Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Big Green Egg

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Welcome from Colorado ... You’ll find this place to be far more about cooking than typing (correct spelling is entirely optional).

Comment

Welcome from Mass. I have a Primo and love it. I am probably not a great person to ask because before that I had a $150 POS smoker from the hardware store that leaked air like a sieve and steel gauge was more akin to tinfoil. So it was a huge upgrade and I do not have experience with anything else other than a weber gasser, that I use during the week when there isn't time to get the Kamado fired up. I do Brisket, ribs and pulled pork, but also bread and pizza. You will love the BGE!!!

Comment

• Thunder77
        Thunder77 commented
        Editing a comment
        Love my Primo Junior!!

Welcome! I’m from Missouri, Go Mizzou! Moved to Florida in 88. I was born and raised in Columbia.

Comment

I agree with everything said here and welcome from The Midlands of South Carolina. I've had my BGE for 10 yrs. and LOVE it. I strongly suggest what the others have said and go to the Kamado Forum for tips. As far as accessories, I really like my Maverick XR50 (from Adrenaline Barbeque) and the DigiQDX2 (if you like set it and almost forget it), but there are other pit thermometers (see the Equipment Review Section on this site) that others swear by for good reason. I would also suggest the Ceramic Grill Store as they have lots of accessories for the BGE that will make you drool. Post pics and ask questions. The folks here are exceptionally tolerant of (my dumb) questions have literally transformed me from an OK grill guy to the guy in the neighborhood that everyone asks me, "When are you cooking again cause you make the best Que I've ever tasted" and there are always people who just happen to show up when they smell smoke coming from my yard! Live long and smoke/grill lots!
        The OmegaDog
        Last edited by OmegaDog12; July 10, 2019, 08:25 AM.

Comment

Welcome aboard from Baltimore, MD! I personally do not like the BGE. I think they are over-hyped, overpriced, and over everything. Even their accessories are way overpriced. I much prefer the Primo. (And yes, I have cooked on the Egg.) They are good cookers; I don't like the almost cult-like atmosphere that surrounds them. It's kind of eerie. I do have some friends who are Eggheads, and we will stay friends.

This is all just my personal opinion, and no slight is meant toward any Eggheads out there.

Comment

Welcome to the pit from the California Delta. I have a Pit Boss 22 Kamado but rarely use it probably my loss. Lack of familiarity breeds fear.
            Like already stated use the Kamado sub section to learn. (Do as I say not as I do)

Comment

• Mosca
              Mosca commented
              Editing a comment
              Fire that son of a gun up and cook.

My first cook was 1” thick ribeyes. Get the grill up to about 550-600. Salt and pepper the steaks. Put them on the grate and shut the lid, vents wide open. 2 minutes. Flip the steaks. 2 more minutes. Then shut all the vents and let the steaks dwell for 2 minutes.

"BURP" THE KAMADO. Raise the lid a little and count to 5. Then, remove the perfectly medium rare steaks and dine!

Greetings from South Africa

Comment

Originally posted by Thunder77 View Post
              Welcome aboard from Baltimore, MD! I personally do not like the BGE. I think they are over-hyped, overpriced, and over everything. Even their accessories are way overpriced. I much prefer the Primo. (And yes, I have cooked on the Egg.) They are good cookers; I don't like the almost cult-like atmosphere that surrounds them. It's kind of eerie. I do have some friends who are Eggheads, and we will stay friends.

This is all just my personal opinion, and no slight is meant toward any Eggheads out there.
              I think you will agree that here we generally refer to kamados rather than any one brand. Everything from an Akorn to a Komodo Kamado cooks pretty much the same.

BGE had a huge lead on the competition, having started in ‘74. Most of the BGE hype is really kamado hype but there was only one brand; Primo started 22 years later, in ‘96. Kamado Joe, ‘09. With the company operating without competitors, in the days before the internet, the value was set by the market. That’s pretty purely economics. Even today, the company thrives on its reputation. Gotta give them credit, even if you don’t want to spend the money. I just had the dome replaced on my 8 year old Egg, with a photo and an email. No questions, just a new dome.

So now BGE loses on value, but perhaps pretty much cooks the same, I’d say. Nothing wrong with that. And I STILL want a Komodo Kamado, even though it won’t do anything more than my BGE or your Primo will do!

Comment

• Thunder77
                Thunder77 commented
                Editing a comment
                I agree. The BGE is a quality cooker. As I said earlier, it is my personal opinion, and nothing else. One company may be more clever with an accessory, but they do pretty much the same thing.

I've had a large BGE for about 8 years now. I pretty much use it for low and slow pork-butts, brisket, ribs. It is useful for the reverse sear as well by starting low and slow with the plate setter in place. When the meat is ready for the sear you remove the plate setter, open the vents wide, and let it go. (No going back to low and slow after this).

An accessory I highly recommend is a BBQ Guru electronic control. You can make this thing hold at a temperature all night long without doing nothing more than a quick check on the temp. Add a remote read thermometer at bedside and it makes it really easy. A full load of charcoal can go up to 24 hours. I often do butts and briskets for 12 hours without even lifting the lid.

Did I say I love this thing???

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here