Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Getting Your Ash KKicked

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Getting Your Ash KKicked

Best practice is to clean the ash out of your grill after every cook, am I right? This is especially true of kamados, lest you suffer the inevitable extinguished fire when you do a low and slow. Low air flow + ash = dead fire. So it is written.

Today it occurred to me that I hadn’t cleaned the ash in my KK’s in months. Here’s my ash vac after cleaning:

Click image for larger version

Name:	76499857-4D9C-4AA2-9631-146A425D5CB7.jpeg
Views:	461
Size:	106.8 KB
ID:	769690

Surely my KKooking has suffered from so much ash, no? Can’t say that it has. Unlike most kamados, all of the ash in a KK falls to the bottom, well below the charcoal basket. And all of the airflow is forced through the basket, feeding the flame zone. When I first bought my KK23, I cleaned the ash after every cook, because that’s what I had to do with my old Kamado Joe, or suffer the consequences. Now...I get to it every once in awhile. Have I ever suffered an extinguished fire? Nope. Never.

There is a thread at the KK forum in which a KK owner did a test to see how many cooks he could do without cleaning out the ash before experiencing temperature problems. He did 20 cooks before he gave up. I think I did even more over the last several months.

Thought I would bring back a little fun from days gone by. Using a 19" KK table top model and Royal Oak lump I want to see how many cooks I can do without stirring the old lump before it clogs up and causes temperature problems. Started by cleaning out the KK and opening a new 17 lb bag of RO. I ...

Comment

Nice ash! 🕶

Comment

• Pequod
        Pequod commented
        Editing a comment
        Not the first time I’ve heard that. Just sayin’.

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here