Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MCS strikes again!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tbob4
    commented on 's reply
    You are the man, Spinaker. Thanks a ton. I have absolutely no idea why I didn’t know about these. Has my head been in the sand? That was rhetorical- I know the answer. HA!

• Spinaker
    commented on 's reply
    Yeah, I have both. The basket allows the ash to be shaken out after the cook, and the ash pan makes taking out the ash super easy. I still use my small shop vac, but it really has nothing to suck up. The basket really shines in terms of airflow. It never clogs up and the lump always stay lit. It is so much better than the cast iron fire grate. The ash pan does not restrict any airflow, especially when paired with the basket.
    tbob4

• tbob4
    commented on 's reply
    I swear to you Spinaker, you love putting a hole in my pocket. I could have gone my whole life not knowing about that Kick Ash Basket! My current system involves a lot of labor and a big shop vac that I convinced my wife we needed for the ash. Dagnabbit. Seriously though, do you have both the basket and the ash pan? If so, does the pan restrict incoming air-flow at all as it fills during long cooks?

• surfdog
    commented on 's reply
    +1
    Yep, it’s a good primer on the kamado.

• LA Pork Butt
    commented on 's reply
    Chief1232. Yep! You’ll have plenty charcoal left. Just stir an add more for the next cook.

• Spinaker
    commented on 's reply
    Yep, just close up shop and let it die.

• EdF
    replied
    Here's a great book on getting the most out of a kamado. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Not a lot of recipes, but a lot of useful info and ways to use it.

Leave a comment:

• RonB
    replied
    Congrats on the new cooker.

Leave a comment:

• Chief1232
    commented on 's reply
    Perfect! When you fill the fire box all the way up do you just close the vents and let it starve the oxygen to put out the fire? (Assuming there is still unburnt charcoal in the bottom)

• LA Pork Butt
    commented on 's reply
    I’ll second Spinaker and would add filling the firebox to the same level no matter what you are cooking or how long will give you consistency in adjusting temperatures. I smoke roast boneless skinless chicken thighs all the time T 375 dome temp for about 4o minutes.

• Skip
    replied

Nice New Kamado. Good thing you found it before you spent the money on something foolish.
    I often use my BGE for pizza.
    Last edited by Skip; March 2, 2020, 10:54 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Skip
    commented on 's reply
    +1 on The Kick Ash Basket.

• ComfortablyNumb
    commented on 's reply
    Or at least until his next CL sale!

• ofelles
    replied
    Congrats. That should keep you busy for a while.

Leave a comment:

• Chief1232
    commented on 's reply
    Thank you! Those are exactly the accessories I was looking for. I think the drip catch can on the deflector plate would be a great addition.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here