Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cooking with wood on a kamado

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cooking with wood on a kamado

I've been grilling and smoking on my LBGE for 8 years now, and I'm thinking of trying something new. Has anyone experimented with cooking over wood instead of lump? I figure I can burn some large wood chunks or small splits in the firebox, and use my Ceramic Grill Store Adjustable Rig to have some control over grill height. The worst that can happen is I burn the wooden part of the handle. Anyone have any warnings, tips or other thoughts?

You could melt the felt. There was someone in the Kamado forum experimenting with this.

Comment

• Cheef
      Cheef commented
      Editing a comment
      Interesting. I added a comment to this post that didn't show up. trying again.

• Chuck in Charlotte
      Chuck in Charlotte commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Old Glory, I hadn't considered the felt. I think, though that if I leave it open the heat should be transient enough that the gasket might survive. I might want a new one standing by, though.

I use charcoal to start the fire with extra dry wood chunks or small limbs in mine to maintain the cook. They have all been VERY seasoned. I can get away with a bit of dirty smoke in my bigger smokers, but I only want clean smoke in my Vision grill. They key to my method is taking the bark off of the wood and making sure it is really dry. I do not have a moisture calibration device for my wood. I just know it is the older wood that hasn't been rained on. It works well but do know that you will get a bit more residue on the unit. I use a shop vac to clean it out, scraping away residue with only the plastic cap on the vac. I also get a bit more ash than people report who use only quality lump.

I could not use larger splits in my unit due to the deflector plate. Even some of the smaller wood limbs make it raise so that I can't adequately close the unit. I like my results but I primarily use my Vision grill for overnight cooks when I want to set it an forget it and in the Winter for roast meat. I am sure others will give you better advice. I am very happy with my methods, though.

Comment

• Chuck in Charlotte
      Chuck in Charlotte commented
      Editing a comment
      Great to hear your experience tbob4, I'd only planned on grilling, not smoking or baking. I can remove the deflector plate completely in the BGE, and I shouldn't need to close it anyway if I'm not smoking or roasting. I do have a load of kiln-dried firewood. The residue and cleaning is something to consider.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here