Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Accessories For Taming The Savage Kamado

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Accessories For Taming The Savage Kamado

Howdy again, Maniacs!

Hey, I'm planning on posting an installment on Kamado Accessories that you may really want to have. Right now I'm thinking of Heat Deflectors, Baking Stones, and Secondary Cooking Grates. That's a lot to bite off. I promise a lot of pictures instead of a lot of words.

Is there anything else in the way of accessories that you'd think you'd need as basics to your kamado? This is a thread that may need a Part 1, Part 2, etc. Now I really don't want to get wrapped around the axle on this as there are entire companies dedicated to producing accessories to aide in cooking. However, I'm open whatever you guys think you need discussed.

Just post your requests below and why you think it needs to be discussed and we'll see what we can do, okay?

Thanks in advance!

CeramicChef รขโ‚ฌโ€น I know you guys talked to me about this, but since you have differing views on the KAB and the Fish Bones grate....maybe you guys could touch on what you use and why.

Also, what draft assistants you guys prefer, and why, for your rigs. (BBQ GURU, Digi Q)

Just a few suggestions, but you guys k now what people REALLY NEED to know so I will, of course, differ to you.

Thanks! Looking forward to the next installment.

Comment

• CeramicChef
      CeramicChef commented
      Editing a comment
      Spinaker - hey, I'm not the final word here. I'm just coordinator. I have no experience with the Fish Bones grate and I'd love to see your opinion. As for the KAB, again, I have an opinion and we all know about those! Write something; I'll incorporate it in a post on airflow assistance. Deal?

• JCBBQ
      JCBBQ commented
      Editing a comment
      Not ready to buy one, but i'd love to hear your thoughts on the guru etc.

CeramicChef I think you could include controllers and thermometers. I have a number of accessories from Ceramic Grill works that expand capacity and versatility that Imwould be willing to write about how I use them and why I like them. Breadhead could write about how he uses the Grill Dome grill for reverse sear. Had I known about it sooner, I think I would own one.

Comment

• Breadhead
      Breadhead commented
      Editing a comment
      LA... You can buy that handy dandy grate for about $40. I use it for many other things than just searing meat.

• CeramicChef
      CeramicChef commented
      Editing a comment
      LA Pork Butt - Controllers, to me, kind of require an entire post of their own. It's something I think we need to address on their own. I'd love your assistance on that if you're willing! As for thermometers, are you talking electronics, bimetallics, etc.?

Spinaker ...

CeramicChef and I don't disagree on the KAB. He sees the value of it as simplifying the removal of your unburned lump and the ability to clean the ash off of it before reusing it. As do I.

However... I do wish I had gone straight from the stock firebox grate that came with my BGE from the factory into the KAB. That would have eliminated the cost of the Fish Bone grate entirely. Now I have the standard grate and the Fish Bone grate cluttering up my accessory storage shed.๐Ÿ™„ The KAB provides for maximum air flow just like the Fish Bone grate did. Which is a major improvement on the standard grate.

CeramicChef and I also use different heat control techniques regarding our air flow vents. I do not disagree with his method at all. I don't think he disagrees with my method either. The real lesson there was to use either method and "get to know your cooker"!

In view of the fact that both CeramicChef and I have done that exercise many times... We know our cookers intuitively. He could use my method at the drop of a hat, without giving it much thought and I could convert to his method immediately too.

We are graciously encouraging new Kamado cookers to do that exercise repeatedly until they they know and can anticipate what is going on in their cooker instinctually.
    Last edited by Breadhead; June 15, 2016, 05:46 AM.

Comment

• Breadhead
      Breadhead commented
      Editing a comment
      If you build it... They will come.๐Ÿ‘

We want AR to be the premier go to website for Kamado cooking.๐Ÿ˜Ž It will take time but the more valuable content we create the more people will cravitate to it.๐Ÿ˜
      Last edited by Breadhead; June 14, 2016, 11:55 AM.

• CeramicChef
      CeramicChef commented
      Editing a comment
      Spinaker - I have a multitude of references to the contrary!

• CeramicChef
      CeramicChef commented
      Editing a comment
      Guest - I like your post and your comment.

