Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kamado Smoke Pot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i wonder if this would work for a foil packet of chips. if you point the slashes down toward the fire instead of up, would it produce the same thing? i would think so...

Comment

great information...thanks for sharing

Comment

Originally posted by DeusDingo View Post
        i wonder if this would work for a foil packet of chips. if you point the slashes down toward the fire instead of up, would it produce the same thing? i would think so...
        I don't see why its wouldn't work in theory. But don't expect a lot of smoke for a long period of time as a foil packet is rather small. If you're doing something that doesn't take much time or you don't want the cook to adsorb much smoke, e.g. chicken or fish, then I think a foil packet may be just fine.

Good idea!

Comment

Originally posted by johnsteen View Post
          great information...thanks for sharing
          You are quite welcome!

We're all here to learn from each other.

Comment

What about a foil packet full of chunks? I think that might have an advantage in a smaller kamado like BGE, Akorn etc. A 1qt kettle might not hold enough wood, a 2qt kettle isn't shaped well for the smaller fire. But a foil packet could be made long and thin, banana shaped, and nestled down into the coals. Or, you could make three softball sized packets, and place them in the areas where the deflector plate would normally expose the meat to the fire, solving two problems at once.

The only way to find out is to try this. When I find some answers I'll start a new topic.

Comment

• LA Pork Butt
              LA Pork Butt commented
              Editing a comment
              Typically I smoked on my large BGE with one fist sized piece of hickory on top of the small fire in the center. It smolderes throughout the cook, is never consumed by the fire and there was always enough smoke. Sometimes when I didn't have a piece that large I would use two or three smaller ones with similar results. That being said it would seem to me that the one quart Dutch oven would hold enough wood. My major concerns about the Dutch oven is whether it might be too tall and whethern4 holes will be enough. On the other hand I wonder if the foil might disintegrate overtime with the intense heat, since I have wrapped defusers in the past with foil and it disintegrates over time. Keep us posted on your discoveries.

• Mosca
              Mosca commented
              Editing a comment
              Advantages: First, it costs $25 less than a 1 quart Dutch oven that is going to be repurposed as a a smoke box. Second, I have foil in the kitchen right now and don't have to go searching for the drill and bits. Third, I can vary the size and shape of the pouch if I want more wood chunks.

Disadvantages: foil may disintegrate during the cook. But if the wood continues to smoke thin blue, it wouldn't matter.

I envision making a pouch of double thickness shaped like a boat, poking the holes in the bottom so that it behaves like the Dutch oven, and observing the results. Today was too cold, I'm not prepared to work in this! Next Sunday I'll make a couple racks of ribs, take some photos and report the results.
              Last edited by Mosca; November 22, 2015, 07:29 PM.

• LA Pork Butt
              LA Pork Butt commented
              Editing a comment
              I thought I had posted something about using aluminum foil pans and covering them with foil, but I couldn't find the post. Anyway for smoke on short cooks I discovered that I could use an old brinkman cast-iron chip smoker box if I covered the top with aluminum foil, set the cast iron cover on and punched about six holes in the foil. A smoke pot it doesn't make, but for adding smoke on short cooks it works pretty well.

Just read this whole thread and my only question is what type of drill bit is needed for cast iron? and the size of the holes? they look like 1/4 or so in the picture.

Comment

I thought I had all the cooking gadgets I needed but come to find out that a 1 qt Dutch Oven is what I NEED now. Oh well, no boat, no Harley and I do need to feed the Family. Right? Thank you for the great idea! Great posts everyone!

Comment

• Spinaker
              Spinaker commented
              Editing a comment
              Skip, have you tried the Smoke Pot yet?

• Skip
              Skip commented
              Editing a comment
              Yes, I have the 1 Qt pot with 4 holes drilled in the bottom. It works great in my Large BGE.

• Spinaker
              Spinaker commented
              Editing a comment
              Cool! I just got a 3/4 dutch. Do you think that will be too small? And do you put the pot in the middle and then surround it with lit coals?

I'm going to try this with my UDS. Love the idea! However, I don't have pellets. Any reason I can't just use lumps and chips or do I need to invest in some pellets?

Comment

• LA Pork Butt
              LA Pork Butt commented
              Editing a comment
              thedonald78 I don't see why not. On short cooks I sometimes use chips in an old Brinkman cast iron chip smoker box. They have rather large holes on top. Sometimes they smolder and sometimes they burn. I would think they would only smolder in the Dutch oven with holes in the bottom.

