Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Small kamados and Huli-huli chicken in sub-zero temps...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Small kamados and Huli-huli chicken in sub-zero temps...

It is common during January, here in Alaska, to crave tropical treats in the depths of a sub arctic winter. You've done the holiday comfort food, and are ready for lighter and more "summer" stuff. Ergo, we decided to cook huli-huli chicken with some rice and sides. It is just above zero here, and was -25 just yesterday. So, perfect timing for some Hawaiian treats, right? So, I have started some huli-huli chicken. We marinated 2 chicken halves in: 1 cup soy sauce, 1 tbsp chopped garlic, 1tbsp. fine chopped ginger, 3 cups water,and 1 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce.Marinate at least 3-4 hours.Prepare your kamado for 250-300 degree cooking. While your chicken is marinating, combine 1 cup pineapple juice, 2 tbsp each of ketchup, soy sauce, rice vinegar, and brown sugar. Add a bit of garlic and chopped ginger and simmer till slightly thickened. Sesame oil can also be added. About 2 tsp should do. Also, add a bit of heat like a pinch of cayenne, 1tsp sriracha, etc.. Saute and reduce until slightly thickened, and use to baste chicken as it cooks, turning every 10 minutes.

Now, here's where it gets challenging(with a small kamado that is). To get proper carmelization of the skin, moderate heat is a must, unfortunately, in a small kamado, the meat is too close to the fire, regardless of most temps. This issue is the main flaw with very small kamados. In other words, you can burn the skin before the meat is cooked through.

Solution? Raise the grill grate height by at least 1-1/2 inches. Then, keep your heat level to about 250 degrees indicated. You'll crisp the skin at about the same time the chicken cooks through, as the meat is further to the flame. A diffuser works well, but the needed carmelization happens after the meat is cooked properly, leading to dry chicken.

The moral here is that small kamados need an adjustment of cooking technique to achieve the same results as larger kamados.

These issues never happened when I was cooking on a larger kamado, as the distance between food and flame was greater, and could be adjusted to suit the cook at hand. Smaller kamados have much less room for error.

So, a small kamado is fine, but larger ones are easier to do most cooks. Had I done this cook on my old Akorn, this would have been "fire and forget." Here, its fire and babysit.

-25?! My Houston is not your Houston.

That marinade does sound tasty, though.

--Michael

Comment

• Strat50
      Strat50 commented
      Editing a comment
      When you combine the wet brine with the mop sauce, it is really good.

That does sound tasty.

Comment

Thank you Strat50 for sharing. We will be trying this recipe in the near future.

Comment

Sounds like a solid recipe but where are the pics ????

Comment

• Strat50
          Strat50 commented
          Editing a comment
          At -25, when you open the kamado, there is a cloud of steam that develops. You can't see well enough to gather a decent image. This steam continues even after the kamado is vented by opening. Yes, I could do some indoor pics, but my kitchen was messy, and we were HUNGRY.

• Troutman
          Troutman commented
          Editing a comment
          I hear ya brother, the old "hungry shots" !!! Had a few of those myself !!

Like your use of marinade. I will sometime combine a couple of soy sauces, Filipino, a dark variation & or Tamari & put in 1 or 2 tbs of wine. I also cook mine on a 22 w/SnS. I have an Akorn in a box, so your info will be helpful if I decide to use it. Still undecided about keepin it. Thanks much.

Comment

• Strat50
          Strat50 commented
          Editing a comment
          I would keep it, and use it in conjunction with your SnS. As a kamado is really"just" an oven, you can cook other things not as possible with the SnS. Like bread, pizza, roasted veg, corn, potatoes, etc.. You can light and heat the Akorn quickly, which would make it real easy to time your meal, as a whole. A win-win.

Very true! Cooking with a small kamados takes a bit of patience. My Kamado Joe Jr. certainly took a little bit of time to get used too. I love using it for grilling, but that grate is very close the fire, so you need to be carful. With Huli chicken, there is so much sugar that burns can occur.

Part of what I love about my Junior is the challenge. It is now as easy as the big kamados, but it is a blast too cook on. I really love using it for smoking.

Comment

On the list. The list is getting pretty long, so I better start cooking.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here