Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MCS strikes again!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spinaker
    replied
    For my kamados I use the Smokeware drip pan. They are great. they clean up well and they have lasted for a long time.

You can also use cheap, aluminum pie pans. Allowing the drippings to go on the defector is not a big deal, per se, but it makes a mess and it can leas to the dripping hitting the charcoal. This can cause problems.

As for the seasoning, I am not sure why they said to only use a small amount of lump. Simply fill up the firebowl with some high quality lump and let it go. Like to use a Torch to light mine, I have the Benzomatic TS8000, which is great for starting a small hot fire.

Also, I would look into getting a Kick Ash Basket. They are great for easy clean up and those long cooks. The basket does not get plugged up with ash like the cast iron fire grate will.

Make sure to give this thread a read. There is a ton on information on getting this rig dialed in! Congrats on the new Kamado!

Leave a comment:

• Chief1232
    started a topic MCS strikes again!

MCS strikes again!

Well I ended up selling some stuff on craigslist this weekend and then had some cash burning a hole in my pocket. I happened to go to Costco and saw this shiney new Kamado made by Louisiana Grills for $599. I thought that wasn't terribly priced for a 24" Kamado.

It came with the heat deflector, and a double level grate, also has side shelves. Overall seemed to be pretty good construction!

Now I just need to figure out how to use it!! I did the first cook of some chicken thighs.

Some notes from the first cook:

-Seasoning they told me to only use 1 handful of charcoal, that was not enough.
    -I almost ran out of charcoal on my cook, almost.
    -The directions said you could let everything drip onto the heat deflector. That doesn't seem quite right. What does everyone else do with their deflectors? Wrap them in foil?
    Attached Files

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here