Maniacs, Breadhead and I aren't the final word on anything here. I have experience; so too with Breadhead. You guys aren't babes in the woods. To keep things semi-organized I'm just coordinating. We want your input!
      Last edited by CeramicChef; June 14, 2016, 03:05 PM. Reason: Correct typos

CeramicChef I will be glad to help. I am cool with controllers as a separate topic. You could include the system of drinking beer and marking your temp settings in an 8 hour test run. I was thinking of electronic thermometers, but even though Meathead doesn't think much of dome thermometers I think they can get the job done on low and slow in a Kamado for ribs and longer cooks. They may not be as helpful on metal cookers and when the grill temp at higher temperature is more critical.

Comment

• Holysmoke
      Holysmoke commented
      Editing a comment
      I've been using the Auber Ind. PID for 2 years now and utilizing the settings I acquired on the kamadoguru sight keeps my temps within a degree or two for hours when I have other things to do. Would love to have a thread to learn about what others are using.

• CeramicChef
      CeramicChef commented
      Editing a comment
      Holysmoke - We'll get there soon. Maybe you and LA Pork BUtt would like to collaborate with us!?

You're on the Guru? Didn't know that. What's your handle over there?

• Holysmoke
      Holysmoke commented
      Editing a comment
      CeramicChef Same handle. Haven't posted much lately but the summer schedule is bring more time for cooking and chatting. WOuld love to contribute anything I could of my limited knowledge to help.

CeramicChef & Breadhead, I do not have a Kamado (yet), but I am enjoying learning all this stuff before buying. It makes the selection process easier and helps me figure out what I want versus what I need. I think Heat Deflectors, Baking Stones, and Secondary Cooking Grates are great sub-topics. I also think that in terms of electronic air flow/temperature control accessories you should not worry about the brands but discuss what (in general terms) they bring to the table versus stock controls and how valuable they are or are not. Again this type of discussion helps the buyer determine the return on investment. From post I believe you go do the same think with leave in thermometers.

Comment

• CeramicChef
      CeramicChef commented
      Editing a comment
      martybartram - thanks for your input. It's greatly appreciated!

So what kinds of Kamados are you thinking about possibly putting on your patio?

• Breadhead
      Breadhead commented
      Editing a comment
      martybartram ... Welcome to the dark side.๐Ÿ‘ People that own Kamado cookers are glad they have them.๐Ÿ‘Œ

Another great thread! I have a couple of items I use in my XL BGE that I really love.

The SmokeWare vent cap. It doesn't move around when opening the lid, protects from rain getting inside, easy to mark with a sharpie, nice fine-tuning with the sloped section, and when done with your cook can be closed to shut down your egg.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	smokeware cap.jpg
Views:	461
Size:	84.6 KB
ID:	181060

I did not buy the stock platesetter (it was not a packaged deal). I purchased the Woo and a stone from the Ceramic Grill Store. The stock grid fits nicely on top and a cooking grid can be added to the lower ring for right-above-the lump searing. Also a wok could be used on the lower ring. Here's the Woo for the Large BGE and the XL BGE.

Name:	ceramicgrillstore woo.jpg
Views:	266
Size:	14.9 KB
ID:	181059 Click image for larger version

Name:	ceramicgrillstore xl woo.png
Views:	270
Size:	179.7 KB
ID:	181061

Comment

• CeramicChef
      CeramicChef commented
      Editing a comment
      That's an interesting looking accessory. All this stuff came along after my BGE days were over. So many ancillary items/products out there. That SmokeWare vent cap seems to be a real home run. Let's see what develops over the course of this discussion. Thanks!

• Breadhead
      Breadhead commented
      Editing a comment
      fuzzydaddy ... I agree on the Smoke Ware vent cap. That thing is a no brainer, must have, accessory, IMHO. I've had mine a long time and it's much easier than the standard Daisy wheel. The Woo I've heard a lot of good stuff about it but I don't have one. Your dome thermometer? What's that?
      Last edited by Breadhead; June 15, 2016, 07:06 AM.

• fuzzydaddy
      fuzzydaddy commented
      Editing a comment
      Breadhead it's not my BGE; the photo is from their website where they're showing off a dome thermometer that they sell. I'm out of town but have some photos with me that I'll post below.

