Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kamado Air Flow, Fire Bowls, and Vents

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CeramicChef, what is the small round knob to the right of the vents?

Comment

• fuzzydaddy
      fuzzydaddy commented
      Editing a comment
      I may be wrong ( please correct me CeramicChef ), but I believe it's the BBQ Guru / Stoker Inducer Port.

• CeramicChef
      CeramicChef commented
      Editing a comment
      Thunder77 - @fizzydaddy is correct. When I use my PID that is where the blower best plugged into TheBeast. Standard on all KKs.

Thank you Sir. This info is much appreciated since I am considering purchasing one of these

Comment

• CeramicChef
      CeramicChef commented
      Editing a comment
      W.A. - are you thinking of a kamado in general or one of the 3 mentioned in this post. I hope to pretty much cover the waterfront from least expensive (Akorn) to the most expensive, the Komodo Kamado. Let me know if there is something you need to discuss.

• JimmieOhio
      JimmieOhio commented
      Editing a comment
      I am about to purchase a large BGE myself. I have done the research, but your help is greatly appreciated.

• CeramicChef
      CeramicChef commented
      Editing a comment
      JimmieOhio - congrats on your new BGE! It's one fine cooker and you won't be disappointed. Welcome to the world of Kamado Cookers!

Very well done, CC. Many thanks for your help in making this site fantasticer!

Comment

• CeramicChef
      CeramicChef commented
      Editing a comment
      Huskee - thanks, Huskee. I appreciate the feedback. We're all here to make this place work for all of us. As my dear Mom used to say, "Many hands make light the labor." I'm just sharing and hoping to learn.

CeramicChef Here is a tip on remembering your airflow settings. I am not sure if you can do this on all the above mentioned cookers, but I know you can on the BGE. I used a permanent marker to mark 1 inch intervals on the bottom vent and I do the same on my smokeware top vent. It helps me gauge the smaller intervals more accurately.

Comment

• CeramicChef
      CeramicChef commented
      Editing a comment
      LA Pork Butt - I've seen that done. You and I are old school. These young kids these days take pics with their cell phones and save them to the Cloud. Irrespective, what ever works and gets the job done is good by me. Thanks!

Very nice write up CeramicChef. Enjoyed the pics of your Komodo Kamado. What a fantastic example of engineering!

Comment

• CeramicChef
      CeramicChef commented
      Editing a comment
      BGWolf - thanks for the feedback. It's greatly appreciated.

TheBeast sends his best to you.

Very useful and informative. Thank you CC. Just curious why you didn't throw your Primo XL into the comparison. Is it similar to one of your comparators?

Comment

Great information. Have you also compared dimensions of various ceramic grills?

I have had the Pit Boss and Big Green Egg. the Pit Boss was shorter and fatter. This created a real hot spot in the middle vs outsides. I think it did not cook as well or have as even heat as the Big Green Egg. Could also be the ceramics.

Another thing is the fit of the firebox in your above comparison. The Bge and KK fireboxes do not have near the gaps in the sides as the vision. The Pit Boss had the same gaps as well and those parts that were covered by the grill grating were not as hot as the rest of the grating.

Comment

• BriggsBBQ
        BriggsBBQ commented
        Editing a comment
        I've been thinking about going back to ceramic cooking. Kamado Joe Classic II looks really good to me right now.

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here