Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thoughts on a Primo XL Oval

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Did that table come with it?

Comment

• jpietrantone
      jpietrantone commented
      Editing a comment
      tbob4 yes sir it did. I also got the ceramic plates for smoking, 3 bags of charcoal, and an electric fire starter.

• tbob4
      tbob4 commented
      Editing a comment
      Wow! As I read the post I wanted to scream "do it!" Then I read that you said "no" and I felt bad for you. Your renewed interest had me excited. When I saw the table I was screaming at the phone in my head. I am sure glad you pulled the trigger. Another member who I get to live vicariously through!

• jpietrantone
      jpietrantone commented
      Editing a comment
      tbob4 I'm so glad I did! I had never seen a Primo before and am so impressed with the quality. I definitely feel like I got the deal of the century. I'm afraid my other cookers are going to start feeling neglected.

I never dreamed that I could ever afford this high quality of a cooker.

How did you get that one home?

Comment

• jpietrantone
      jpietrantone commented
      Editing a comment
      STEbbq I talked the guy into helping me load it into the truck. I followed Attjack advice to empty the cooker, and we lifted it into the truck. We then slid the cart in next to it. Of course, it downpoured as soon as I got it home, and I quickly covered it with the cover it came with.

So working from home has its benefits. The old girl sure cleans up good! Any critiques on coal would be appreciated. I'm doing a practice run to try to learn this new cooker.
    Attached Files

Comment

• efincoop
      efincoop commented
      Editing a comment
      I just sold my Vision Kamado. I always started with the top & bottom vets wise open, then typically started closing them after the kamdo hit about 125. By then I knew the fire was burning well. I always worked the bottom vent first. I found that has the biggest effect on temps. Then once I got the bottom vent to 1/4 inch or less I would start closing the top vent. A good analogy to keep in mind is that it is like slowing a train. You need to start sooner rather than later.

• efincoop
      efincoop commented
      Editing a comment
      ....ran out of space. If it stops before your target temp, you can always nudge it higher.

• JCBBQ
      JCBBQ commented
      Editing a comment
      That looks sharp!!

jpietrantone Great buy! I'm late to the game, but would have urged you to get it. I love my SNS Deluxe Kamado. I've only used my Weber Performer a few times this year - to use the rotisserie and the vortex. The rest of the time I've been using the kamado. I've found that once you learn the "kamado way" and learn the vent settings to get the temps you want, that it is rock solid, and I've not even bought an adapter to use my fan controller on it - and I'm 10 months into kamado ownership!

I've found that the best readily available lump charcoal here in North Alabama is B&B lump, available at Academy sporting goods stores. Lowe's also carries it, but its actually cheaper at Academy. I am sure you have one up there in Tennessee somewhere nearby. At $12.99 for a 20 pound bag, its a good deal. I've found the kamado will run for 18+ hours on about 10 pounds of lump, and still have a little left to burn when I shut it down. For many cooks, I run it, shut the vents, then relight the same charcoal for the next cook, after stirring it to get the ash to drop below the cast iron grate. After a few cooks, I'll remove the cast iron grate in the bottom and scoop out the ash that has built up down there.

Comment

• jpietrantone
      jpietrantone commented
      Editing a comment
      jfmorris I love that idea! Unfortunately, my mother in law was diagnosed with alpha gal, so she can't have beef, pork, lamb (any hoofed meat). So, I believe it will be the standard turkey. Just don't know if I will fry it or smoke it hot and fast.

• jfmorris
      jfmorris commented
      Editing a comment
      jpietrantone last year I did a rotisserie turkey on the Weber kettle and it was top notch. The year before that I deconstructed two turkeys, and smoked them at 350. The year before that I spatchcocked two turkeys. I think if you have the room and are not averse to doing some butchering, the deconstructed turkey was the best, as each piece was cooked to the perfect temperature.

• jpietrantone
      jpietrantone commented
      Editing a comment
      jfmorris very interesting! By deconstructing, I'm guessing you "quartered" the turkey? I hadn't thought of that but it makes a ton of sense.

jpietrantone Yes - the deconstructed turkey is quartered. In my case, I would break it down to the two large split breasts, the two wings, and the two leg quarters. I deboned the thigh and tied it back up last time I did this, like the pictures below. I thought this was a published technique on the free side of AR, but I don't see it. I'll have to figure out where I found this method.

I think in the case of this photo the wings had already been removed from the grill, as they were done.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0176.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	3.08 MB ID:	1114007 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0179.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	4.06 MB ID:	1114008
    Last edited by jfmorris; October 22, 2021, 03:06 PM.

Comment

• jpietrantone
      jpietrantone commented
      Editing a comment
      jfmorris that looks awesome! I definitely need to try this!

One more suggestion (like you need another!) Consider getting the kick ash basket along with the nifty little divider they now make https://www.kickashbasket.com/Primo-300-LG_c_58.html That was a great addition to my kamado. It definitely improved airflow, burn efficiency and made clean up much easier.

Comment

• jpietrantone
      jpietrantone commented
      Editing a comment
      efincoop thanks for the suggestion! I will look into it.

• Dr. Pepper
      Dr. Pepper commented
      Editing a comment
      efincoop Spinaker I just visited the Kichashbasket website. Question re: The 'Ring of Fire' for a 22" Weber kettle. How does that change anything, vs simply using the stock charcoal grate that comes with the kettle? Is it simply the ability to pick up the cold basket before the next cook and shake off the ash? Is there anything else I'm missing? (Especially if one already has a SNS basket)
      Thanks

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      It replaces the grate at the bottom of the grill. I am not sure it is nesseary for a kettle. It is more about airflow for kamados. They have so little airflow that plugging ash can kill a cook. Which is why the KAB is helpful. It replaces the grate and allows for more airflow. it does make clean up easier too. I'd say I would pass if you have the SNS basket already. Dr. Pepper

Yeah, I have found that B&B is the best coal for value and use. It is great stuff and reasonably priced. FOGO is my favorite to use, but it is expensive. I will use Cowboy in a pinch but I really try to avoid it if I can.

Comment

Since I was doing a low and slow dry run, might as well crank up the temp and do my first cook on it!
      Attached Files

Comment

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        Domination Station!

B U Y I T !

Comment

• HawkerXP
        HawkerXP commented
        Editing a comment
        OOPS . ENJOY IT!

• jpietrantone
        jpietrantone commented
        Editing a comment
        Primo! Primo! Primo! 🤣😂

I've had mine for going on 4 yrs now. It will last forever and is very versatile as stated. Once you learn where to set your vents you will never want to cook on anything else. Easy to clean too. Just run it as hot as you can for a couple of hours then use a stiff bristle brush and done.

You made a great decision especially for that price!!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here