CeramicChef Well obviously I want an extra large Kamado Komodo but we need to quit renting and decide on our retirement location and house before I make that kind of investment. Currently, the Primo XL 400 looks like the front runner, the size is enticing, this sites reviews and others are great. The size is edging it our over a BGE. I am REALLY trying NOT to buy a PBC because that will cut into the ability to maintain my current lifestyle (happily married) if I added a kamado after the PBC anytime in the next few months. 15 years or so ago I figured out that I could be right or I could be happy. I choose happy. I married a redhead so it is much harder to be right anyway.
    That is all kind of tongue in cheek but seriously, I pushed the boundaries a lot during the first ten years and am lucky to still be married. Coming home after dropping $800 on fly fishing / tying equipment with no prior discussion was the first trial I survived...I am much more diligent to try and curb my financial compulsiveness these days.

Comment

• CeramicChef
      CeramicChef commented
      Editing a comment
      martybartram - I'm a former Primo Oval XL owner and it was a great kamado. You'll be very happy with a Primo. The Primo is a much more versatile cooker than the PBC. It all depends on what you want to cook. Best of luck and here's to many more happy Readheaded years!

• martybartram
      martybartram commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks, after hearing about the gorilla grills Kong today on BBQ central radio show, that may be the way to go. $799 loaded 24" is a deal, looking forward to some reviews by pros

Originally posted by fuzzydaddy View Post
    Another great thread! I have a couple of items I use in my XL BGE that I really love.

The SmokeWare vent cap. It doesn't move around when opening the lid, protects from rain getting inside, easy to mark with a sharpie, nice fine-tuning with the sloped section, and when done with your cook can be closed to shut down your egg.
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]n181060[/ATTACH]

I did not buy the stock platesetter (it was not a packaged deal). I purchased the Woo and a stone from the Ceramic Grill Store. The stock grid fits nicely on top and a cooking grid can be added to the lower ring for right-above-the lump searing. Also a wok could be used on the lower ring. Here's the Woo for the Large BGE and the XL BGE.
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]n181059[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]n181061[/ATTACH]

I use the same 2 items on my XL BGE and like them both very much. I also like my Third Hand from Third Eye Q.

Comment

• fuzzydaddy
      fuzzydaddy commented
      Editing a comment
      BGWolf if you look at my photo of my Egg below, hanging on the red table is what I have to lift my cooking grate. It looks similar to the Third Hand. It's called the Ott Grill Grid Lifter and I purchased it on eBay.

• Jon Liebers
      Jon Liebers commented
      Editing a comment
      I also have the smokeware cap and a woo. excellent stuff.

I think I am going to pick up the Kick Ash basket today at a local retailer. Pretty pumped for the upgrade.

Comment

• Breadhead
      Breadhead commented
      Editing a comment
      I think that is a wise decision grasshopper. If you're still using the standard firebox grate, removing that and using the KAB will give you better air flow. Plus dealing with your unused lump after a cook is so easy peasy.๐Ÿ‘Œ

Here's some photos I have of my BGE with the Smokeware vent cap and Ceramic Grill Store Woo. Just ask and I'll gladly provide more info, take other photos, and make measurements!

The vent cap.

Name:	IMG_5888.jpg
Views:	439
Size:	99.6 KB
ID:	181214

The Woo with my stock cooking grate.
    The stone is under the drip pan.
    The lip of the drip pan is 2" below the cooking grate, and it's 3" from the bottom of the drip pan to the bottom of the cooking grate.

Name:	IMG_4925.jpg
Views:	390
Size:	178.4 KB
ID:	181217

A cooking grate on the lower ring of the Woo. I can measure but I remember it being 21" in diameter.

Name:	IMG_5245.jpg
Views:	422
Size:	162.3 KB
ID:	181215

When sitting in the fire ring notches, the Woo is positioned very close to the lump.
    I don't have a measurement with me (I'm out of town) but it's probably between 2" and 3" to the lump.

Name:	IMG_5247.jpg
Views:	426
Size:	168.1 KB
ID:	181216

Comment

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      FD, So this set up is a replacement for the Platesetter from BGE? Thank you, Sir!

