Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tips/tricks/hacks for a new Primo XL owner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tips/tricks/hacks for a new Primo XL owner

So my new outdoor kitchen is finally done, and my Primo is in place and ready to go. I had a BGE for 10 years so not a newcomer to kamados, but certainly new to Primo and 2-zone cooking.

So the first question i had was, how do you decide to run a half firebox vs a full firebox and deflector for a 2 zone? And, whatever other tips/tricks/hacks do you have for helping me make my Primo sing?

Looking forward to learning from all you experts!
    Attached Files

Nice set up!
    BKK owner here, no help with your Primo.

Comment

May I suggest a fire break between the cookers and the wooden fence?
      your new kitchen looks really nice and useable too.
      Happy grilling to you and PBR too,

Comment

• Twisted Martini
        Twisted Martini commented
        Editing a comment
        Was planning on a welding blanket on the fence next to the Primo…not so much worried about heat as my BGE table was wood also, more the sparks when you are getting it going.

I don't post much so sorry for the late reply. The only time I put the divider in my Primo was when I would do reverse sear on steaks or chops and needed to eventually crank up the temp to sear above the lump. All other times I just loaded a full box, stacking some wood chunks with the lump right above the vent opening at the bottom (to the left of center) and light the lump right there as well. That seemed to work more efficiently than lighting in the center and tossing wood chunks on top.

Then the next time you use it just rake out the ashes and top off your lump charcoal and you're good to go!

I sure do miss my Primo. I built my outdoor kitchen around my Primo and had to leave it when we moved last year. I'm stuck right now with a small pellet grill until I figure out what I want to get next, probably another Primo. I cook some good BBQ on the pellet grill but I cooked some amazing BBQ on my Primo! I can definitely tell a difference.

Comment

I don't decide to run a half firebox. I can divide my firebox, I have the metal plate thing. But something occurred to me. Why not just use HALF of the heat deflectors? Isn't that doing the same thing without having to remove the charcoal, divide the box, then put the charcoal back in? Just start the fire on one size of the box. Or put a cast iron plate on an inverted grate over the direct heat, it will get hot.

Just watch out for the flashover. I do not know how much direct heat grilling you did in the egg, but I discovered that when the temperature hits 300 and above, closing the lid means a lot of combustible gasses get trapped and are hot enough to ignite but lack oxygen. Opening the lid solves the oxygen problem. It is worse when you are doing direct cooking and all that fat is dripping on the hot coals. WHOOSH! Then your eyelashes are all curly and sizzled.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here