Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kamados that love to be moved?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kamados that love to be moved?

Everything I have read about various kamados suggests they are not mobile friendly especially if I need to move mine out of the garage, over the garage lip, and across a driveway constantly. One slip, and the top heavy smoker is shattered.

So, I have never really considered them feasible but I like to look at them, especially the Grilla Kong.

However, are there any kamados that are designed to be especially mobile friendly? I’d be curious if anyone has found some design choices that really work.

Weber’s is light enough to be moved along with Char-Griller’s Acorn. Ceramics are too heavy to be moved easily. If they are mounted in tables they are less likely to tip over when moved. But, it still won’t be moved easily. Also, the Broil King Keg 5000 is relatively light to be moved.

Last edited by LA Pork Butt; July 22, 2021, 07:38 PM.

Comment

• smokin fool
      smokin fool commented
      Editing a comment
      10-4 on the BKK, you can buy a trailer hitch option so you can take it attached to your car.
      You can also unbolt the static base and bolt on a wheeled option for portability.
      We have the smaller BKK, I wouldn't say its light but it is awkward to try to pick up on ones own.

• STEbbq
      STEbbq commented
      Editing a comment
      Do any come in tables already?

• smokin fool
      smokin fool commented
      Editing a comment
      The BKK does not come built in, you can buy tables that attach to the handles somehow.

I lost my BGE to the garage lip last year, tipped and broke. After 20 years of moving it in and out.

Comment

• fzxdoc
      fzxdoc commented
      Editing a comment
      Oh that's so sad. It had a good run, though, I would imagine.

Kathryn

• Steve R.
      Steve R. commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm sorry to hear that. I owned a BGE for a very short time (I acquired it used for the sole purpose of flipping it for what I really wanted: a new floor model Weber Ranch kettle ) . Having something stop a wheel from turning and causing it to tip over was always my greatest fear.
      Last edited by Steve R.; July 23, 2021, 12:48 PM.

The PBC is easily moved from garage to wherever you like to cook. Why risk disaster when you can have perfection?

Yes. I see you have / had one. Its never too late to return to the hive.

Comment

• STEbbq
      STEbbq commented
      Editing a comment
      Lifting the PBC across the garage loaded down with all my equipment was kinda brutal.

Yeah, I could have bought some wheels…but I didn’t know about wheels until a few months after I joined. 🤷‍♀️

And now I am spoiled with the easy reloading I have now…

• HawkerXP
      HawkerXP commented
      Editing a comment
      I move my PBC one part at a time. Yes, I need to pull my truck out to do it.

Whatever works for you is best. ..., ..., ...!

• fzxdoc
      fzxdoc commented
      Editing a comment
      I put my PBC on wheels a few years ago and never looked back. So convenient!
      Best $34 I ever spent on Pretty Baby Cooker.

K.
      Last edited by fzxdoc; July 23, 2021, 05:36 AM.

One not mentioned yet is the Golden's cast iron kamado. It ain't NEVER gonna shatter easily. Now, moving easy is another matter due to weight. The simple version without the side table extensions has four wheels and rolls easily on pavement, though might be tough to get it over a tallish door sill in some circumstances. The model with the ample side tables has the "built in table" question you had above answered but only has the two large wheels which requires it be lifted at one end to roll, sort of like a wheel barrow. At my age it was somewhat awkward to move because of the need to lever it. Were I still as physical as I was 30-40 years ago it wouldn't be so much of an issue. The side tables are stout too (both carts are), Greg on Ballistic BBQ even sat on one to show it's strength. I'd guess him to be just south of 200 lbs.

Comment

• Polarbear777
      Polarbear777 commented
      Editing a comment
      Seems like someone we know here into cast iron and kamados should be required to own one.

Spinaker
      Last edited by Polarbear777; July 23, 2021, 08:16 AM.

I'll second the Broil King Keg. Heck, they even have an attachment to hook them up to a trailer hitch.

Comment

in the jokes thread but seems appropriate here…

Comment

What about the Blaze?? That thing is indestructible, right?

Comment

I have a Large BGE and a BGE Wooden Table that I recently added "larger caster wheels" to. It wheels easily on the concrete from the garage to the driveway where I grill. I store it back in the garage whenever it's not in use.

Comment

About a year ago Baby Back Maniac did a comparison on a passel of kamados, the Akorn ended up being quite the surprise. It is often thought of as a cheap little cousin, but is a an interesting cooker.

Comment

• LA Pork Butt
              LA Pork Butt commented
              Editing a comment
              I would guess it cooks much like a Ceramic, and would certainly be easy to move. The knock is it’s longevity, but less likelihood of tipping and durability if it does compared to a ceramic might improve its appeal. You could get two or three for the price of one ceramic.
              Last edited by LA Pork Butt; July 23, 2021, 06:41 PM.

Check out the Grilla Grills AT Kamado Kart

Comment

Was delivering one of my pits to a customer and dropped it off the trailer ramp and fell over. I managed to stand it upright by myself luckily. Got a rattle can of paint out, touched it up. Good to go!!
            Attached Files

Comment

Weber Summit Kamado, available with or without a side table.

Comment

+1 on the Weber Kamado. The cart version is very sturdy. I wouldn't want to roll it across the lawn every day but in and out of the garage should be a cinch.

Comment

STEbbq I've got the SNS Kamado, and while the cart is very nice, it has wheels that are fairly small, and I've never moved it from the concrete area out by my pool where I uncrated it. It would not tolerate moving across a lip of a garage easily. When you move it, you are pulling the handle on the ceramic kamado itself, and it sits in a "nest" or cradle that the cart forms. This is the way most ceramic kamado carts and tables are - the grill just sits on it.

I like that Grilla Kong cart that rangerman points out - that looks ideal, and they provide a way to strap the Kong to it, so there are no worries. If I ever decide I need to move my SNS Kamado around, the Kong cart might be worth looking into.

Aside from the Kong all terrain cart, I think the best bet would be to stay with a metal kamado style grill - one where it is 2 walls of metal with insulation or an air gap between. This includes the Broil King Keg, the Akorn and the Weber Summit Kamado. The Summit will last the longest of those, and has the longest warranty, but also costs 2-3 times what the BKK or Akorn cost.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here