Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone use an Akorn Jr.?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone use an Akorn Jr.?

What are your thoughts on this cooker?

I haven’t used one, but my guess is that it will work similar to a Kamado but not as efficient. I think the biggest issue is that it will have a short life due to rust out.

Comment

• Attjack
      Attjack commented
      Editing a comment
      That might be an issue for me if I got one for use at the cabin. I have very high humidity there although everything is covered. I'm seeing one for $50 on Craiglist. Brand new.

I have a friend who uses one and raves about its effectiveness. He owns Eggs and will still use this little guy. I would try it if I could find one for that price.

Jamie

Comment

I have no experience with the Akorn Jr. but I did own a Big Steel Keg and they are similar. I loved the rugged ness of the steel kamado and the portability. However, it was too effecient at holding in heat. I had problems keeping it below 300F, and when I would adjust the temps the fire would smolder and eventually go out. I must've tried every lump charcoal I could find, but ended up selling it.

With regards to the Akorn Jr. Baby Back Maniac did a video recently which featured that grill and it performed quite well. Check out his YouTube channel.

Comment

• Attjack
        Attjack commented
        Editing a comment
        I'll check that video out. But I'm currently leaning against it.

I got a full size acorn and luv it

Comment

• Thunder77
        Thunder77 commented
        Editing a comment
        Me too!

I bought an Akorn Jr. a year ago when a few places had them on sale. Paid less than $100 for mine.

I only bought it out of curiosity as I wanted to see how it was constructed and how it compared to my Kamado Joe Jr.

Assembly quality was ok but you can tell that it isn't a Rolex.

Given its construction it could easily rust so if you want to plan on using it for a long time be sure to keep it our of the elements and inspect it for any rust spots that develop and take care of those quickly.

Performance wise it works just fine. I'd say it is actually more fuel efficient than my KJ Jr. as the shell of the Akorn is insulated rather than just relying on thermal mass to help keep steady temps.

One big advantage it has over my KJ Jr. is weight - it weighs about half the KJ Jr. Anyone looking for a small grill that can be used for tailgating/camping that can do both grilling and low and slow bbq-ing should consider the Akorn Jr. as it is a lot easier to lug around. Also, if it gets bounced around in your vehicle it's far less likely to break anything.

Comment

I realize this is not entirely related to the Akorn Jr, but when I was researching the ceramic kamados and my Weber SCGC, someone gave the analogy that ceramic coffee mugs vs. yeti-type cups, which holds heat better? That always struck me as an "a-ha" moment.

Comment

Have both the Akorn Jr. and the Joe Jr. Bought the Joe Jr. first for use on the boat. It was a tad bit heavy to haul down the 10" walk-ways and keep your balance. Then I bought the Akorn Jr. Much lighter and it's performance is the same as the Joe Jr. A solid little cooker. I do keep it inside and out of the weather. For the price....I would grab it.

Comment

I have an Akorn Junior. It is a mini-kamado as you would expect. If you see one for $50 new, jump on it! You can't go wrong. I use mine for breads, and for getting a awesome sear on a steak. Also good for pizza. I even did a small pork butt on it. Baked potatoes, too.

Comment

im on my second Akorn. ex has the first. i love it. i put felt gaskets on it and silicone around the lower air vent. rust not an issue here in AZ. it works as well as my ceramic one i had but much lighter of course.

Comment

I have a bunch of cookers and nothing gets more use than my little Akorn. It's a terrific cooker, I load it with charcoal wood and a firestarter. Close it up and throw it in the trunk. The second I get where I'm going I light the firestarter 25 minutes later I throw on the pork butt. Away she goes, for 14 hours, steady, at a time!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here