Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Frozen Kamado

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Frozen Kamado

I live in Massachusetts and in the winter time by Kamado grill freezes shut and I can't get the lid open to cook.

Two questions:

1) Anyone know how I can prevent this from happening?

2) Anyone know the best way to open a frozen Kamado grill?

Thanks for any feedback.

Bill

Not sure how to open, but something like wax paper when has cooled down should do the trick when you are finished cooking.

Comment

I have the Keg and have never had that problem but I do keep it covered year round.
      As for getting open depending on the size of the lower damper build a small fire in there and let the heat do its job.
      You could flash a blow torch around the gasket between the body and lid where it looks frozen as a last resort....very last....

Comment

Hair dryer.

Comment

I know I've read guys starting a very small fire to slowly heat things up.

Comment

Yep, use some tumble weed starters (or any starter) and push a few coals in there thru the bottom vent and leave it for 30 minutes.

To avoid having mine freeze again I just place a log between the lid and the bottom half, so it’s open 3-4 inches. Done deal, works every winter.

Comment

Well the Houston winters aren't so tough. Move on down to Texas pardner! No state income tax and brisket goes on sale all summer. Plus, the lids never freeze.

Comment

• EdF
                EdF commented
                Editing a comment
                Yabbut then there's Houston summer - a whole different quandary! ;-)

• texastweeter
                texastweeter commented
                Editing a comment
                EdF make man outta ya. Put some hair on yer knuckles.

• EdF
                EdF commented
                Editing a comment
                Already got plenty - gift of the genetics. ;-)

I've always said I'd miss the seasons moving to Texas....man I'm an idiot....

Comment

I take the chimney Cap off and drop in some paraffin cubes or I light some lump and drop it in the top. Then I damp it down a bit to trap the heat.

A good way to keep it from freezing is to keep it covered, but even then, it can still freeze shut. After I am done cooking, I will damp down the whole kamado, seal it up tight and let it burn out. I think it helps to bake the gasket out and dry it out.

Also, your gasket might be old and in need of replacement.

Comment

• tbob4
                  tbob4 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Good answer even though mine has never experienced that. I routinely burn things hot at the end for cleaning. You answer makes complete sense. That's why you are a Moderator!

• EdF
                  EdF commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Good reminder. I haven't had that issue since I stopped using a gasket.

Easy fix buy a cover end or keep inside. Mine sits on the deck with a cover and no issues.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here