Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

KK Pizza

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KK Pizza

Kamados lack the top heat needed to brown the top evenly with the bottom. That’s common wisdom. Unless you own a KK. Today’s cook: a pair of South side (of Chicago) thin Crust pizzas. A perfect clone of the legendary Colucci’s in my hometown of Lansing, IL.

Bubba doing what Bubba does.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	0224F9AA-C76E-4017-B13E-1462929F242C.jpeg
Views:	404
Size:	115.9 KB
ID:	843700
    Two 14”‘ers? No problem.

Name:	48413110-B176-4FA4-B11E-D14CEABC2FC9.jpeg
Views:	417
Size:	166.8 KB
ID:	843698
    That’s a real beaut, Clark!

Name:	F38F05A9-BC80-4DCF-87EF-37135E36E7F4.jpeg
Views:	415
Size:	185.8 KB
ID:	843697
    Always, ALWAYS cut square. We’re not barbarians.

Name:	D5793FA1-95D2-462C-BCA9-70684C05DF6F.jpeg
Views:	406
Size:	262.6 KB
ID:	843699
    There were no leftovers.

Mama Mia, that'sa nice lookin a pizza!

Comment

Bubba does good! 🕶

Comment

Oh yeah! Now that’s some Za!

Comment

Actually, any kamado will do it, as long as you get the stone higher up into the dome. My Akorn makes awesome pizza. (Although it is not as cool as your KK!)
          Oh yeah, that is some awesome looking pizza!

Comment

• FredS
            FredS commented
            Editing a comment
            Why do you need to raise the pizza? To get the top closer to the reflected heat from the dome?

• Pequod
            Pequod commented
            Editing a comment
            FredS - yes

Great lookin' pies!

Comment

What temps do you cook pizza? I'm thinking about trying my first pizza Sunday. Have a grill dome.
            Last edited by FredS; May 9, 2020, 09:21 PM.

Comment

• Pequod
              Pequod commented
              Editing a comment
              Depends entirely on the dough; flour used; hydration; oil, sugar and malt content, etc. these were done at 450. My NY style dough is best at 550 on a baking steel, 650 with a stone. Follow the Baking directions for your dough recipe for the temp.

Beautiful pizza, cooked in a beautiful oven on a beautiful day in VA!

Comment

• Pequod
              Pequod commented
              Editing a comment
              Literally 1 mile away...and they have trivia night! . That and the 31 wineries nearby. And they deliver, even in a pandemic.

• pknj
              pknj commented
              Editing a comment
              My wife went to UVA for grad school and I loved the drive down there- once I got past DC. What pretty country, great food, and great beer!

• Pequod
              Pequod commented
              Editing a comment
              My son went to UVA for 6 years. We came to love this area. Great place to be. Great community.

I have a 19" tabletop KK and tried pizza many times. The issue I have is that the steel or stone block the air flow to the point that the KK stops heating up, even with the vents, top and bottom open. The unit is probably too small for the stone/steel. It also uses lots of charcoal to get it really hot. Moved to a dedicated pizza oven and that made a huge difference. You get the hot stone for the bottom and a flame over the top to cook the toppings. Sounds like your KK is large enough to maintain air flow with a stone/steel on the grill.

Comment

Looks fantastic, PBR and pizza, the best of both worlds.
              I like pickles on pizza too.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here