Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Smokin' Joe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jkdurden
    replied
    On this cook, I started the cook at 225-235 with apple wood and kept that temp for about 3 hours. Then bumped the temp up to 250-255. Kept it there until I had the bark I wanted and was nearing the end of the stall. I wrapped in foil (still need to buy butcher paper) and pushed the temps up to 295 for the remainder of the cook. Total time for the cook about 9-10 hours.

Leave a comment:

• Geary58
    replied
    That looks absolutely delicious!!!

Leave a comment:

• LA Pork Butt
    commented on 's reply
    Thanks for the shout out. There are many different ways to get good Q. Developing a good system helps give consistent results.

• HawkerXP
    replied
    Welcome to the Pit!

Leave a comment:

• Thunder77
    replied
    Apple or cherry are my favorite woods for smoking pork butt.

Leave a comment:

• Texas Larry
    replied
    LA Pork Butt k butt has a good system there. I have a Big Joe, and do much the same for temp control. I sometimes put the wood under the charcoal. I don’t use a water pan. Have fun with your cooks.

Leave a comment:

• Mr. Bones
    commented on 's reply
    Me neither, Mate...

• Stuey1515
    replied
    Welcome from Oz, you will like it here, I'll let the guru's make suggestions for the Kamado as I have no clue

Leave a comment:

• jkdurden
    replied
    Thanks everyone. I somehow missed the reply but everything turned out great. I appreciate your help. I hope it also benefited someone else.

Make it a great one.

JD
    Attached Files
    Last edited by jkdurden; December 25, 2020, 10:01 PM.

Leave a comment:

• LA Pork Butt
    commented on 's reply
    @conraderzo yep! I use the one from BGE. I put it, the waterpan and the grill in when the temp reaches 300 and then let it settle down and stabilize at 225.

• conradzero
    commented on 's reply
    Do you use the ceramic place setter to great deflect heat? Assuming you do unless you have a very big BGE.

• mountainsmoker
    replied
    Welcome from the mountains of North Carolina. LA Pork Butt gave you some good advice.

Leave a comment:

• FireMan
    replied
    Yup! Welcome JK. Eat good & have fun.

Leave a comment:

• RonB
    replied
    Welcome to The Pit.

Leave a comment:

• LA Pork Butt
    replied
    I cook on a BGE, but I think what I do will work for you. I do mine overnight at 225 and plan for the cook to take 12-14 hours on a Butt that is almost 5” thick. Thickness of meat determines cook time. While I don’t usually wrap during the cook, I do wrap after the cook and plan to hold the meat in an ice chest for 2-4 hours before serving. Allowing one hour to start and stabilize the fire the total time will be from 15-17 hours.

Here’s how I set up the fire and wood. I place a layer of the largest pieces of charcoal in the bottom of the firebox followed by a layer of medium sized pieces and topped off with a layer of small completely filling the fire box. I bury a starter square on edge about mid way between the center of the charcoal and the bottom vent running from left to right. I light both corners of the square and let the temp run up to 300 degrees. The temp will drop when you put the diffuser in. Then I take a large fist size piece of hickory and place it directly on the fire. I put the diffuser and drip pan in, fill it with water and then put the grill on. While the water isn’t necessary more smoke is attracted because moister attracts smoke.

Once the cooker is stabilized at 225 I take the meat out of the frig and put it on the cooker. Cold attracts smoke. I go to sleep and check it when I wake up in the morning.

The good news for you is that the shoulder is the most forgiving piece of meat you can cook. Have fun.
    Last edited by LA Pork Butt; June 19, 2020, 05:49 AM.

Leave a comment:

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here