Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's Up With The Dimples?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What's Up With The Dimples?

This is a silly question, but I got to wondering about the dimple pattern you see on the exteriors of most ceramic kamados. Is that just a stylistic thing, or is there some ceramo-mechanical (I just made that word up) reason for those dimples?

Inventor is a golfer. Gotta have dimples to put spin on it and go the distance.

Comment

• gilbertpilz
      gilbertpilz commented
      Editing a comment
      Given how old kamados are, it is probably the case that they have been used as improvised mortar shells in a war or two. Pack a small one full of gunpowder and yeet it over the castle wall with a catapult.

supposedly it reduces the chances of the glaze cracking from repeated thermal expansion and contraction. I would argue it's also an easy way to hide imperfections just like brooming concrete.

Comment

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      Brooming concrete is more about slip resistance although it accomplishes both.

• ItsAllGoneToTheDogs
      ItsAllGoneToTheDogs commented
      Editing a comment
      Troutman I know, but it's often used to cover up imperfections instead of doing a quality job on things like equipment pads, decorative edging etc... and then hyped as an aesthetic upgrade

The Dimples are for Aerodynamic Air Flow, in theory, slow down the cooling process and retain internal heat. They also help provide strain relief on the surface to help prevent premature cracking. Just guessing don't you know. A clue I have not.
    But in truth the dimples pair well with PBR.

Comment

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      I heard if you pour PBR continuously over the dimpled surface while simultaneously ingesting the very same, you get a thermodynamic cooling affect that's described in this formula;

c = pbr/ (1030 kg/m3)+drink/3150j/(kgK)+a lot/0.35W/(mK)

Of course as always its best if the PBR is ice cold !!

Just like Ruffles have ridges, Kamados have dimples.

Don’t ya’ll love it when science meets the Pit?
    Last edited by FireMan; April 7, 2021, 11:50 AM.

Comment

• gilbertpilz
      gilbertpilz commented
      Editing a comment
      Wait. Does that mean I'm supposed to smear sour cream and onion dip on my kamado? Would *that* pair well with PBR? This is all so complicated ...

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      FireMan A poet and don't know it !! Or is that a riddler?? Oh never mind...

Good question, I guess I always attributed it to the molds but hadn't though much about it past that. On a similar note I always wondered why AquaFresh toothpaste has the 3 swirling colors. Are we getting 2 extra better substances when we use it vs the others?

Comment

• gilbertpilz
      gilbertpilz commented
      Editing a comment
      Four out of five dentists always recommend brushing with some brand or other of toothpaste. What's up with that fifth dentist? Does she/he not think we should brush or just not with toothpaste?
      Last edited by gilbertpilz; April 7, 2021, 02:26 PM.

• bbqLuv
      bbqLuv commented
      Editing a comment
      I use toothpaste to wash my hands when fishing. It cleans off the human scent.

The dimples make it hard to see a reflection of yourself. As you grow older that's an option you will appreciate.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here