Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cooker Comparison

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cooker Comparison

Hey everyone,

So I have a weber and a big-poppa-smoker, but I'd like to get a charcoal cooker that's portable and can do double duty between grilling and smoking. From the reviews on this website, the ones that are really interesting to me and are well reviewed are the Broil King Keg 5000 and the PK360. I'm wondering if anyone has experience with both of these cookers and can maybe talk about the their nuances. I've never used a Kamado, so I'm not sure if there are any limiting factors that the Keg has (the review indicates that you can't really get offset cooking).

Thanks everyone!
    Chris

Have you considered a Weber Kettle? They do everything you need. Light weight and portable. And fairly priced.

Comment

When I think "charcoal and portable" a kettle immediately comes to mind.

HOWEVER...I drive a Tacoma pickup. And it has a hitch. So if my budget allowed for it I would be tempted to go for the Broil King with the hitch mount carrier. Because I wouldn’t have to worry about how to load up a hot cooker when it was time to go.

Tne PK has the advantage of being able to do two zones.

A kettle has the advantage of dual zones and is less costly than either.

Comment

I see a kettle in your avatar. So..... how about a Smoky Joe? They come in various sizes and work just as good as the big brother.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
          Mr. Bones commented
          Editing a comment
          +1 on Smokey Joes. I cook on mine a lot, ya can search Smokey Joe here, find quite a few, or I can hunt up some links, post, if yer interested...

That's not a bad idea, a nice el-cheapo portable.

Comment

Webber Smoky Mt Grills smokes for a crowd breaks down for easy transport
          I have a old 18 inch WSM in the bay of my RV

Comment

WSM also makes a 14 inch, which I have never used, but if it's anywhere near as good as the 18 and 22, it gives you a lot of versatility and I would think it would be even more easy to port than the 18.

Comment

• JeffJ
              JeffJ commented
              Editing a comment
              I have the 14 and it rocks. Over the past year I've used it for all sorts of non smoking purposes. For grilling, I go vents wide open and 40 lit coals over a few unlit. When it comes time to reverse sear I pull the ring and put the cold grate right on top of the charcoal ring. Works beautifully. It also travels well.

Suggest the Weber Jumbo Joe over the Smokey Joe, it’s a bit larger grate, still portable. I own both, find a Smokey Joe a little too small.
            Last edited by SierraBBQGuy; July 13, 2018, 07:44 PM.

Comment

• JeffJ
              JeffJ commented
              Editing a comment
              This! I cannot state how much better I like the Jumbo than the Smokey Joe. Also, from a price comparison standpoint it competes with the Smokey Gold, not the Silver and unlike the Gold, the bottom vents are at the bottom, not off to the side. MUCH better value IMHO.

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here