Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MCS strikes again!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MCS strikes again!

Well I ended up selling some stuff on craigslist this weekend and then had some cash burning a hole in my pocket. I happened to go to Costco and saw this shiney new Kamado made by Louisiana Grills for $599. I thought that wasn't terribly priced for a 24" Kamado.

It came with the heat deflector, and a double level grate, also has side shelves. Overall seemed to be pretty good construction!

Now I just need to figure out how to use it!! I did the first cook of some chicken thighs.

Some notes from the first cook:

-Seasoning they told me to only use 1 handful of charcoal, that was not enough.
    -I almost ran out of charcoal on my cook, almost.
    -The directions said you could let everything drip onto the heat deflector. That doesn't seem quite right. What does everyone else do with their deflectors? Wrap them in foil?
    Attached Files

For my kamados I use the Smokeware drip pan. They are great. they clean up well and they have lasted for a long time.

You can also use cheap, aluminum pie pans. Allowing the drippings to go on the defector is not a big deal, per se, but it makes a mess and it can leas to the dripping hitting the charcoal. This can cause problems.

As for the seasoning, I am not sure why they said to only use a small amount of lump. Simply fill up the firebowl with some high quality lump and let it go. Like to use a Torch to light mine, I have the Benzomatic TS8000, which is great for starting a small hot fire.

Also, I would look into getting a Kick Ash Basket. They are great for easy clean up and those long cooks. The basket does not get plugged up with ash like the cast iron fire grate will.

Make sure to give this thread a read. There is a ton on information on getting this rig dialed in! Congrats on the new Kamado!

Comment

• tbob4
      tbob4 commented
      Editing a comment
      I swear to you Spinaker, you love putting a hole in my pocket. I could have gone my whole life not knowing about that Kick Ash Basket! My current system involves a lot of labor and a big shop vac that I convinced my wife we needed for the ash. Dagnabbit. Seriously though, do you have both the basket and the ash pan? If so, does the pan restrict incoming air-flow at all as it fills during long cooks?

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah, I have both. The basket allows the ash to be shaken out after the cook, and the ash pan makes taking out the ash super easy. I still use my small shop vac, but it really has nothing to suck up. The basket really shines in terms of airflow. It never clogs up and the lump always stay lit. It is so much better than the cast iron fire grate. The ash pan does not restrict any airflow, especially when paired with the basket.
      tbob4

• tbob4
      tbob4 commented
      Editing a comment
      You are the man, Spinaker. Thanks a ton. I have absolutely no idea why I didn’t know about these. Has my head been in the sand? That was rhetorical- I know the answer. HA!

Congrats. That should keep you busy for a while.

Comment

• ComfortablyNumb
      ComfortablyNumb commented
      Editing a comment
      Or at least until his next CL sale!

Nice New Kamado. Good thing you found it before you spent the money on something foolish.
    I often use my BGE for pizza.
    Last edited by Skip; March 2, 2020, 10:54 AM.

Comment

Congrats on the new cooker.

Comment

Here's a great book on getting the most out of a kamado. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Not a lot of recipes, but a lot of useful info and ways to use it.

Comment

• surfdog
          surfdog commented
          Editing a comment
          +1
          Yep, it’s a good primer on the kamado.

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here