Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Smoking fish

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smoking fish

Morning All,

I read that if you smoke or cook fish in a Kamado the smell never goes away. Is this true?

I have not had that problem in my weber kettle,gasgrill or wsm.

Comment

I don't know if the ceramics absorb odors, but my first "real" smoker was a stainless electric and I asked the maker about this. I was told an occasional fish would not affect the smoker, but if I was going to smoke a lot of fish, I should have a dedicated fish smoker.

Comment

As long as it isn't this guy...
        Click image for larger version

Name:	2d1d0dfdb6e067205bfbb48d23c142cf.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	75.8 KB
ID:	516536

Comment

• ILikePigButts
          ILikePigButts commented
          Editing a comment
          Whatever that is I love it lol

• FireMan
          FireMan commented
          Editing a comment
          A smokin fish, cool.

I would like to know as well.

Comment

I've never had an issue on the BGE, and I've smoked a fair amount of fish. Of course, I also do an annual high-temp burnout. But I can't remember any residual odor/flavor.

Comment

I have cold smoked salmon on several occasions with no smell problem what so ever in the large BGE

Comment

I also have never had this issue. Plus you can always burn it out, no way that oil survives a 800 F burn out. Cyaaaaaaaa!

Comment

I've heard the same thing from any smoker. I do a lot of salmon and never noticed it either. Just clean up the drippings, or the foil if you use it to catch your drippings. Follow common sense and you'll be fine.

Comment

I'm with everyone else. I've had my ceramic for at least 6 years, done plenty of fish, and it doesn't smell one bit. Never has either.

Comment

Thanks Everyone. I was concerned about the ceramic absorbing the odour, kind of like why it's not good to use lighter fluid, etc. to start the fire. Fish smoking, here I come. Smoked sprats are a big favourite of mine.

Comment

I clean my drip tray after smoking fish and then give it high temp for 30 minutes, not fishy! Mine is ss, not a kamado though. Smoke em if ya got em!

Comment

Me thinks it is one of those ol’wives tales.
                      BTW, I’ve got a friend who swears by the cedar plank thing & salmon. I sort of tried to tell him about what is really going on, in mid-stream of conversation he said: "Mmmmmm, the smell & taste of that smoke, there’s nothing like it", and he smacked his lips. At that point I just shut up & said no more. I value his friendship more than whatever point I could make.

Comment

any way you cook fish is fine with me.....grilled, blackened, planked, smoked, poached, raw, fried, strawberry-jalapeño, baked, dried, griddled, highway, fire pit.....
                        Forest

Comment

• FireMan
                          FireMan commented
                          Editing a comment
                          So the question is, do you like seafood?

• smokenoob
                          smokenoob commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Why yes, do you have any?

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here