Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Taming The Savage Kamado!

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just looking this one over again before my first BGE cook. What a great reference.

Comment

• EdF
      EdF commented
      Editing a comment
      Indeed it is!

• hogdog6
      hogdog6 commented
      Editing a comment
      Happy BGE cooking, looking forward to the pics. Get a shot of your smoke pot too. 😋

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      Will do! hogdog6

Wow! This was an amazing wright up. I don’t own a kamado & found this very interesting.

Comment

• EdF
      EdF commented
      Editing a comment
      He put together a few other great threads in the same section. I think they're all sticky.

hogdog6
    Here are a few pictures of the Smoke Pot after my cook yesterday.
    I started my fire and let the BGE come up too temp. Then I hollowed out a little nook to place the Smoke Pot in. finally I covered it wth more coals and let it do it's thing. I was amazed at how much fuel I had left. I took this picture at about 1300 today. I didn't shut it down last night, I wanted to see how long it would go. It was still at 275 F when I opened the Egg at 1300
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Smoke Pot:After Fire.JPG
Views:	319
Size:	258.7 KB
ID:	418897

Here is the smoke pot, I just took these. I almost feel bad neglecting this piece, almost......

Name:	Smoke Pot:Out of Box.JPG
Views:	325
Size:	111.8 KB
ID:	418896

Here is what is left of the wood. I had this SM filled to the brim with pecan chips and oak chunks from some barrel staves. Another reason I love the smoke pot? It makes the perfect small lump pieces for my Hibachi Grill. Win, win in my book.

Name:	Smoke Pot:Lid off:Coals.JPG
Views:	314
Size:	107.6 KB
ID:	418898

Comment

Spinaker Looks great. It is amazing how well ceramics hold the fire. I have a pot that was just right for my medium BGE that I gave to my son when I purchased my KJ Classic but it is too small now for the larger cooker. What size is yours and where did you get it. When I started using a smoke pot it was a game changer, completely changed the smoke profile, and you’re right leaves you with some extra charcoal "bonus!"

Comment

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      Here is the one I bought. It fits perfect.

• hogdog6
      hogdog6 commented
      Editing a comment
      Something didn’t work

Spinaker i have gone 22 hours on my large BGE with 40# of Boston Butt at 225 on one load of charcoal up to the bottom of the fire ring. The Kamado are amazingly fuel efficient.

Comment

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      I love that.

People who don't have one say, "Why?" And then they get one and say, "Oh."

Comment

• Mosca
      Mosca commented
      Editing a comment
      Kamado. Smoke pot is sauce on top.

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      Seriously. Mosca

• hoovarmin
      hoovarmin commented
      Editing a comment
      That's exactly what I'm saying right now, "Oh!"

This is a fantastic post CeramicChef. Wish I'd found it a year or so ago when I bought my BGE. Can't wait to do this calibration — while staying well-hydrated. Thanks.

Comment

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      One of the best thread in The Pit.

Ceramic Chef, I just saw your instructions on temperature control of a Kamado. I tried to follow the link to Breadhead's version but it's empty, appears to be cleared out, former member. Do you know of any other way to access that info? Thanks Mickey.

Comment

This is a cross post - does anyone here with a Big Joe have pics of their vent settings at the various temps in this exercise. If so, please share your location for determining elevation above sea-level. Thanks in advance.

Comment

• Oak Smoke
      Oak Smoke commented
      Editing a comment
      I don’t, my new big joe is setting under the roof on the patio. Because of burn bans I haven’t built a fire in it yet. I used this post to learn my kamado joe classic. I cheat now with a smobot. I ordered a new one to go on the big joe. All the hype aside these really work, no fan, great wifi, simply does what it claims it will do.

I attempted this exercise yesterday but found that I need a more operational definition of "light the coals." I assumed that meant get enough heat to see flames, and when I shut the lid intending to creep up to 225 as instructed, found that it was already at 330. I got it back down and was able to hold her steady at 225 for an hour but it took a while because of all that stored heat in the ceramic.

How do you all understand what constitutes "lit" or "started" for the purpose of this exercise?

Comment

• jfmorris
      jfmorris commented
      Editing a comment
      I will add that like tbob4 says, it can take some time to get from 150 to 225. I watch my Smoke remote, and when it crosses 200F, I go ahead and put the meat on the kamado.

• hoovarmin
      hoovarmin commented
      Editing a comment
      tbob4 and jfmorris - good stuff, guys. Thank you!

• smokin fool
      smokin fool commented
      Editing a comment
      Agree with jfmorris, again I have the BKK, but same premise, you have to sneak up on it so to speak.
      I use starter cubes also, let mine sit open for 10-15 mins while it establishes coals, add my diffuser and grates and close. With mine I find the more I open and close it the more apt its going to run away on me then its the temp chasing game all day.

I think I got it now. Held it steady until dinner time was creeping up and then wrapped it 8hrs in and cranked the heat a bit (on purpose this time.)

Name:	FirstKJBJIIIShoulder.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	190.6 KB
ID:	1212551

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here