• fuzzydaddy
      fuzzydaddy commented
      Editing a comment
      Spinaker Yes! I bought the BGE without the Platesetter. I like the flexibility of this setup.

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      Gotcha! Thanks.

I picked up my ash basket few days ago . I'm just getting around to using it . I also bought some new lump charcoal that I'm pretty excited to try . There are a lot of really nice pieces in here . So far this is the best bag of lump that I have seen. I hope it burns just as well.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Spinaker; June 18, 2016, 12:01 PM.

Comment

• Breadhead
      Breadhead commented
      Editing a comment
      ๐Ÿ‘ ... The KAB just makes a whole lot of sense to me.๐Ÿค” Especially the next day after the cook when you need to tidy up your cooker for the next cook.

• CeramicChef
      CeramicChef commented
      Editing a comment
      Spinaker - that's some really nice looking lump. Please let us know how you like it.

Am I wrong or will that KAB only hold about half a fire bowl of lump? How much lump does that KAB hold? I'm looking forward to your thoughts on the KAB. You too, Breadhead.

• Breadhead
      Breadhead commented
      Editing a comment
      CeramicChef ...

You insert the KAB and then fill the firebox to the tip top of the bowl, like the KAB is not there. As the lump burns down the ash falls below the KAB and you cook on. My estimation is that you lose about 5% lump capacity using the KAB.

Breadhead CeramicChef

After the first run, I am very impressed with the results. I did have to add more lump towards the end of the cook. I can attribute that to my increased airflow from the KAB or maybe I didn't add as much lump as I usually do. It was tough to gauge how much to use with the basket. I could definitely tell that the basket helps gets the fire going much faster. And helps to maintain nice even temps.

The lump burned great! And the basket seems to have added to the overall experience. I will be curious to see how it shakes out (see what I did there ) tomorrow when I throw the ribs and chicken on tomorrow for Father's Day.

Comment

Spinaker ... Like CeramicChef said in an earlier post, trying to guess how much lump to put in your firebox for a particular cook, is a lose, lose endeavor. You will rarely get it right.

Now that you have your KAB... Put it in and fill your firebox right to the tip top of the bowl, on every cook. The next day, after your cooker has fully cooled, pick up your KAB, take it to your trash can and give it a shake. Reload it and clean out the bottom of your firebox and you're good to go for your next cook, no matter if it's grilling or a 16 hour low and slow cook.๐Ÿ‘

Comment

• CeramicChef
        CeramicChef commented
        Editing a comment
        Spinaker - as Breadhead says, always start with a full fire bowl of lump. It makes life so much easier.

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        Will do for now on! Thanks guys!

Have owned my KJ Classic for only about a month -- have owned just about every other type of cooker for decades, but resisted Kamados because my brother is an egghead and, frankly, he's obnoxious . In spite of the Kamado being almost like cheating, I've aggressively acessorized:

Essential:
      • KAB: Every other cooker I've owned has a similar basket or open grate for airflow and ease of ash removal. Lack of this in a stock Kamado was, to me, a glaring deficiency. KAB fixes this.
      • Smokeware Chimney Cap: Better control than the CI daisy wheel and maintains settings when opening the lid. Looking forward to the new KJ cap, though, which looks like it will outclass the Smokeware.
      • Joetisserie: It just plain rocks.
      • Pizza Stone: well, duh!
      Optional, but nice to have:
      • Grill Grates: repurposed from my gasser
      • CI grate and griddle: nice to have, but could live without
      • Grate extender: extra capacity and the best place for my pizza stone
      Meh:
      • Guru adaptor: the KJ is even more stable than my insulated cabinet smoker, so doubt I'll ever use my CyberQ on it
      Last edited by Pequod; June 19, 2016, 12:36 AM.

Comment

• BriggsBBQ
        BriggsBBQ commented
        Editing a comment
        On the post. I agree the Guru seems cool but for a ceramic I do not think it is that useful.

• thefist
        thefist commented
        Editing a comment
        I like the Guru for overnight cooks. Removes stress and no need for early morning wake ups.

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        Exactly! thefist

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here