Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gasket change time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gasket change time

The time has finally come. I am going to change the gasket on my KJ classic. This weekend’s self clean finished it off. I did put a really gunked up BSR skillet in it to see if that would clean it. It worked great, just grey pounder where all the crud had been. Any tips, does or don’ts on the gasket change would be very appreciated. The new gasket is Nomex.

Scrape the old gasket off with a putty knife. You can use solvent, but go easy with it. It doesn’t have to be perfect, just pretty good.

Use that 3M spray glue. Tape and newspaper off everything, spray, and apply. No need to stretch. Cut the gasket on the bias, so the end is pointed, then when the other end comes around cut to match.

It it is actually ridiculously easy. 15 minutes tops.

Comment

• painter
      painter commented
      Editing a comment
      Mosca--I like the cut on the bias part. Obvious but--not to me! Good advise.

• Skip
      Skip commented
      Editing a comment
      I agree with Mosca. My replacement gasket was self stick so did't need the adhesive.

Originally posted by Oak Smoke View Post
    The time has finally come. I am going to change the gasket on my KJ classic. This weekend’s self clean finished it off. I did put a really gunked up BSR skillet in it to see if that would clean it. It worked great, just grey pounder where all the crud had been. Any tips, does or don’ts on the gasket change would be very appreciated. The new gasket is Nomex.
    I think if you tried, you could get that font even smaller!

Comment

• Oak Smoke
      Oak Smoke commented
      Editing a comment
      Sorry man I just got new reading glasses everything looks bigger than it really is.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here