• CeramicChef
              CeramicChef commented
              Editing a comment
              thedonald78 - you don't need pellets at all. Chunks work just fine. Forget the chips, they're a waste of money in this application. ENJOY!

• Beefchop
              Beefchop commented
              Editing a comment
              Let me know how it turns out - I proposed this idea w/ the PBC on a diff. thread and most folks poo-poo'd the idea.

I think I have figured out the keys to an effective smoke pot. I was gifted a one quart cast iron Dutch oven last Christmas, and it has taken 10 months to get the courage to drill the holes through the bottom. The first lesson is to only drill four 1/8" holes and not 1/4" holes like I did. Mine still works, but it would work better with 1/8" holes. The smoke pot is supposed to work like a Mo's Pouch which has such small holes that the wood can't burst into flames. The second lessson is to completely fill the the pot with wood to keep the wood from bursting into flames. The way I accomplished it was by putting a layer of pellets on the bottom, adding my wood chuncks and then filling in with pellets to the top of the Dutch oven. It creates a steady stream of somewhat light smoke. Here is what it looks like after a cook. I just add it to the charcoal for my next cook.
            Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0326.JPG
Views:	569
Size:	256.9 KB
ID:	258072

Comment

• Huskee
              Huskee commented
              Editing a comment
              Diggin' the new avatar!

• JCBBQ
              JCBBQ commented
              Editing a comment
              @LAPorkButt, how many hours of smoke do you get with your 1 quart pot filled with wood and pellets?

• LA Pork Butt
              LA Pork Butt commented
              Editing a comment
              JCBBQ I am not sure, but it smokes steady for longer than when I used to put a fist size chunk on the fire which smoked profusely before quieting down. As to the almost clear smoke I have done this at night so I couldn't see the smoke. hogdog6 might be ablnto provide more info.

I made a smoke pot over Christmas. Can't wait to try it out. I will report back!

Comment

I am gonna try this with the Keg. I think I need to get a small dutch though. Probably a one or two quart. Thanks for bringing this back up.

Comment

• Spinaker
                Spinaker commented
                Editing a comment
                Cool man. Thanks for the heads up. What rig do you have yours in?

• LA Pork Butt
                LA Pork Butt commented
                Editing a comment
                Spinaker I have a large BGE.

• Spinaker
                Spinaker commented
                Editing a comment
                Perfect. Our rigs are about the same size.

Originally posted by CeramicChef View Post
              This idea is not original with me; it is, like most really good ideas, borrowed (more like stolen, but let's not spilt hairs!).
              If it makes you feel better, this has been demonstrated on the old RJ Kamado web site many many years ago. I've never tried it, but I know there were a lot who like to do this.

Comment

• LA Pork Butt
                LA Pork Butt commented
                Editing a comment
                Abom what is the old RJ Kamado web site?

LA Pork Butt The maker of the old "Kamado" ceramic smokers was Richard Johnson. Me and at least one other person here has a K7 from him. That company is long gone now.

Comment

• LA Pork Butt
                LA Pork Butt commented
                Editing a comment
                Abom thanks for the info. I tried to locate your above mentioned demonstration on the web. Can you provide any help?

• Abom
                Abom commented
                Editing a comment
                The company and its web site no longer exist. I tried checking google's cached pages, and it's not even there. RJ probably had it all taken down, but who knows?

I've been using a smoke pot in my medium BGE since I read ceramic chefs post. It put out fantastically clean smoke, but you are right to top it off full and let it smolder. It always comes out like charcoal after the cook. I just got a small cast iron pot on Amazon, drilled 4 1/8" holes in the bottom and it works perfect. If you haven't yet give it a try I'm confident you'll be pleased. I've been going to try it out in my PBC but haven't yet.

Comment

I just got my 3/4 Dutch today so I am going to give this a try this weekend. Really looking forward to giving this a try! Stay tuned!

On a side note.....I wonder how Ceramic Chef is doing these days? He has a wealth of knowledge. I miss his posts.

Comment

• hogdog6
                  hogdog6 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I also miss @ Ceramic Chef pray he is well.

• Craigar
                  Craigar commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I was just thinking about CeramicChef earlier this week wondering the samething. Hopefully he is just on a little sabbatical.

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here