Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

KK Heat Deflectors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KK Heat Deflectors

All Kamados require heavy ceramic heat deflectors for indirect cooking. Am I right?? Can I at least get an Amen?

A current topic at the KK forum shows that while Komodo Kamado's ship with a heat deflector, absolutely nobody uses theirs. Except for one owner who claims she uses hers for garden pavers. Dennis has said repeatedly he only ships them because people expect them. He doesn't use one either.

So how do KK owners do indirect cooking without a heat deflector? Several methods:

For most "indirect" cooks at medium temps (e.g. spatchcocked chicken):
    1. Cook direct on the main or upper grate -- the KK is so well insulated and requires so little airflow, AND the greater distance to the firebox result in very low infrared heating.
    2. Use a basket splitter -- this is my standard configuration in my 32, and reduces the infrared even more.
    For long, low and slow cooks: A sheet of aluminum foil on a lower grate is more than sufficient.

Why does it matter?? Lower flow, gentler heat, moister food. The KK makes this routine, even for inexperienced cooks. Nobody believes that until they experience it.

Nice write-up. Your channel was well worth fighting for. Keep them coming. While I don't have the real deal, I have a Vision Kamado and I will be watching what you post for carry-over information. Thanks!

Comment

I can’t wait to get one of these!! This is interesting!

Comment

• tbob4
        tbob4 commented
        Editing a comment
        I won't let my wife read over my shoulders while reading Pequod 's posts. I know she will think I NEED one. Phew. She is walking into the house right now. Gotta go to another topic.

• Pequod
        Pequod commented
        Editing a comment
        tbob4 - the key is to say you think you need a 42...then have her talk you down to a 32.

tbob4 Carry-over Info! I've heard of CoI! I get stainless pizza plates from A-Prime in various diameters and use them as heat shields, spatter collectors, race-tracks after cutting a hole in the middle, etc.

Comment

• tbob4
        tbob4 commented
        Editing a comment
        I have the deflector that came with my Vision grill. I broke but I still put the two halves together and a pizza stone on top. The dogs love the bottom stone. I try to keep the top one clean. The dogs keep the two halves of the bottom one clean. I think the KK is a much deeper unit, making the need for the deflectors optional in situations where I definitely need one.

• Pequod
        Pequod commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes, exactly. The distance from firebox to main grate is substantially larger in a KK than in other Kamados. The most heat deflector I ever use is a sheet of aluminum foil.

A day late and a dollar short, I know... I got the double-bottom drip pan from Dennis with my KK, it works great and keeps gunk out of the bottom of the cooker. Click image for larger version

Name:	01ef0aa80d69dff0762a0da4665b9504705f97defd.jpg
Views:	388
Size:	132.0 KB
ID:	858430 .

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here