A312-6363289EADEB.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	231.5 KB
ID:	1302552

Click image for larger version

Name:	1B5E29E3-F5E4-4778-A24A-9F38DAE40335.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	253.7 KB
ID:	1302553

Comment

Beautiful! Looks brand new, or likely even better than it did when new.

Comment

I’m no help with your temperature question, but damn you did a good job! That looks great.

Comment

Great job, it looks amazing. I hope it cooks as good as it looks!

Comment

You will always be glad for the effort you put into this beautifully restored cooker! Nice job! Cook with pride. Very well done!

Comment

Very well done.

As long as you can put your hand on the outside, you can run it as hot as it will go safely. You can really go even hotter, but then it would be good to measure surface temps with an IR thermo.

Comment

That looks great. Congratulations.

Comment

Gorgeous. Something to be very proud of. Now let’s get cooking! 😊🤣

Comment

Great job!
                    Thermal shock is definitely not a good thing for most ceramics. Heat and cool gradually is best for longevity. Throwing cold water on a really hot rock and pick out the splinters...

Comment

You did good. By taking the time to sand and prep you made that Teak oil finish pop. Something to be proud of.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here