Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tips on seasoning and cleaning a paella pan?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tips on seasoning and cleaning a paella pan?

I bought a carbon-steel paella pan to try Meathead's paella recipe on my Akorn.

Does anyone have tips on how to season and take care of this thing? I assume I can treat it similarly to cast iron?

Thanks in advance for your tips & tricks.

I treat mine like cast iron. Keep oil on it to keep the rust down. And make sure to towel dry it. You can season it in a hot oven with your choice of oil or fat. (Unless it has silicone handles, which some of them do)

Comment

You have it. Treat it exactly like cast iron. I have had mine for 25+ years. Got the bug after having it in Spain while in the Navy, but took a while to find a pan here after getting out.

Comment

Thanks guys. I thought so. Google searches of this topic turned up some crazy ideas. AR cuts through the BS as usual!

As for buying one: I remember when stuff like this was available only at Zabar’s if at all. Now it’s just a click a way on Amazon. I even got mine with prime shipping!

Comment

I would treat it like my wok. Season the dickens out of it. Then clean it as you would CI, even a slight bit of soap in a sponge won’t hurt, then do not towel dry but put it on heat, heat dry it! I would only oil it if you are not using it or using it sparingly. If used often, don’t worry about it. My wok is carbon steel by the way. I never worry about or get rust.

Comment

• surfdog
            surfdog commented
            Editing a comment
            Same

• Anton32828
            Anton32828 commented
            Editing a comment
            I don't see using it too often, but you never know. I plan to season it tomorrow. I'll post updates.

If’n ya don’t mind, show us this paella pan.

Comment

Here it is FireMan . It's a basic paella pan from Amazon. I think I paid around $20 for it. The red handles are some kind of paint. I hope it's glass enamel, or the red stuff is not going to last very long over a fire!
            Attached Files

Comment

• FireMan
              FireMan commented
              Editing a comment
              Take that baby & cook, cook, cook!

Amazon is great. Last month I bought the same brand "damaged" 24" Paella pan for about $35.00; it only had some scuffs on it. Have not broken it in yet but plan to make authentic Paella Valencia: rabbit, chicken, snails, and all.

Comment

Update: Per various online instruction articles, I cleaned and seasoned the pan as follows. I did all this indoors for convenience. (1) Fill the pan with water up to the rivets. Add a splash of vinegar. Simmer for 10 minutes to help remove the wax coating from the manufacturer. This left a bit of rust / discoloration at the water line. (2) Scrub with soap & water. I used a stainless steel-wool pad to remove the rust. (3) Dry thoroughly using towel & paper towel. (4) Apply a light film of soybean oil everywhere (5) Bake upside down for 45 minutes in an oven preheated to 375 F. Here is the result.
              Attached Files

Comment

I’ll post my Paella cook separately. The pan had a lot of stuck-on food & grease. I had to use soap & a scrubber to clean it, so it needed another seasoning run in the oven. Here is the patina afterwards. 😂
                Attached Files

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here