Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Finally! I Can Now Sear on My Old Kamado #9

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finally! I Can Now Sear on My Old Kamado #9

For some time, I've been whining about the fact that although my beautiful 15-year-old giant Kamado #9 (it's over five feet tall!) is rock-solid for smoking, its large size means that it's nearly impossible to get a good sear. Even with all the vents open and running close to 500 degrees, searing is minimal because the lump charcoal sits a good 12 inches below the grill surface.

I finally had an idea of a hack I could try to achieve a good sear, and since my wife just left town, tonight was the night to try. I used a 1.37 pound bone-in ribeye she bought me and left behind (it has a twin in the freezer, too--it's a ten day trip!).

First, here's a shot looking into the cooker toward the the fire grate with the grill lifted out:

Click image for larger version

Name:	2021-09-23 13.04.22.jpg
Views:	250
Size:	129.5 KB
ID:	1099380

The key is that steel set of crossbars. Normally, the heat deflector sits on it. I had the brilliant idea that the shallow charcoal pan that came with my Big Horn fire pit might fit. And it does:

Name:	2021-09-23 13.05.16.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	120.7 KB
ID:	1099381

There is still lots of room for air to be drawn in around the edges from the lower vent, so this is great. So, how close does that put the lump charcoal to the grill?

Name:	2021-09-23 13.08.19.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	130.2 KB
ID:	1099382

Here it is all loaded up and ready to go. The lump is only 2-4 inches below the grill surface, so it seems perfect.

It's hard to describe just how happy I was during this cook:

Name:	2021-09-23 18.40.10 (2).jpg
Views:	231
Size:	128.4 KB
ID:	1099383

I went with the Mosca Just Keep Flipping strategy, and it produced a beautiful, delicious steak. More pics of that will go up at SUWYC.

"Just Keep Flipping" is the way I do it, when the char looks right I temp it and move to indirect if necessary.

That is a beautiful steak by the way. Congrats on coming up with a solution to your sear problem.

Comment

Great job. Glad it worked.

Comment

That is EXACTLY how I use my BGE to do steaks! JKF, and when the color on the outside is deep mahogany, check the temp, should be perfect!

Comment

I think I know what happened, Wife made a suggestion, the reply was "get out of town"
          Now we know the rest of the story.

Good looking meat. Love the ribeyes.

Comment

Beautimous, Jim! Congrats, an enjoy!!!

Fantastic lookin steak, Brother!

Comment

"It's hard to describe just how happy I was during this cook"

Isn't that what we're all here for? Congrats on finding a way to teach the old dog new tricks, and an even bigger congrats on enjoying your perfectly cooked steak in a quiet castle with your drink of choice.

Well done, Jim
              Last edited by Andrrr; September 23, 2021, 08:26 PM. Reason: spell check, of course

Comment

I love it!

Remind me what brand that smoker is? Kamado Kamado?

Comment

• Jim White
                  Jim White commented
                  Editing a comment
                  It's the old original (Richard Johnson I think) Kamado company. Their models had numbers, the 9 is the largest. Hundreds of pounds. It has black ceramic tile on outside.

STEbbq Here's a pic.

Name:	2021-02-11 15.40.02 (2).jpg
Views:	189
Size:	96.6 KB
ID:	1099736

Comment

• STEbbq
                  STEbbq commented
                  Editing a comment
                  That is awesome!!!!!!

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here