Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thoughts on a Primo XL Oval

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thoughts on a Primo XL Oval

So I made the mistake of checking Facebook marketplace and saw a Primo XL with the cypress table for 800 in really good condition.

I have no experience with komado cookers. I know the price is really good, I just don't know if I should be interested since I already have a kettle, WSM 22, and MB 1050.

AND now the seller tells me they would take 600 not even negotiating. My wife would kill me. Ugh, I hate MCS. Why did I have to look??

I cook on a Big Green Egg. If it is not the Jr. and it includes the table it seems like a bargain even if the warranty isn’t transferable​​​​​. The plus for the Primo Oval over the Big Green Egg is the ease of creating a to 2 zone fire. It would be a set it and forget it cooker for 12+ hours, great for roasting and baking and can’t be beat for cooking in cold weather. Keep us posted.

Oh, I just noted it is an XL high makes it a super bargain.
    Last edited by LA Pork Butt; October 20, 2021, 02:52 PM.

Comment

As a former owner of a BGE (sold it with the house) and the SNS Komado It's a no brainer, go for it! That is a tremendous deal, especially if they will deliver it for you!

Comment

The first thing I did was checked to see if you were near me, I might have bought it out from under you.

Comment

I am no help as I just bought a kamado to compliment my MB560. I felt like it was a different enough experience to be worth it and I spent $200 on my Akorn! A Primo at that price…

Comment

I sure like mine. For $600 you could get it and play with it. If you don't like it you could sell it for a profit.

Comment

• jpietrantone
              jpietrantone commented
              Editing a comment
              This is my thought as well as long as the dimensions are not too big to fit in the garage along with everything else. Any idea how heavy the cooker is? Could one person lift it into a truck?

• Attjack
              Attjack commented
              Editing a comment
              I carried mine into the backyard after removing everything inside and the lid (which is apparently not recommended). It was heavy and worse than that it was hard to get a hold of.

Go to YouTube for some ideas on movers for Kamados. I made one for my Egg

Comment

If your young and good looking you can always find another wife....just sayin....

Comment

• Murdy
                Murdy commented
                Editing a comment
                I got a kamado for my wife, best trade I ever made.

• Dr. Pepper
                Dr. Pepper commented
                Editing a comment
                Hey, Murdy , that's a different thread! (Rodney Dangerfield and Kamado, who knew? 🤷🏻‍♂️)

So after thinking more on this, I've decided to not to buy this grill. I know it's an awesome cooker, but it's about the same size as my weber kettle. I think I would rather get a 26 inch kettle or possibly a pellet smoker in the future. Thanks for everyone's input though!

I can't believe I resisted the urge. Haha

Comment

• Richard Chrz
                Richard Chrz commented
                Editing a comment
                For a couple more hundred dollars, (if you were comfortable with 800), I’d pass on the 26 kettle and get a 24 summit kamado from Weber instead.

• jpietrantone
                jpietrantone commented
                Editing a comment
                Richard Chrz I honestly wasn't comfortable with 800. When they offered it for 600 I got a lot more interested. I'd love to have a weber komado at some point. I just can't bring myself to spend that much right now. I know it's worth it.
                Last edited by jpietrantone; October 21, 2021, 12:45 PM.

I love my kamado. Had that been near me I would have been all over it like ugly on an ape.
              Last edited by Oak Smoke; October 20, 2021, 10:02 PM.

Comment

Ummmmm. I would certainly reconsider. That is an insane deal for that. I would be all over that. Cooking on a kettle and an Oval are two different experiences. For 800 clams? That thing would already be on my patio. And at $600? That is unreal. If nothing else, buy and flip it for profit.

Comment

• jpietrantone
                  jpietrantone commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Spinaker I know this is an amazing deal. What are the main differences between the 2? I'm also worried about how to get this on the bed of my truck since I don't have a trailer or hitch.

• Spinaker
                  Spinaker commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Kamados offer much more temp stability when cooking. You can also cook a variety of different foods to perfection. Kamados are basically outdoor ovens. The refractory heat you get off the lid is perfect for char cheese in a pizza cook or glazing meats. Also, with a Primo you get true two-zone cooking. That is huge, IMHO. You can also get Kamados ripping hot with out issue and that is really where that two zone cooking comes into play.

• Spinaker
                  Spinaker commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Kettles are great, I like mine too......but Kamados are in a whole 'nother league. And Primo is top of the line and made in the USA. The only one that is these days. Win/Win.

Due to Spinaker and everyone else, I have changed my mind and got the go ahead from the boss. This grill will be mine! Thanks as always for all of the help and suggestions.

Just couldn't pass it up. Hoping to pick it up Saturday.
                Attached Files

Comment

• Attjack
                  Attjack commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I could check for you later. You can definitely put big butts up there.

• jpietrantone
                  jpietrantone commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Attjack thanks...no rush. I'm thinking I may get the second rack in the near future.

• Attjack
                  Attjack commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I just have 1 and only use it occasionally. Nice to have though.

I picked up the Primo XL and it's in excellent condition! Even came with the diffuser plates. I'm really excited for this find!

Only thing I need to do is replace the back wheels.

Comment

Leave it up to the pit to convince anybody to buy anything...
                  But really, it was a great deal and congrats on scoring a great cooker. Like others have said you would be able to sell that for as much if not more than what you bought it for, but I'll bet once you start playing with it you'll never consider that option.

Comment

• jpietrantone
                    jpietrantone commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Andrrr I bet you're right! I think one of my buddies is going to buy my WSM 22 from me. Hate to see it go but can't keep them all.

I'm interested to see how often I use my kettle in the future.

• Andrrr
                    Andrrr commented
                    Editing a comment
                    jpietrantone I sold my 22" WSM to help offset the cost of my WSCG and earlier this summer my 22" kettle bit the dust so now all I have is my WSCG for grilling (plus a 14" smokey joe but we won't count that). I haven't had any urge to buy another kettle or WSM... yet.

• Attjack
                    Attjack commented
                    Editing a comment
                    When I got my Primo I smoked and grilled on it a lot. I even considered selling my 26" kettle which had been my go to grill. These days I use the Kamado frequently, mostly for smoking, and grill on a 22" performer or blaze gas grill most often.

My advice would be to explore all the capabilities of the Primo.

👏👏👏👏 Great RE-think. I love mine. There’s an argument to be made that this is the best all-around cooker out there. Definitely the Swiss Army Knife of cookers. Congrats.

Comment

• jpietrantone
                    jpietrantone commented
                    Editing a comment
                    JCBBQ thanks for the advice! That makes total sense on the level of smoke at 225. I was playing around with having it hold around 225 and then 250. I typically smoke between 250-275. I guess I'll shoot in between these the first couple times to see how we like the smoke. I grilled up some pork chops tonight and my wife said they were my best yet. So far so good!

• JCBBQ
                    JCBBQ commented
                    Editing a comment
                    My last observation is regarding the ceramics. This cooker preforms virtually identically in the winter as he summer. That’s bc once you heat soak the ceramic, cold weather won’t change how it cooks. Understand you need to give your cooker at least 45 mins to warm up. That allows you 365 days a year of cooking. 🎉🎉. One of the great benefits of ceramic is the heat bouncing off the top onto your food. Spatchcocked chicken is perfection around 400 degrees in 45 mins bc the skin gets crunchy.

• JCBBQ
                    JCBBQ commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Enjoy the adventure!!

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here