Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ceramic vs Steel Heat Radiation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ceramic vs Steel Heat Radiation

I've managed to obtain authorization from my wife to purchase a Kamado-style grill, so now comes the hard part: choosing one. My back yard is up several flights of stairs from my front yard, which means whatever I buy needs to make that journey. There is a good chance I'll move in the next few years, so it'll probably have to make that journey twice... All of which is to say that the WSCG has a certain appeal.

For those who have cooked on both steel and ceramic kamados, do you find that there is much difference when cooking at high temperatures? I've cooked on a BGE and I felt like I was able to sear the top of the food, because the ceramic top was radiating so much heat down onto it. I assume this isn't true on a steel kamado, and that cooking, for example, a pizza you'd be much more reliant on convection. Do you notice the difference? What about for meats?

Even if there is a difference in favor of ceramic it may not be enough to outweigh the pragmatic benefits of steel for me, but I haven't managed to find much discussion of radiant vs convection heating in these grills so was curious what you all think.

I have a WSCG and a BGE XL and I have cooked on both. I have more experience with the BGE. I am still figuring out the WSCG

BGE Pros:
    More mass with the ceramics. They take longer to heat up but stay hotter longer and may be slightly more stable.
    Great Low and Slow
    Can get really hot for good searing
    More like an oven I do feel you get more heat radiating out of the thick ceramic walls.
    I would choose the BGE for Pizzas
    I have a Woo Ring and the Ceramic Grill Store plate setter so I can pull out the grill grate and plate setter to add charcoal.

BGE Cons:
    Takes longer to heat up ceramic mass
    More mass means that it is harder to bring temps down if you overshoot target.
    Heavy and fragile.
    Not as good at two zone or direct grilling.
    Need rig to lower grill grate to get closer to fire
    Have to pull everything out to add chunks and charcoal
    Need to pull everything to clean ash

WSCG Pros:
    Good at Low and Slow
    Insulated to hold heat and remain stable yet less mass means you can correct temps if you overshoot.
    Great at direct and two zone cooking
    Sears very well
    Fire grate has two levels.
    Easier to switch out heat deflectors
    Easier to add wood chunks and more charcoal because of hinged grate and deflector
    Lighter not fragile
    Gas Assist lighting
    Easier to clean ash

WSCG Cons:
    Less mass means less stability and less oven like cooking
    BGE better at pizza (I assume)
    Longevity not proven

These are just my initial thoughts

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here