Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you use a water pan in your Kamado?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do you use a water pan in your Kamado?

When all I had was a Weber Kettle my bbq developed a tremendous amount of bark. But since I primarily use my Kamado and PBC to smoke now, my low and slow cooks don't produce that rich bark anymore. Is that because of not using a water pan during the cook? I've heard that the Kamado is a humid cooker and a water pan should not be used. What say you all?

I never use one. There is no need in a kamado. (IMHO) There is so little airflow that all it really does is extend the cook. I will spritz the corners of a brisket, but that is the only moisture I add to my cooks on the kamado.

In an offset or something else where there is a ton of airflow, you need them, but not in a Kamado.......if you ask me.

Comment

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah, that is a good temp to run at. I go at 275 F, but it should not make that big of a difference. I only wrap when I have the bark I like, which is generally around 185 F or so.

• hoovarmin
      hoovarmin commented
      Editing a comment
      So what you are saying is that it's time for a stick burner. I'll tell my wife we're selling one of the kids to science.

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      Haha, exactly. hoovarmin

+1 for what Spinaker said. I’ve never felt the need in my Kamado Joe.

Comment

Same as above. Although I don't even feel it's mandatory in my stickburner either.

Comment

Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't. My most recent routine has been to use a small disposable drip pan under the meat and put just some water in there. The pan sits on my Baking Steel I use as a heat deflector. For the water, I use my wife's electric tea kettle to get the water boiling before it goes in. My reasoning is that this gives a really good blast of steam at the very beginning of the cook to get good smoke on the meat when it goes on cold right after the water. The pan only gets an inch or less of water, and with it sitting on the hot steel, the water is gone pretty quickly. Then we are just getting sizzling drippings in the pan. I consider that to be the best of both worlds.

Of course, once my Lone Star Grillz Adjustable arrives and is installed, my learning curve will start all over...

Comment

• hoovarmin
          hoovarmin commented
          Editing a comment
          When you LSG arrives I'm moving in

• smokin fool
          smokin fool commented
          Editing a comment
          Yup, I'm 70/30 pro water pan and heating the water has its advantages over adding cold water.

• Skip
          Skip commented
          Editing a comment
          You will like the LSG Adjustable. Be sure to post when it arrives.

I’ve done both, but I can’t say that with or without the water pan more bark. Is produced. If I use a water pan it is because of the theory that more moisture causes more smoke to cling to the meat. But I honestly can’t tell if the water pan causes more smoke to cling to the meat.

Comment

Its up for debate: Usually i never use a water pan in my WSCG but i may need to rethink this after watching this YouTube video from Smoking Dad BBQ.

Comment

I finally figured out that to get good bark on a brisket in my kamado I was going to have to cook hotter. I now cook brisket at 300 F and get wonderful bark and good moisture retention. A side affect of that is a shorter cook too. An average brisket will cook in 6 to 6.5 hours. I went through the wrapping in butcher paper and the foil wrap methods. I honestly think I get a great brisket with out wrapping.

Comment

Only time I use a "water pan" in my Primo is for turkey. And the "water pan" is really there for gravy more than it is for water. It is absolutely not needed. In fact, there is so much humidity that even with the heat water runs down the lid, around the fire box, where it gets turned into more steam.

But the gravy is good stuff. I use the recipe on the free side for "ultimate smoked turkey" but I add more stuff to the gravy. Like the turkey neck and whatever I trim off. And grand mariner. Maybe a touch of whiskey if I have any. Stuff like that.

Comment

I will say it is easy to clean your drip pan with a little water in it at the start of the cook. But I really do not do that anymore. If I am going to make a gravy, like SmokeyGator then I will fill that water pan up just so the fats don't burn to the bottom of the drip pan.

Honestly, I kind of wonder where the whole water pan thing started. Does any cooker really need them? I know Franklin and others have said they are a must in the big smokers they run. That being said, I have seen brick pits that are YARDS long with 80 FT stacks and tons of airflow.........no water pans what so ever.

Comment

• hoovarmin
                  hoovarmin commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Maybe it was the same person who told us we need to soak our wood chips/chunks in water.

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here