Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

To add a Kamado???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To add a Kamado???

I have several charcoal/wood burning grills/smokers, and probably will add a MB 1050 after my move to AZ. I never thought I would ever be interested in a ceramic grill, but I am!!
    Kamado Joe III Classic really has my attention. Then reading ceramic reviews here I was exposed to the Vision S series and the Primo XL Oval. The Primo can be set up for true 2-zone cooking, however, the KJ has the Divide and Conquer and the SloRoller. The Vision is very similar to the Classic II, with a few interesting features.
    The KJ and Primo XL are similarly priced, and the Vision is half the price.

Any input from this august group will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

WSCG

Comment

I'm pretty cheap, so for me, if there are 2 things that have similar features and one is half price, that's what I buy.

But I feel obligated to encourage your MCS and say just buy all 3. That way they don't get lonely

SnS also has a kamado with 2 zone cooking. Don't know if that's on your radar.
      ​​

Comment

• Driverdan
        Driverdan commented
        Editing a comment
        Wow, the SnS is a definite contender! Thank you!

You won’t go wrong with the Primo xl.
      It’s an awesome cooker.
      If I didn’t get a couple of great deals on my large BGE and KJ jr I would be owning one right now.

Here’s someone who recently got one. And I’m sure he’ll chime in. HouseHomey

Comment

Kamados are one of those items where you get what you pay for. If it costs half as much, it’s probably half as good. Pony up the bucks and buy from the upper shelf, you’ll never regret it.

Comment

I am a BGE guy, but the Kamado Joe is a good cooker, too. I hear nothing but good about the Primo, and as you noted the primo does a better job with a two zone fire. It is probably a bias, but I think a round cooker would distribute the heat more evenly than an oval one would when doing low and slow or roasting/ baking. I think some questions to ask yourself might be: Will this be my one and only cooker? If not, how will I primarily use it? Most of my cooks are for my wife and me, and I am doing more small cooks and grilling. I find myself firing up my Weber Jumbo Joe more frequently than my BGE.

Comment

LOVE my PrimoXL and after Mosca I got nothing.

Take a KJ for the win, Primo xl perhaps?

Comment

I like the 2 zones and real estate I get with the Primo XL. The new owners are gearing up to release new accessories which have been one area KJ was dominating. If you get a new Primo, which I recommend, make sure you get a new model with SS grates and the new hinge.

Comment

While I've never experienced the Primo, I have BGE and it's not the best solution for when you want both a slow and low and a high and fast sear option. The ceramic hold so much heat, that it's sometimes impossible to change temperatures over a wide range within a reasonable amount of time. While it's easier to go from 300 to 600, it's virtually impossible to go from 600 to 300 in less than a half hour or more.

Comment

You should look at the SNS Kamado.https://snsgrills.com/collections/gr...s/kamado-grill

Comment

I always wanted an oval Primo, but circumstances led me to the SnSK (Slow 'N Sear Kamado) and while my kamado experience is limited and limited to it, it is wonderful. To be fair though, I have never heard anyone complain about any of the reputable brands. Only complaints I've read about were Akorns and Broil King Kegs, but that's not to say they aren't good, they are just affordable, like the Masterbuilt you're considering. Like Mosca says, you get what you pay for.

Comment

• Driverdan
                      Driverdan commented
                      Editing a comment
                      As of this moment, the SnSK is at the top of my list.
                      I may not go with the Masterbuilt, since the SnSK appears to fill most of my needs.
                      Last edited by Driverdan; July 24, 2020, 02:53 PM.

I recently bought a Primo XL and I like it, the main reason I bought this was two zone cooking and it is made in the USA, the BGE is made in Mexico and I think everything thing else is made in China. I am cooking pulled pork as I write this.

Comment

I have a monolith Jr kamado (£500 model for a 13 inch grid, an expensive brand in the UK, I won it) and a Louisiana grills 24 inch from UK Costco, which cost me 580. I can see where costs have been cut (quality of finish, quality of ceramic, needed to apply gasket tape to inside of daisy wheel for a snug fit, had to administer a few love taps to the bottom damper to make the sliders fit snugly for optimum temp control).

Outside of the above mentioned, on everyday use I've yet to see a difference. Longevity could be one but then again most of the kamados mentioned so far are all made in the same factory in China.

If I were to buy with a good budget, I'd go primo all the way.

Comment

- Something that needs to be said is the product coming off each kamado pretty much tastes the same. It's the cook/spicer not the cooker.
                        - There is a thermal difference/charcoal usage between the different brands its negligible with the exception of the KK which is in a league of its own.
                        - Production is either North America (USA/Mexico) or Asia (China or Indonesia) and I believe Grill Dome maybe made in India.
                        - I will say the Big 3 are Big Green Egg, Primo, and Kamado Joe (in order when came to market). Colors now are Green, Black, Red
                        - If you want something in another color you need to shop Grill Dome, or Sapphire. Not sure of Monolith but the Sapphire looks identical.
                        - Lots of Kamado's are made by Auplex (Asia/China) and sold by various names througout the market.
                        - Warranty is huge. Not all warranties are the same and claim procedures vary amongst the different companys.
                        - With all that balloon juice said I think you will be happy with any of the Kamado brands on the market.
                        - Me personally I have a clay Kikuya Hibatchi Pot (1977) Bought my first of 4 BGE's in 97. At that time you had your choice of one of RJ's Kamado's, BGE or Grill Dome. I wanted to see what I was buying so I bought a LBGE.
                        - In 00 when George brought Primo to the market I bought and oval at that time they were gray in color. I gave it away 2012 to a friend and bought a Primo Oval XL (2016)
                        - In 2017 I stumbled into a deal I could not refuse and bought a Kamado Joe.
                        - So essentially I have zero brand loyalty. Each has +/- attributes.
                        - I will admit me personally which means zilch its hard to overlook the oval shape of the Primo for large cuts of meat. It is smaller than the Big Joe and others on the market but when you add the real 2 zone capability its a tough package to scratch off the list.
                        - I will also admit that the Primo will be the last one I pass down to the kids and other family members. I promised my wife after getting out of the "Canoe Club" I would move to Florida. My better 90% is starting to rattle that sword that we must move south. I have tied that move to the eventual purchase of a KK.
                        - I will be happy to answer any questions you have concerning the Kamado's I own. Good, Bad, Quirks, et al...
                        Last edited by tiewunon; July 24, 2020, 04:06 PM.

Comment

• DavidNorcross
                          DavidNorcross commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Words of wisdom.....

WSCG the most versatile grill

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here