Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cracked fire ring. What happened?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cracked fire ring. What happened?

Went to empty the ash and found the fire ring cracked in two places. After-sales said no problem, they'll send a replacement asap. Kamado's only a few weeks old so was really surprised to see this. Can I do anything to reduce the risk of it happening again or is it just the luck of the draw? The bowl looks fine.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0480.JPG
Views:	1480
Size:	118.6 KB
ID:	510959

I say luck of the draw. Always nice with good customer service though.

Comment

If they send you the new style which they should you wont have anymore worries

Comment

It was probably defective. You can still cook on it until the new one arrives.

Comment

You can cook on it like that indefinitely. Replace at your convenience.

Comment

• scottranda
            scottranda commented
            Editing a comment
            Agree!

I have read that closing all the dampers down after a hot cook, can cause this to happen. Not sure though. When I go to shut down a cook, I just close all of the dampers down and let the fire snuff out.
          More than likely, you just got a defective ring.

Comment

• EdF
            EdF commented
            Editing a comment
            Likewise. I'm not sure there's any reliable rhyme or reason. Fortunately, it doesn't happen often. For me, once or twice in 15+ years.

I lost on in seven years, and it was replaced in warranty.

Comment

Mine isn't one of the "mainstream" brands, so I was particularly pleased at the positive customer service response. I'll take the advice from here and keep the replacement unused until I really need it. The last cook wasn't over hot though, I'd baked some bread at around 400F then up to 550F for pizza. However, I do just close up all the vents when finished to snuff out the fire. It'll be interesting to see whether the replacement has an expansion gap or if it's just a solid ring like the original. The bowl definitely has a gap.

Comment

My BGE has an expansion gap on the fire box but none on the fire ring. I don’t know if any manufacturer has a gap in the fire ring.

Comment

One last thought - you might be able to baling to hold the cracked fire ring together if it gets to be a pain with the two pieces separating when you don’t want them to.

Comment

• PhilM
                  PhilM commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thanks for the suggestion. It seems ok at the moment but obviously, that could change.

I've cooked on my large BGE probably 5 times a week since 2007, and have gone through probably 3 rings. I only get warranty replacements when it is really bad though. I like what Komodo Joe has done with their design to remedy this!

Name:	kj.PNG
Views:	910
Size:	282.4 KB
ID:	511566

Comment

• EdF
                  EdF commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Those guys have been staying ahead of the curve with innovation!

• LA Pork Butt
                  LA Pork Butt commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Are you talking about fire rings or fire boxes? Does the Kamado Joe have a fire ring that sits on top of what appears to be the fire box pictured?

• customtrim
                  customtrim commented
                  Editing a comment
                  LA Pork Butt not any more

Replacement arrived today within 48 hours of the problem being notified. Very impressed with warranty service and now a happy bunny again.

Name:	FR5.JPG
Views:	926
Size:	58.6 KB
ID:	511932

Comment

• EdF
                  EdF commented
                  Editing a comment
                  You may, however, want to store that new one for the future. Just saying!

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here