Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BBQ Pork Ribs in a Kamado

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BBQ Pork Ribs in a Kamado

Hi all -- am new to the forum and getting my bearings, so please excuse me if this is a redundant/misplaced question.

I've just purchased a Kamado Joe to replace an old rusting charcoal grill, and have been trying to digest whatever information I can in anticipation of smoking a few racks of baby back ribs this weekend.

Having read Meathead's comprehensive guide https://amazingribs.com/tested-recip...ve-ever-tasted, I had a couple of questions:

1. Should you still use a water tray in a Kamado? Is there a better material of tray to use, such as ceramic vs. a thin aluminum tray? Would you put this over the ceramic deflection plate?

2. Is there anything wrong with dry brining overnight, followed by applying the rub overnight?

3. Is adding more wood chips 20-30mins into the cook necessary? Am conscious that even with some heatproof gloves, it will be a juggling act.

4. For the final cook/saucing stage, would it be good to fire up another chimney of coals to add onto the fire after I remove the deflection plate?

Thank you very much in advance!

Welcome! Happy to have you here and we sure hope you stick around! Since this post is mostly about making ribs on your new kamado and tips specific to a kamado, I am moving this into the kamado channel.

That said, I don't have a kamado myself, but I can help answer 2 & 3.

2. Nope, will only help improve things. You don't need to add the unsalted rub that far in advance though, only the salt.
    3. Impossible to answer, this depends on how you & yours like the smokiness. My suggestion is to follow the recipe as written, then adjust on successive cooks until you find what you like best. I like a lot of smoke so I have chunks going the whole cook, but again, this is not on a kamado.

Comment

Welcome to the Pit! Thanks for joining up!
      You do not need to use a water pan, nor should you. They are not needed as there is very little airflow in the kamado. And it will only create a steam bath in your kamado. I like to use a small pie pan to catch the drippings and keep things clean in the kamado. Plus, they are disposable and you can throw them out after a cook.

Dry brine away, sometimes I go multiple days. Overnight is no big deal.

Don't worry about adding wood chips to the fire. Throw some chunks on at the start at that is all you really need. You get the most smoke retention in the first two hours of the cook anyway. (You should check out this article not the Smoke Pot. It gives you the best smoke in a kamado.)

You will not need to add any charcoal at the end of the cook, simply open your dampers and let it rip. The meat can wait a few minutes for the kamado to get rip roaring hot. (Removing your chimney cap completely will make this go much faster.) Additionally, Make sure to check out this sub-forum. It has all you need to get that kamado dialed in. Of course, we are here to answer any questions you might have as well.

After all of that and when you have a second, give this thread a once over. There is some important information for you. This information will ensure you get the most out of your experience here in The Pit.

Also, it's very important that you:
      • Check your email, go to User settings then the account tab.You currently cannot change your email on file with us since it’s tied to your Pitmaster Club account as well as our payment processor, Stripe. Don’t worry though, we’d be happy to change it for you. Please visit this link: https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/pi...il-request.php
      • Add the domain AmazingRibs.com to your email safe list. We NEVER spam! This is important to receive special deals we occasionally work out for our members, notices about your account, such as if you’re up for renewal or are ever drawn as our monthly Gold Medal Giveaway winner, which is open to all USA members or those with a USA delivery address (we’d hate to have to pick another person because you don’t answer us)!

Thank you for your support. We are excited to have you and we look forward to your contributions.

-Spinaker

Comment

Thank you both very much!

Will give everything a once over and report back with results..

Comment

• Fire Art
          Fire Art commented
          Editing a comment
          Photos R Must

• FireMan
          FireMan commented
          Editing a comment
          Under penalty of law they are!

Kamado and Wibs sounds delicious and nutritious

Comment

You don't need to remove the deflector plate at the end, just sauce the ribs and let them cook for 15 minutes at whatever temperature you were cooking at, usually 225-275.

Comment

I cook on a BGE. I would recommend skipping the wood chips and adding a fist size chunk of wood right on top of you center fire after you stabilize your Kamado temperature. Then add your diffuser, drip pan, grill and meat. If you like the smoke results, do it again. If not, wait longer the next time before putting your meat on.

Comment

I am going to try and not burn up 250 racks of baby backs and 15 pork shoulders at an event tomorrow for 500 people at a University here in Buenos Aires. Of course I am using Meatheads Memphis rub and have them dry brining and rubbed overnight mainly to save time tomorrow. Have some semi famous chefs and also the head chef for the US embassy here in BA. We are starting at 6 am (6 hours to cook the pork shoulder) but figure we have time in the middle so will show em how to do brisket, chicken, pork belly burnt ends as well. Will post pics tomorrow night in a new thread.

Comment

• FireMan
                FireMan commented
                Editing a comment
                Ya better listen to him @andrew2095 cuz he has a really big knife!

• BourBonQ
                BourBonQ commented
                Editing a comment
                Mmmm, mmmmmalbec... ( EdF )

• Livermoron
                Livermoron commented
                Editing a comment
                Looking forward to the pics!

Welcome to The Pit!

Comment

Hi Andrew, and welcome to the PIT. I just don't worry about accidently brining a bit longer. I brined steaks that we decided to eat for lunch today for ~ hour, and tho very good they weren't as tender as a couple we ate after an overnight brine a few days ago.

I brined a full packer pork loin a two days ago, and it's still in there, in Butcher paper. I'll load that up, cut in half, at dawn tomorrow.

Click image for larger version

Name:	PL Packer.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	172.4 KB
ID:	580516

Comment

Welcome to The Pit.

Comment

Welcome, eat good & have fun smokin & such!

Comment

Good advice already. Skip the water pan, not needed in a ceramic grill. Drip pan (empty, to catch drippings is ok). Also, use wood chunks instead of chips. That way you don’t have to refill at all. Simpler, easier!

Comment

Thank you all again for your advice! Didn’t expect replies this quickly and posted way ahead to do my homework Photos to follow after next weekend!

Another couple things I wanted to check. I’m used to dry brining meat uncovered in the fridge to encourage internal water to evaporate and dissolve the salt on the surface.

Assuming I’ll be applying the rub overnight, should you fully cover the ribs with rub with saran wrap/cling film?

Finally, similar to the lack for any water tray, would I be correct in assuming there’s no need to open mid smoke to spritz any water mist onto the meat?

Last edited by andrew2905; October 18, 2018, 06:04 AM.

Comment

Well, we're here to help, and we're very passionate about 'Q!

I'll throw my 2 cents in.

Dry brine: The salt draws water out, which dissolves the salt, which then is being transported into the meat (just below the surface). That will happen with or without cover.

Rub: I usually put ribs on a plate/pan/similar and cover with saran wrap, mostly to prevent other stuff from falling down in/on them, and also to lock in some of the scent (so my milk all of sudden doesn't taste like ribs). But all you need to do is cover them, no need for a tight wrap or anything.

And since you're using a kamado, I wouldn't spritz. That is very much a personal preference, but kamados tend to have a more moist/humid environment, so no need.

Keep us posted!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                          No announcement yet.
                          Working...
                          X
                          false
                          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                          false
                          false
                          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                          Yes
                          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here