Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Briquettes over lump in Kamado?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Briquettes over lump in Kamado?

Started the holy gospel of Meathead’s book and noticed he recommends briquettes and discouraged lump charcoal - this is contrary to most everything I’ve read or watched on kamado grilling.

Anyone here using briquettes in a Kamado?
    If so, what’s the advantage over high quality lump?

Too much ash for the Kamado. The ash will fill in and block the vent holes. The Kamado is so controllable that there is no issues running the variables found with lump.
    I like the consistency of briquettes in a kettle or hibachi, as per Meatheads advice in those cookers briquettes are the only way I go.

Comment

Yup, only charcoal in a kamado. Briquettes produce too much ash, which clogs it up.

Comment

Whenever I am doing a low and slow long cook I use lump for the reasons mentioned above. For any other cook I use briquettes. Just as a baseline probably anything 2 hours or less you would be fine with briquettes. That's about the longest I've done with briquettes .

Comment

• scottranda
          scottranda commented
          Editing a comment
          Yep! Same here!

I use lump unless I am using the vortex then briquettes. fuzzydaddy uses briquettes in his egg with no problems

Comment

Everywhere, everyone says to use lump in a Kamado. If you click on Meatheads link for briquettes , he makes some money!

Comment

I've used briquettes, the ash isn't that bad. I still prefer lump, though. With the vents properly set, there isn't really any problem with uneven burning. The ceramic hold the heat really well and evens everything out.

In fact, I can control temps, using lump, to within a degree or two. A stable 225 in my Egg is top and bottom vent open just a tiny smidge. If I take my finger and juuuuuust tap the top vent and move it almost imperceptibly, the temp goes up a couple degrees and restabilizes. If variable burn with lump was a problem, I wouldn't be able to do that.

Comment

• EdF
              EdF commented
              Editing a comment
              That's my experience too!

I prefer lump way over briquettes in a kamado. Can you use them? Yes, do they work as well as a quality lump? No.

As others have said, the binders found in briquettes produce more ash. And because the airflow is so little in a kamado, it is easy for this extra ash to plug up the kamado and snuff the fire.

Comment

I have used briquettes in my BGE MiniMax since the fire box is really shallow. I would be afraid to do a 14 hour cook with them in my Large BGE for fear of the vent holes clogging not to mention the volume of ash would be a pain in the ash. Ido use briquettes in my Weber Jumbo Joe.

Comment

No. There is no advantage. In general briquettes are preferable over lump, but Kamado cookers are one of the exceptions. You should only use lump for those.

But I would like to thank those who use lump in kettles and other charcoal cookers! By creating additional demand for "organic" charcoal that isn’t "processed" with "chemicals".....you have made lump available virtually everywhere. Whenever I need more lump charcoal even the nearby grocery store has it. It is everywhere!

So I'm not going to try too hard (or at all) to tell people anything

Comment

As customtrim mentioned, I've been using briquettes in my XL BGE (for long cooks). Not because of any issues with the lump available in my area, but rather I wanted to reduce the various bags of charcoal on hand. I've been using Weber briquettes since I also use it for long cooks in my kettles. Prior to using Weber I had a bag of Kingsford Professional that also performed well for a 16 hour butt cook. I'm not cooking a lot on the BGE and it's possible I'll eventually have an ash issue, but so far so good. I think I did one cook with B&B hardwood briquettes with no issues.
                  Last edited by fuzzydaddy; July 23, 2018, 04:36 PM.

Comment

FWIW, I saw Kingsford lump charcoal in briquette form at Trader Joe's today--$9 a bag. Didn't buy any. Anyone out there try it yet?

Comment

I have been running briquettes in the Keg at the lake this summer for burgers etc.. It does not get any where near as hot as lump and leaves a ton of ash after the cook. For low and slow as well as high temp pizza cooks, I will definitely stick to lump. Burgers at the lake can be briquettes but that's about it.

Comment

Only lump for me. I used to use it in my kettles too, but switched to briquettes.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here