Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Smoking Pot Theory

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smoking Pot Theory

I think I figured out my problem the Akorn cooker has A Very large charcoal burn basket I don’t think I’ve been putting I been putting the charcoal deep enough and my fire is out running my pot I’going to be away this weekend to give it another Go that’s the next step try to keep fire under the pot
    Attached Files

The BGE has a large burn basket as well. Make sure the pot is nestled into the fire and it should work just fine. It does in my LBGE, Broil King Keg and my Kamado Joe Jr.

Comment

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      Yep, as soon as I get back to my computer, I will set it up. Fire Art

• Fire Art
      Fire Art commented
      Editing a comment
      When you have time change my photo please

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      Fire Art

Sorry for the delay, I changed it over for you. Great picture!

As Spinaker notes always nestle that smoke pot into that small center fire which should burn deep if you have filled up the firebox. I always fill my BGE up to the fire ring which the grill sets upon. It is a good practice to always fill your cooker to the same level when you begin a cook, so that you will have more consistent results with all of the cooks.

Comment

Anyone try this in a gasser?

Comment

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        No, but I do add wood chunk s to the flavoriszer bars. This burns right over the gas fire and produces some great some flavor. Nice life hack for the gasser world.

• Barry Friesen
        Barry Friesen commented
        Editing a comment
        Spinaker, do the chunks just burn outright...like full flames? Do you have to adjust your cooking time due to the burning wood?

If I wanted a smoke pot where can I get it for cheap?

Comment

• BriggsBBQ
        BriggsBBQ commented
        Editing a comment
        I've heard California has a lot of dispensaries.....

• Oak Smoke
        Oak Smoke commented
        Editing a comment
        I ordered my 1 quart Lodge from Amazon, It showed up in a Walmart box. It was 19 dollars and some change. So far the lid fits great. I love this thing. The smoke pot and the KAB have really made a huge difference for me.

• vandy
        vandy commented
        Editing a comment
        I got a 1 qt and a 2 qt from Dicks Sporting goods online for about 30 bucks for both.

Any where you can buy cast iron got mine at the local Drug store like 23 bucks

Comment

Thanks, guys.

Comment

I thought something completely different when I read this post's title. Got my verbs and adjectives mixed up. Was picturing something similar to the intellectual ponderings of the "That 70's Show" gang in their basement circle...

Comment

• EdF
            EdF commented
            Editing a comment
            I had similar thoughts, like "a theory of everything"!

• Attjack
            Attjack commented
            Editing a comment
            That 70's Show was an Instant classic.

• Mr. Bones
            Mr. Bones commented
            Editing a comment
            It all crossed my mind, when I saw th title, as well...
            Probly my bad...

Totally naive to the ways of the ceramic, but qhat's wrong with placing chunks of wood in the lump? Don't everyone throw tomatoes at me at once!

Comment

• LA Pork Butt
            LA Pork Butt commented
            Editing a comment
            I have done it both ways, and the smoke pot seems to produce less harsh smoke. Placing a fist size chunk on the fire works pretty well, too.

• EdF
            EdF commented
            Editing a comment
            The "theory" behind the smoke pot is that the smoke gets pulled through the holes in the bottom and gets cleaned by the fire below before it wafts up into the food. Same principle as the KBQ.

• Spinaker
            Spinaker commented
            Editing a comment
            Nothing wrong with doing that. I do it when I am being too lazy for the smoke pot. Or for a hot and fast cook.

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here