Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I think I just saved a couple hundred bucks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think I just saved a couple hundred bucks

I've mentioned in a couple of threads lately that I was planning to retrofit the heat deflector hanger in my ancient Kamado #9 so that I could drop in an SnS. I've always assumed that the configuration of this beast just doesn't adapt to a quick sear. I was challenged in that assumption recently in a thread here (sorry, I forget now who it was and what thread it was, but I owe you a Secret Santa gift or some such). The problem (I thought) is that this thing is so large, the fire grate sits a full 18 inches below the cooking surface. Here's an old pic of it opened up to show the scale of things. The disk at the right is a baking steel that I have subbed in for a ceramic heat deflector. I realize this means I'm now working with a radiator instead of an insulator under the grill, but I prefer the net effect of a very uniform heat distribution throughout the chamber. (In low and slow, I set things up so that the controller fan basically doesn't cycle at all for at least the first 5 or 6 hours.)

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1633.jpg
Views:	433
Size:	227.9 KB
ID:	798830

But before investing in the SnS, I decided to prove to myself that it's needed. I've been on my own this weekend, and I remembered I had one last one pound ribeye in the freezer, so it seemed perfect for playing around at lunchtime before settling in for football later. I dry brined for around four hours. I hit it with a very heavy layer of POG (2:2:1 peppernion powder:garlic powder) and put on in low and slow at 225 in heavy hickory smoke (sacrilege, I know) and took it off the grill at 115 internal. Since I now own a pair of PittMaker gloves, I was able to carefully remove the grill, the water pan and the baking steel. I then chucked in a bunch more lump and put the grill back in place. I opened the vents for full heat and closed the lid for a few minutes. I decided things were probably hot enough when the temp gauge in the lid (yeah, my next purchase will be an IR gun, why do you ask?) topped 650. I did a full minute with the lid closed on each side and then went open with flipping every 30 seconds or so. When my Thermapen said 130, I pulled it of.

This doesn't give the inferno full justice, but here's a pic in the latter stages:

Name:	IMG_0516(1).jpg
Views:	268
Size:	179.8 KB
ID:	798831

And here we are when it came off. Boy, was I surprised!

Name:	IMG_0517(1).jpg
Views:	238
Size:	244.0 KB
ID:	798832

The POG carmelized well, but if you look closely, there's even a fair amount of Maillard browning between the grill lines.

And the result:

Name:	IMG_0519.jpg
Views:	242
Size:	215.1 KB
ID:	798833

This was just wonderful eating. Further refinements to play with will be to use more patience and get things even hotter. Also, I think I'll stop low and slow at 110 and only sear to 125 next time. I really prefer a steak a bit more rare than 130 with the Thermapen. I'm also contemplating dropping my Lodge skillet in there for a more uniform searing surface, or even getting a second baking steel that I keep clean to put on the grill surface (then I can move to pizza out there, too!).

All comments and suggestions are welcomed as I think through this a little further.

Great experiment Jim and it sounds like you were the winner of the lottery without buying a ticket!

Comment

I'm wondering how often the dog heads outside only to be stopped cold by what he smells in the cookers...

Comment

• Jim White
        Jim White commented
        Editing a comment
        Heh. Since they're strictly outside dogs, they only rarely get table scraps. Usually only at outdoor parties. But I did give them some beef rib bones last night. They seemed very happy with them.

How about just letting that baking steel get to warp 10 and sear on that? That's what I do with the flat side of GrillGrates and love the results. Did a couple of NY's last week that were fantastic.

Comment

• Jim White
        Jim White commented
        Editing a comment
        And I'll add, it looks dangerous to me if I leave the steel down at the deflector level. I'm only comfortable with bringing it up to the cooking surface.

• CaptainMike
        CaptainMike commented
        Editing a comment
        That's a man with a plan!

• Skip
        Skip commented
        Editing a comment
        You've got this Jim White .

Pretty much the same ritual I go thru on my Keg if I want to sear.
      The Keg comes with a tool to lift the grate after that I loose most of the hair on my arms removing the diffuser.
      If I know I'm going to sear I can raise the firebox prior to lighting the charcoal, like you I can get it up to 6-700 F when I completely open the dampers.
      Can't make any mistakes lifting that stuff out though.
      For a heat deflector I'm looking for and appropriately sized disc off a Farm Disc, a buddy of mine had one in a Weber grill.
      When that thing got hot look out, but like you are looking it gave off for very uniform heat.

Comment

Good write up on your experiment. But if you buy another Baking Steel, you will cut your savings in half.

Comment

• Jim White
          Jim White commented
          Editing a comment
          But think of the savings on pizza!

(Of course you're right...)

That's an awesome Kamado you have there - I assume it is from the predecessor to the Kamodo-kamado company. I think you ought to be able to make that bad boy do about anything once you work out the technique.

Comment

• Jim White
          Jim White commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks. It's from the old company called Kamado that was in San Diego. I think they did their manufacturing in Mexico. In retrospect, it's pretty embarrassing I've had it so long without getting up to speed on all of its capabilities.

• fzxdoc
          fzxdoc commented
          Editing a comment
          Agreed. That's a pretty kamado.

K.

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here