Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thoughts on a Primo XL Oval

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jpietrantone
    commented on 's reply
    JCBBQ thanks for the advice! That makes total sense on the level of smoke at 225. I was playing around with having it hold around 225 and then 250. I typically smoke between 250-275. I guess I'll shoot in between these the first couple times to see how we like the smoke. I grilled up some pork chops tonight and my wife said they were my best yet. So far so good!

• JCBBQ
    commented on 's reply
    The other important difference is regarding how efficient this cooker is. I find the "smoke" at 225 if almost imperceptible bc there isn’t much combustion occurring to maintain that temp. You’ll never get the smoke flavor of an offset but I much prefer the flavor profile I. The 275-300 range. That’ll sound odd to you but allow yourself to be open to how this cooker operates.

• JCBBQ
    commented on 's reply
    jpietrantone couple things to think about. This cooker works VERY differently than your weber. Your first challenge will be temp control. Don’t get anal about specific temps bc you’ll drive yourself crazy trying to dial in a specific temp. Tiny movements in the vents can create wild swings. Give yourself time to see where your cooker rests with various openings. It will find a temp and lock in for a good 6 hours. Be patient snd figure out how it works.

• HawkerXP
    commented on 's reply
    OOPS . ENJOY IT!

• HawkerXP
    replied
    B U Y I T !

Leave a comment:

• jpietrantone
    commented on 's reply
    jfmorris that looks awesome! I definitely need to try this!

• jpietrantone
    replied
    Since I was doing a low and slow dry run, might as well crank up the temp and do my first cook on it!
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• jpietrantone
    commented on 's reply
    efincoop thanks for the suggestion! I will look into it.

• Spinaker
    commented on 's reply
    Also a great idea. And a must if you ask me.

• Spinaker
    replied
    Yeah, I have found that B&B is the best coal for value and use. It is great stuff and reasonably priced. FOGO is my favorite to use, but it is expensive. I will use Cowboy in a pinch but I really try to avoid it if I can.

Leave a comment:

• efincoop
    replied
    One more suggestion (like you need another!) Consider getting the kick ash basket along with the nifty little divider they now make https://www.kickashbasket.com/Primo-300-LG_c_58.html That was a great addition to my kamado. It definitely improved airflow, burn efficiency and made clean up much easier.

Leave a comment:

• jfmorris
    replied
    jpietrantone Yes - the deconstructed turkey is quartered. In my case, I would break it down to the two large split breasts, the two wings, and the two leg quarters. I deboned the thigh and tied it back up last time I did this, like the pictures below. I thought this was a published technique on the free side of AR, but I don't see it. I'll have to figure out where I found this method.

I think in the case of this photo the wings had already been removed from the grill, as they were done.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0176.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	3.08 MB ID:	1114007 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0179.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	4.06 MB ID:	1114008
    Last edited by jfmorris; October 22, 2021, 03:06 PM.

Leave a comment:

• efincoop
    commented on 's reply
    ....ran out of space. If it stops before your target temp, you can always nudge it higher.

• efincoop
    commented on 's reply
    I just sold my Vision Kamado. I always started with the top & bottom vets wise open, then typically started closing them after the kamdo hit about 125. By then I knew the fire was burning well. I always worked the bottom vent first. I found that has the biggest effect on temps. Then once I got the bottom vent to 1/4 inch or less I would start closing the top vent. A good analogy to keep in mind is that it is like slowing a train. You need to start sooner rather than later.

• Spinaker
    commented on 's reply
    Wow! Like new brotha! You got a steal!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here