Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do you light your Kamado?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do you light your Kamado?

I am curious as to how you light your Kamado for low and slow. I have used a chimney starter if I want to get the temp up quite high, but if you are doing low and slow ,lighting a small fire makes it easier for controlling. I have used the BGE starters with some success but would love to hear what you folks use.

BTW I love the FOGO charcoal when it is lit, it's the lighting part I struggle with at times.

Hi I use Weber cubes. Just put one or two in the back and let it light the coals. Give yourself plenty of time to let the temp slowly rise to desired temp. Then let it stabilize for a while and heat up the ceramic, letting it settle in and rise up to target temp. It always takes longer than I think and if I overshoot I have to constantly adjust the vents. If I ease into the target temp and let set up properly it is very stable.

Comment

I use a heat gun to start the charcoal in two places that allows the fire slowly starting heating up the unit, once it gets to 175F I start closing the top vent to slow things down when cooking temperature is 225F for smoking. Meathead says operating one of these cookers is like driving a truck you have to start braking early.

Comment

Grill Torch Propane Charcoal Starter is the fastest, cord free, minimal sparking, and efficient way to light charcoal.

This is what I use.

Comment

• pjlstrat
          pjlstrat commented
          Editing a comment
          That is a cool looking little gizmo

I use starter squares buried on edge in a full load of charcoal running left to right facing the Kamado so that it is perpendicular to the front edge of the fire grate. I light the two corners, open the bottom vent all the way, close the dome and remove the top vent. When the dome thermometer reaches 300 I put a chunk of wood on the fire, put in the diffuser, water pan and grate and set the bottom vent for one quater inch and install the top vent on my BGE with the daisy wheel set at 1/2. When the Egg settles down to 225 I put the meat on.

Comment

I typically put a half load in the egg, then scoop a half chimney out and light the latter with a starter. Since it's the Chimney of Insanity, I hook the BBQ Dragon to it and get it all ashed over, then dump it into the egg, spreading a bit across the top. Once it starts to take (pretty much right away) close the lid, lower vent to ~1/8-1/4" open, and the upper to suit conditions, but generally not too open unless it's still on the low temp side or a bit early in the "white smoke" phase. Then micro-adjust the upper to the desired range, or let the Smobot do it. Lately, the Smobot usually takes over right after adding the lit ones in the chimney.
          Last edited by EdF; June 7, 2020, 10:43 AM.

Comment

I have a MAPP torch that I use that is one of the ones that you can use inverted (I use LP since it and my Weber preformed use the same canister). I light up 1 spot for low and slow, 2-3 spots for roasting, and the 5-6 for pizza/blast furnace. I wouldn’t say I recommend going out at buying one Just for lighting the grill, but if you’ve got one hanging around from sweating pipe joints or metal work, Torch on!

Comment

• scottranda
              scottranda commented
              Editing a comment
              Same here. I also let the dome temp get up to maybe 300, throw some wood chunks on, then heat deflectors and grates. It settles in around 225 or 250.

• BGWolf
              BGWolf commented
              Editing a comment
              I do the same, 1 spot in the middle for low & slow, 4 spots for grilling

I utilize a full firebox of lump. I light a single starter cube whether going for a low and slow or something hotter. Typically place the starter cube in lump pile (centered) towards the bottom damper. Use this method on my Kikuya Hibatchi Pot, BGE's and my Primo XL.
            Once the fire cube burns out I set my plate setter/D-Plates/diffuser in place. I have lower damper wide open (unless using a controller) and the daisy wheel slider portion wide open. At about the 185° point I side my bottom damper to 1/2 open and daisy wheel slider 1/2 open. You will see the temp drop then come back up. At that point start dialing in your temp in small increments. For the 225° - 250°F range my lower damper is 1/8 to 1/4 inch open the slider on the daisey wheel is closed but have an opening of 1/4 or so on the petals.
            Not sure how the Regulator works if you have that.

Comment

I use one of these. They’re typically $10-$15, and last about 5 years.

Click image for larger version

Name:	EE4643A1-6E74-4512-9675-ED55F440C5CB.jpeg
Views:	179
Size:	13.2 KB
ID:	858341

Comment

• FireMan
                FireMan commented
                Editing a comment
                I haven’t seen one of those in decades. Didn’t know they still made em. 👍

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here