Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My 2005 Kamado #9 -- Black Ceramic Tile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My 2005 Kamado #9 -- Black Ceramic Tile

When I mentioned my Kamado in my introduction post last week, I had at least one request for pics, so here we go with the Kamado itself and Saturday's cook of pork loin.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1637.jpg
Views:	479
Size:	224.6 KB
ID:	744705

I found the original invoice this morning. It appears that I bought this beauty in July of 2005, so it's been my trusty companion for a long time. I popped for the accompanying drum table with storage inside. I originally used it to store the propane tank and burner that slides into the lower vent. A few years in, I had an unfortunate incident with the propane hose breaking while I was running the flame to start the charcoal, and I had a very large blowtorch on my hands. I quickly turned off the valve on the propane tank, but that was terrifying enough that I've gone to alternate starting options. I used the electric "cattle prod" starter for a while, but now I'm just lazy and use the grocery store starter pieces. Lately, I've really liked the straw-based ones. No after-taste at all.

Here's the cooker with the top open and from farther out so you can see the lower vent open for starting:

Name:	IMG_1633.jpg
Views:	315
Size:	227.9 KB
ID:	744706

I'll discuss it more when I document a low and slow cook, but you can see my Baking Steel heat radiator I use for indirect cooking propped up on the right side of the cooker. Needless to say, a cooker this large has a huge cooking surface:

Name:	IMG_1631(Edited).jpg
Views:	284
Size:	224.9 KB
ID:	744707

I should also point out here that I'm an instant fan of the Grilltastic steam grill cleaner, this pic is after less than a half hour of cleaning 14 years of grime.

The firebox sits really low in the cooker, just above the lower vent. Here it is with the small load of Cowboy lump charcoal I used, with a few hickory chunks scattered and the straw-wax starter lit:

Name:	IMG_1632 (2).jpg
Views:	266
Size:	128.9 KB
ID:	744708

I'm almost embarrassed to show these "pork loins". I had put off buying the pork until late Friday with 35 or so people coming over Saturday. I panicked when the store I used for my last cook was out of loins and then went with these poor little things. Somehow, this store cuts their pork loins in half. My anguish was compounded by finding that my local Publix inexplicably had full sized pork loins--on sale!--when I got there for my final stop on the same trip. Anyway, here they are on the grill. I dry brined for 6 or 7 hours with a heavy coat of Bad Byron's Butt Rub.

Name:	IMG_1635.jpg
Views:	277
Size:	209.7 KB
ID:	744709

I don't wait to get to temperature before loading--I trust my controller to peg the temp and that works out for me most of the time. I just leave things open on the start for varying amounts of time depending on the intended cook temperature. You can see here how far I let the fire spread in the box before closing up when shooting for 350.

The cook took just under an hour since these poor loins were cut in half. That had them ready early, but I was ready for holding them. I put a first layer of plastic wrap and then a couple layers of heavy duty aluminum foil before tossing them in the insulated cooler I call my treasure chest. I think I held these babies about an hour and a half before cutting. Here they are coming off, with a cameo by me. Who wears a banana shirt anyway?.

Name:	IMG_1643.JPG
Views:	286
Size:	111.3 KB
ID:	744710

Sorry I don't have pics after slicing. Things got a bit crazy once folks started arriving. We served with my wife's sweet smoky KC sauce from her family recipe and a sweet peach chili sauce. There were no complaints.

Great post and beautiful cooker (the Kamado, that is )

Comment

Wow! She is a beauty!

Comment

That’s a nice setup all around!

Comment

Lookin' very good.

Who wears a banana shirt? The Top Banana, of course.

Comment

• Craigar
            Craigar commented
            Editing a comment
            Or he's just monkeying around.

• Jim White
            Jim White commented
            Editing a comment
            My wife, daughters, grandson, cats, dogs and horses would all take issue with me being top banana.

Nice Rig!

Comment

Awesome looking Kamado. That is a treasure.

Comment

Enjoyed the ride. Nice set-up.
              No comment on the banana shirt though 🍌😊

Comment

Good lookin rig 👍👍👍

Comment

Nice!

Comment

The Kamado or the banana shirt... I'm not sure which is more appealing?

Comment

• Backroadmeats
                      Backroadmeats commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I would take the kamado for grilling.. but a guy has to look good doing it.. the banana shirt is saaaweet

That thing is sweeet. And so is the Kamado. 🔥
                    Seriously I really like that Kamado... Thanks for sharing.
                    Last edited by hogdog6; September 19, 2019, 09:43 PM.

Comment

Beautimous cooker, Amigo!

Thanks fer th guided tour!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here