Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kick Ash Basket Tips

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kick Ash Basket Tips

I just purchased a Chimney Cap and Kick Ash Basket (KAB) for my large BGE. I currently have the old cast iron grate under the KAB and am preparing for an all-night cook.

Right now I am reluctant to remove the grate since I am afraid I'll be guessing on all vent settings with only one cook under my belt with new Chimney Cap.

Questions:

For a long cook do you light the charcoal from the front as suggested by teh KAB manufasturer. I have ALWAYS done a sort of Minion light and place 1-2 lighter cubes in the middle of my charoal, lit them and once burning added my wood to the center to allow the fire to burn inside-out and top down.

Any tips for set-up for long cook (two 8# pork butts going on at 10pm).

Thanks!!!

Tim, You should remove the cast iron grate. Use that sucka as a hot plate on your table! That is what I do with all of mine.

You have no need for it now that you have the basket. You want as much air flow as possible, that is why you got the basket in the first place.

I like to light my small, hot fire with a TS8000 torch, on the left side on my firebowl. Then the fire will burn all the way across the firebowl as time goes on. If you light in the middle you risk having a flame out. The fire will go right or left, up or down and it can burn out as it will have no where to go once it hits the side wall. This doesn't happen all the time but it is a concern. So this is why I choose the right or left side for my fire.

Comment

• Corvus
      Corvus commented
      Editing a comment
      I too removed the cast iron grate but never thought to repurpose it....great idea.....I love this site

• bbq_joe
      bbq_joe commented
      Editing a comment
      That is a great idea! Or, one could use it as a trivet inside a Dutch oven if need be.

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      Yep! I use them inside and out, my friends! Corvus bbq_joe

Thanks Spin, Since it's an all-nighter I was hesitant to change more than one thing. I used to build my fire fresh from the bottom up (Naked Whiz style) but have found the Egg does a nice job no matter what you do.

Assuming it's not any major adjustments to vents, I'll pull the grate out and go for it tonight. Right now, it looks like my ET733 makes it close to my bderoom so I should at least have an alarm if needed. Really, I just need to know if the fire goes out.

Comment

Ok, I pulled out everything and rebuilt it from bottom up, using big pieces and fitting them together....Grill table now has three "hot pads." I'd post a pic but can't seem to upload at the moment.

One more question...where do you like to place the wood? I usually light the lump and once its going add the wood chunks to it to let them get lit and then stabilize close to 225 and wait for white smoke to dissipate.

Thanks for all the advice. I've been doing this so long I had stopped asking questions and realize there is always more to learn to improve.

Comment

• Oak Smoke
        Oak Smoke commented
        Editing a comment
        I normally place the wood on top of the lump pile. A couple near where I light and one or two nearer the edge for smoke a little later in the cook. Look up the discussion on the smoke pot. I have one and use it often.

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        I like to place the wood directly on the lit fire. This will give you clean smoke to start with, which is really what you want. Don't worry bout stuff would through out the fireball, most smoke absorption happens in the fire few hours of cooking. (Cold, wet meat attracts more smoke.)

I just picked one of these up for my Vision. It is suppose to arrive today, but.....based on the tracking it looks like it’s going to be a day late.

Comment

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        You will be happy with it. They make your kamado run much smoother.

• bbq_joe
        bbq_joe commented
        Editing a comment
        I’m looking forward to it. I checked the tracking and it’s to be delivered today. So I’ll have time to get all the old coal out and into the basket and get the ribs on tomorrow. Like a kid at Christmas, playing with all the new toys.

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here