Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Accessories For Taming The Savage Kamado

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey Spinaker, my thermometer on my bubba keg is way off temp. Is there a way to recalibrate or do I need to replace the thermometer?

Comment

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      We got this figured out, eh ?

• Butchman
      Butchman commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes

Was wondering if anyone knew of a rotisserie option for the BGE? Saw the KJ version.

Comment

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      The KJ version fits the BGE as well.

This is a great thread, thanks for bumping. I am looking at getting a Woo for my BGE. I know a few Egg and KJ heads have the Woo. Which set up should I look at? I would like to get an extra rack to expand capacity. I don't really make pizza, so that is not really something I am after.

I also need to pick up the KAB for the Egg. The Fish Bones grate works pretty well, but, after having a KAB for my other kamados, I find the KAB works better.

Comment

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      Cool, thanks!

• jgg85234
      jgg85234 commented
      Editing a comment
      John - you do know that the KJ Divide and Conquer set up will fit the BGE as well. It's different than what's on the Jr.

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      I did not know that, I will have to check it out. Thanks for the heads up. Is that what you use on your rig? jgg85234

Spinaker i have the Woo and love it. I also have the Rig which is great for cooking multiple racks of ribs flat. If I had to choose I think I would get the Woo and the Extender. I have the extender for the Rig but not for the Woo. One of my favorite things to do with the Woo is to remove the plate setter, put the grill in top of the Woo and smoke roast boneless skinless chicken thighs. Have fun!

Comment

Originally posted by LA Pork Butt View Post
      Spinaker i have the Woo and love it. I also have the Rig which is great for cooking multiple racks of ribs flat. If I had to choose I think I would get the Woo and the Extender. I have the extender for the Rig but not for the Woo. One of my favorite things to do with the Woo is to remove the plate setter, put the grill in top of the Woo and smoke roast boneless skinless chicken thighs. Have fun!
      If I have the Egg plate Setter, do I need the Woo? I am looking at the extender now. I love the idea of high heat roasting. Still trying to figure this Woo and capacity thing out.

Comment

Spinaker You don’t need the Woo to cook low and slow if you have the platesetter. The Woo with the handles will do a couple of things for you. One it will make it easy to lift the platesetter out of the Egg either hot or cold. Secondly, and what I really like, is the ability to raise the food to the felt line to be directly cooked without fear of too much intense heat. That is how I like to smoke roast the chicken thighs. The extender increases your capacity or gives you two levels to cook brisket if you separate the point from the flat. That’s what I do cooking the flat on the grill and the point on the extender.

Comment

• Spinaker
          Spinaker commented
          Editing a comment
          Cool! Thanks! It can be tough to keep these things straight. I am going to pickup my KAB, now. Woo and Extender, on order.

I already posted this somewhere else, but I wanted to post this here to keep all the Kamado accessories in one spot. I was so excited when I first bought this, that I forgot about this wonderful thread! Whoops!

Big Green Egg has just come out with there new expansion system. (EGGspander) Originally, I was going to buy a similar system from the Ceramic Grill store; then I heard that BGE was coming out with their own line, so I waited. From the initial unboxing, it seems that the wait was worth it.The grates are heavy-duty and stainless. The main reason I was looking at this, was that the system allows you to remove the convEGGtor , all the grates+food in one fell swoop. This is a huge improvement if you would like to access the fire during the cook. No more looking for a good surface to set four different (HOT) items.

The system is also expandable to include half-moon ceramic pieces and grates for semi-indirect cooking. Additionally, you can flip the cradle over and have the grate lowered to charcoal level for some killer searing action! Also, you can elevate the smaller grate or pizza stone into the dome for blisteringly hot dome temps. The system also allows you to cook on two different levels while going low and slow, for extra capacity. There are a TON of possibilities with this set up. (as you can see below)
        Click image for larger version

Name:	image_67890.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	93.2 KB
ID:	579578
        Anyway, I am pretty pumped that BGE got on the innovation train and came out with this new system for the BGE line. Especially since KJ has had something similar (or identical) for a while now. I just threw a new gasket on the BGE so I will have to wait for tomorrow to use this baby, but I am really looking forward to the increased flexibility and ease of use!
        Click image for larger version

Name:	image_67884.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	62.9 KB
ID:	579584Click image for larger version

Name:	image_67888.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	77.1 KB
ID:	579583Click image for larger version

Name:	image_67885.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	64.9 KB
ID:	579582Click image for larger version

Name:	image_67889.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	66.0 KB
ID:	579581Click image for larger version

Name:	image_67887.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	68.5 KB
ID:	579580Click image for larger version

Name:	image_67886.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	67.2 KB
ID:	579579

Comment

• BriggsBBQ
          BriggsBBQ commented
          Editing a comment
          Spinaker not trying to argue but I thought the CGS one does slide back and can be used with the regular placesetter based on what I see in this youtube video. Not sure if he has a newer version or I am seeing this wrong. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMqB...8#action=share

• BriggsBBQ
          BriggsBBQ commented
          Editing a comment
          Spinaker Nothing wrong with a preference. Sometimes small differences make things better. Still people out there that do a charcoal basket over the SNS. Some still say SNS is tons better because of x things they prefer. I am close to being in the market for another ceramic and like to know the absolute best accessories.

• Spinaker
          Spinaker commented
          Editing a comment
          Yeah, The one in the video is the new PSWoo . I have the first version with the multi rack system. The new Woo set ups can be made to be almost the exact same and the Eggspander or the other way around, depends on how you look at it. BriggsBBQ

So I just bought the Woo for my vision, but after looking, would I have been better off purchasing the Adjustable Rig w/ attached spider?

Comment

• LA Pork Butt
          LA Pork Butt commented
          Editing a comment
          bbq_joe it all depends on what you want to do. I am a gadget junkie so I have both. I use the Woo more for low and slow. I’ll use the Rig for doing multiple racks of rib, a brisket if I don’t separate the point and flat, and if I am cooking multiple foods for t to 4 people. But, in addition to low and slow I use the Woo for roasting and grilling direct at the felt line.

• bbq_joe
          bbq_joe commented
          Editing a comment
          Ok. So the woo will be perfect for smoking my ribs or Boston butts then. If I am picturing it correctly the deflector plate will set in the base and then the grates will set on top of the woo I am hoping; this allowing me to lift everything out in one pull. Right?

• LA Pork Butt
          LA Pork Butt commented
          Editing a comment
          It does on the BGE and I would assume it would on the Visions. Don’t overlook the possibility of roasting direct at the felt line far away from the charcoal. That is essentially how they cook baby backs at the famed Rendezvous Restaurant in Memphis.

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here